Endau Rompin National Park, Malaysia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Xomaman, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Xomaman

Xomaman AKA: Critter

Oddometer:
    Well, here we go 08:30 am and off into the wilderness! Sankar73 and I trying to mix up the day a bit by exploring some roads through the Endau Rompin National Park to Mersing...so off we go like a couple of greenhorns! :ear :ear We intended to take the road through the park and come out at Mersing for lunch, piece of cake! Here is the map view;

[​IMG]

At the turn off by route 50 you can see the road is dirt. Not bad and passable by most. As we get in it turns into a red clay dirt road.

[​IMG]

Lucky for us it did not rain although we expected it would. After a while there was old broken tarmac that was worse to ride on than dirt. The reason is the tarmac holes are abrupt and deep while regular dirt holes tend to be rounded and a little smoother.

As we got further in we kept following signs expecting to eventually come out the other end. Hmm…20kms, 30kms, now road turning to mud. :clap

[​IMG]

For our bikes we could do it but the tires are not knobby enough so it made for some tricky crossings.

[​IMG]

Lots of bridges along the way, many four-plank and wooden.

[​IMG]

Some spots on the bridges were primed to get the front tire stuck and high side into the river! I just haul ass across. :D

[​IMG]

Here was one way up there that I had to get off and test first from the looks of it.

[​IMG]

Some of the spots were not bad, but the road overall is a pothole ridden, front-end jarring experience. Probably better done on a dirt bike. Some spots were more like Jeep trails.

[​IMG]

So we get near the end and we start to realize we have been going for about 50km and the signs of exiting the park are not good, especially since I see we are now heading toward these mountains and can’t imagine there is a way through to the other side in this remote of an area.

[​IMG]

The worst is realized when Sankar asks a local guy if we can get out and he says no, the road ends up ahead so you have to go back out the way you came in! Arrg! :puke1 Not the same road again...oh and I am low on fuel thinking we would be in Mersing where I can top off. :doh

At least it’s not raining or we would have been stuck in the mud up to the frames of our bikes! Decided to go to the park HQ and look around.

[​IMG]

These trenches were cool, I think Sankar wanted to try and jump em'!!! :wink:

[​IMG]

Must be for a cable or something.

[​IMG]

There is an old concrete bridge along way to the park headquarters and end of the road, if you see this you are on the right track!

[​IMG]

At some point Sankar’s box decided it liked the place so much it wanted to stay.

[​IMG]

So not bad for a day ride, more challenging than we both expected. But heck, we made it out alive less a few bolts from Sankars box mount!

Finally had "lunch" at about 4 p.m. and made it back to SG about 7 p.m.

Here is the map of the general area and it’s relation to Mersing. The turn off from 50 is at N 02 14.999 E103 35.039 and the park end is at N 02 31.859 E 103 24.915. There is a Caltex gas station a few km before the turn off, better top up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to wash it down and do it again!:clap
  2. stealthpilot313

stealthpilot313 Stealthpilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the trip with us Xomaman. Looked like both of you had great fun. Weather was real kind for the both of you as it had rained here the whole day. Well almost. :D

The co-ordinates will certainly be useful. Were there signs to the Park HQ?How did you folks managed to get the box back onto the bike?:ear
  3. Sankar73

Sankar73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a bungee cord with me which we used to tie the box to the mount hoping for the best. Luckily it held on til we exited the park and up to the Caltex station. A motorbike workshop was just next to the station and I got two pairs of bolts and nuts to secure the Givi base plate to the rack..and we made it back safely... :D
  4. dhfox

dhfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Sankar, what kind of bike is the red one? Looks pretty interesting :evil Thank you for the interesting pictures and ride report!
  5. Indo2002

Indo2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice photos, I rode 5000km in that area on a KTM450 in 2007/2008. Those trenches are to keep the elephants out of the palmolive plantations.

Cheers
  6. Solstice0000

Solstice0000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting road trip - must have been great fun! Am glad you made it out despite the low fuel situation. Can you show us your route on the map?
  7. Sankar73

Sankar73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a Cagiva Gran Canyon... the last of the big trallies built by Cagiva with a Ducati Monster Engine...
  8. Sankar73

Sankar73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bikes like the KTM450, Honda XR4 , etc... would be best suited for this route .
  9. WE300B

WE300B n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun ride.

Thanks for the ride report!
  10. flygirl

flygirl n00bius maximus

Oddometer:
    Sweet, I'm looking at getting a Gran Canyon, and if it could handle that I think it's a done deal! :thumb
  11. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    Nice pics an fabulous ride. You should try Ujung Kulon National Park in Banten West Java someday, home of one-horned rhino. My friend's box did the same thing there as Shankar's. :1drink
  12. Sankar73

Sankar73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, you should get it... its one of those rare bikes that you may regret if you don't get it while you still had a chance...:D
  13. Sankar73

Sankar73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do they rent out bike there to go for such rides? May give it a try as a holiday plan...
  14. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    Nice....RR
  15. artnet

artnet i'm a motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    amazing ....