Enduro Himalaya

Discussion in 'Asia' started by CafeRacer, May 12, 2007.

1. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell me what you all think...

http://www.endurohimalaya.com/intro.htm

I've never attempted something like this before. I come in to these forums and read all about your adventures but haven't embarked on any of my own.

I've been riding for 3 years and am a WSMC club racer. I'd go next August or Septeber so there's a year to prepare.

Cheers.
  2. drklr

drklr MotoTrvlr

Oddometer:
    Seems like a fun adventure! Of course, that depends a little bit on your comfort with riding off road. From the web site it doesn't seem like the riding will be that challenging for someone comfortable with the bike being a little bit loose. The price sure seems reasonable. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
  3. TriggerT

TriggerT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having spent a year in Nepal and India, it sounds cool. Get your shots, ALL of your shots. Also, keep an eye on the polital situation prior to going. Thangs can change quickly. The trains in India are...interesting would be one word. Hell, it is supposed to be an adventure, and that is what it looks like it would be. Go, have fun, keep an open mind, and as I always tell people when traveling THINK!
  4. BeachBusker

BeachBusker R.I.P. George

Oddometer:
    As far as preparation goes, I think all you have to do is pay your money, show up at Heathrow, and pray you're not prone to altitude sickness. 200km days are pretty low key.

If you really want to prepare for something in that part of the world, try:
    China Off Road Rally

If you are worried about riding off-road, there are several Baja Tour operators who will give you a great adventure without the altitude problem. They are a lot closer to home and can customize the tours to your riding skills.

But if you only get two weeks a year..........:grinner
  5. pencipa

pencipa Life, is chance...

Oddometer:
    Previous poster mentioned this...

From experience (I live at sea-level, ski Mammoth 8-11,000') the altitude will really hurt you. Your trip (14-Kft?) is a week-acclimatization at minimum (that is, altitude acclimatization enough to be "functional"). Altitude-sickness is to a certain extent genetic, so while "acclimatization helps everyone" it would be a bummer if you were in the 1% that, at 16,000' simply die or in the 5% that are "disfunctional no-matter-what". Head for your local 10-Kft mountains, camp-up-high, "run around" and if you're OK after 24hrs ("functional"), then good-to-go.

Forget the anecdotal stories, you need just 8,000' to get max-acclimatization-rate and so for as many days as possible ("day" = 12 hours) in the month before you go, spend the day at 8,000' if possible.

Also, Indians ride on the wrong side of the road (like Britain; get your mind right).

I checked the website, saw a deposit $1,000 but didn't research full-cost.

When you next do a reply to the group, would you please post the price? This sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime ride...

PS>> One of my research-projects was pressurized-tents for Everest (that's where I picked up the altitude knowledge). The real-MD's we dealt with scoffed at the amount of anecdotal "science" relayed by climbers.
  6. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Price is 3000 Pounds Sterling. So... $6,000 in today's money.
  7. TriggerT

TriggerT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember the name of the med., but I took along some pills on one of my climbing trips to Ecuador that helped with altitude. I know it was also used in treating diabetics. We went just over 20K feet on that climb, and I didn't have any altitude problems. Couldn't hurt to takethem along, but as I recall you need to start them a few days prior to going up.
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    youre talking about Diamox. Diamox will help you a little with acclimitization but is not a substitue for it. Take it if you like, but you must still must spend some acclimation time. If you start taking Diamox a couple of days before you get to your higher elevations on the trip it could help you feel a bit better. For myself I notice little difference in taking Diamox so I dont take it. If you decide to take it make sure that you dont discover that you have an allergic reaction to Diamox while you are in India. That would be bad.:eek1

People all respond differently to altitude. A rule of thumb for ME is to spend about 10 to 12 days working my way up to the 6000 meter neighborhood, but this is for heavy physical work like snow and ice climbing. Riding an Enfiled over Baralachha-la at under 5000 meters is a bit easier on you than ice climbing. That works well for me but like I said, everone is different.

Dont be scared of altitude, but read up on HAPE and HACE so you can recognize the signs. If you get sick, the only cure is to go down, immediately, which will be quick and easy for you to do on an Enfield, (although some may argue that the words quick/easy/Enfield should not be in the same sentence:lol3 ) Also realize that everyone responds differently so there are no hard and fast rules to acclimatize other than to take your time. For example, I do very well above 5000 meters with proper acclimation and my buddy who is a triathelete and in incredible condition does not acclimate nearly as well. Everyone is different.

I looked at the itinerary and it looks good, you wont get to Baralachha-la until day 10 and you will spend quite a few nights over 3000 meters prior to that. In addition you will not be spending any nights above 3500 m. This is good. You might feel a little crappy jumping from 3300m to 4800m, but you are only passing though and not staying the night above 4000m. Going with a tour could be fun, but also take a look into doing it yourself, more logistics involved but more adventure too, and you'll get to be quite a decent Enfield wrench:D Get Lonely Planet India and take off!

Either way, if you have never traveled in the Indian sub continent I can assure you that it will be the trip of a lifetime. But once you have been to the Himalaya they have a way of calling you back so you will most likely return, great trip, by all means go!:nod
  9. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    So where does this enduro tour begin. I saw the video and it seems they take you thru towards Sangla Valley. The route and vistas are amazing.
  10. dustrider46

dustrider46 I'm just popping out I ma

Oddometer:
    There are 5 trips this year and I think they have sold out!! There is availability for 2009 but check with enduro as people do drop out. I have just come back from Enduroindia where I was one of the Medics. I have also done the Himalaya trip and it is truely AWESOME!! The enduro site now has a nice 19 minute film to watch of our trip last september and has convinced me I need to go again!!:clap On our trip 2 people freaked out at the Heights , one guy went home one went crazy for 2 weeks!! it does get to you with a 1000foot drop just to your left foot ,but you feel incredibly alive and make lifelong friends on the trip check out www.endurohimalaya.com sit back turn up the volume and enjoy the film

Attached Files:

11. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Saw the movie...its brilliant. I have seen these people twice and a lot of them were british. Its good to see all those bullet riders climbing up the himalayas in a line But i still believe its spoils the fun. But then i think about all the inclusions apart from the fact that there will be someone to take care of all the other things while you ride.
  12. Derekdirtking

Derekdirtking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i think you should go for it,i was the same and wondered if i should go ,in the end i sold my motocross bike paid the deposit ,bought all the gear i needed and now im all set to go! best descision ive made! people who dont understand bout bikes/adventure were saying how could i spend so much on going away for two weeks, but sod them ! youve got to get out there and live life !
  13. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
  14. dustrider46

Oddometer:
    I'm Going again this year!! Got the Medic Job for trip 5 going out in September and cant wait!! I guess it will be everybit as challenging as the first time with the added bonus of being fully kitted as a Medic so I can Patch people up as we go!! Last time I went I was fearfull that I would get Mountain sickness and not be able to finish the trip.having done it that worry has gone and even though there are so many ways to die out there ,I reckon I'm going to have an even better time and see more ,its easy to just keep looking at the road ahead and miss the stunning views.So mabe have a think about the trip its now£3500 to go but worth every penny!!:D :D :D
  15. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    And that does include your return fare. Right ?
  16. dustrider46

Oddometer:
    yes return Flights from Heathrow fly with Virgin ,you can upgrade to Premium economy for about £400 or upper class for £1200 !! Money well spent as its a long flight and you dont want to be riding there feeling like crap from the flight!!:deal

Attached Files: