Enduro Mountain Bike Racing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mikem9, Aug 7, 2019.

1. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Who participates in mountain bike enduro racing? Edit: Maybe we can make this into an Enduro MTB thread?
  2. LMSB

LMSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobody
    swimmer likes this.
  3. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    A lot of nobody at my local races. I should probably take it up as it's going to kill off XC at some of my local events.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  4. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Was talking with an old friend from dirt biking (enduro etc.). He said he was really enjoying enduro mountain bike racing. Said it was a good blend of fun, camaraderie, and exercise. Evidently, it's really taking off in terms of participants. Just wondering if other advr's have participated.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I participate in both enduro and mountain bike racing.
  6. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm still a XC nerd at heart, so I tend to sign up for those events instead of the enduros- but a lot of friends really prefer enduros for all the reasons you mentioned.

Also, it's peculiar in that it is the ONLY bicycle racing discipline I've seen that has anything even approaching an even 50/50 split of men and women participating. (At least in the local events I've attended).
    Ridge likes this.
  7. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Motor Enduro or MTB Enduro? or both?
  8. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    My friend said he felt it was so popular because Enduro MTB requires you to stay in decent shape in order to do well at racing, but winning doesn't necessarily go to the fittest or one that suffers the most. He said the vibe was a lot like dirt biking in the old days - a lot of fun and laughter. He said he enjoyed thrill of the timed sections then riding up to the next section, untimed, conversing with his buddies. Sounds cool.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Moto enduro and XC mtb racing. Around here bicycle "enduro" is all very short courses or stretches of trail. Not nearly the same fitness required and actual racing times are short, but maybe need more skill on jumping and railing berms. Plus those bikes tend to be heavy and there is very little pedaling uphill involved. So that being said, it may be fun, but I'm looking more for the fitness XC racing provides, so it makes me a better moto enduro and HS racer.

And there are far more XC races here than enduros.
  10. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I understand. Do you find the pedal bike helps with moto handling skill as well as fitness, or mainly fitness?
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Generally I would say yes to both.

I started riding and racing dirt bikes, before mountain bikes existed. But like any kid I had bicycles very early and rode them on the street and trails. I also have a strong background racing crits and road races and have floated back and forth between moto and bike racing.

For me I'd say it's mainly fitness, because my skills are developed in both and at this age, I'm losing skill and fitness slowiy. I have some friends who are very good mtb racers and bought dirt bikes. A few adapted very quickly and some just are painfully slow on a dirt bike. Moto is obviously heavier, more powerful, can get you into trouble quickly if done wrong. Mtb is less intimidating.

I look at it as cross training no matter which discipline you're focused on. Each compliments each other to some degree.

And I've got to add this, if you really want to develop your skill, buy a moto trials bike or bicycle. Riding and competing in trials builds skills that transfer over to the big bikes.
    North ride likes this.
  12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe next year.
    In 2019 I ain’t racing anything. No motorcycles, no dirties, and no bicycles.
    2019 is the year of smelling the roses.

However, enduro mtb racing has a pretty big draw in New England. My only problem is all the events are 2.5-3hrs away on average, if not more. That, and I think they’re overpriced.
    But after racing NETRA enduros for the past few years, no discipline is going to beat that cost for your racing dollar ratio.
    Perspective, I guess.
    North ride likes this.
  13. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I do. Past couple of years now on a casual basis. Here in Southern CA, there are a couple local series that are not too far away and not cost prohibitive to participate in. It’s not EWS level tracks or anything but fun nevertheless. I do it just for myself and way to gauge my improvement on my bike management skills. Some guys take it serious but most are like me and in it for the fun. I have been out of commission this past summer due to a shoulder separation but inching to get on the saddle.
  14. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Oh, just wanted to add, like DH racing, its hard on equipment. Derails, tires, rear rims, suspension parts, handlebars, brake pads, its all considered regular consumable parts. I have yet to crack a frame but have personally seen about 5 in less than 1 season. All carbon frames, most due to crashes but couple from just hard riding. It will expose any manufacturing defects pretty quickly.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm racing a cyclocross tomorrow, does that count?
  16. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Only if you're not timed on the uphill portions. :D
    2whlrcr likes this.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Just got home and you know what? They made us ride uphill! Well actually I had to walk uphill. lol
  18. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    LIES! There are no hills in Iowa... :hide
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That's what these people thought too...:D

[​IMG]
    Ridge and Mr. Ray like this.
  20. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living in Pisgah national Forest I'll race what I can afford. I'm terrible at MTB because I'm 290# and in varying shape. I'm terrible Moto Enduro because I'm afraid of the bike. I love all of them.