Enemy in your Midst. Convince me....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Johnnyutah25840, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Johnnyutah25840

Johnnyutah25840 Freelance Gynecologist

Oddometer:
    OK, for some Odd reason, I am finding myself wanting to ditch the DR for a GS 800 more and more. But I need some convincing.

When something goes wrong on the DR, most likely I can fix it. A BMW, I probably couldn't change the oil filter.

If I need a part, my nearest Suzuki dealer is 20 miles away. My nearest Beamer Dealer is 3 hours away and that guy works out of his garage really.

I really enjoy riding in the dirt and the rocks and the mud. I don't feel so bad bangin the DR around and sinkin it almost to the tank in water. Would buying the GS make me more nervous about havin that kind of fun? Would buying a GS turn me into a poozy? In my head, a 5k investment is one thing, a 12k investment is another.

So come on. Convince me. I really want to justify that bike.

:lurk :ear
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can't justify it. It is a completely irrational purchasing decision, but I do love my F800GS even though I do ride it like a pussy (I'll get over that eventually).

BTW, wrong forum. You should post this quesiton in "Beasts".
  3. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Will do.

Delete away mods.
  4. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    OK, for some Odd reason, I am finding myself wanting to ditch the DR for a GS 800 more and more. But I need some convincing.

When something goes wrong on the DR, most likely I can fix it. A BMW, I probably couldn't change the oil filter.

If I need a part, my nearest Suzuki dealer is 20 miles away. My nearest Beamer Dealer is 3 hours away and that guy works out of his garage really.

I really enjoy riding in the dirt and the rocks and the mud. I don't feel so bad bangin the DR around and sinkin it almost to the tank in water. Would buying the GS make me more nervous about havin that kind of fun? Would buying a GS turn me into a poozy? In my head, a 5k investment is one thing, a 12k investment is another.

So come on. Convince me. I really want to justify that bike.
    :ear
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't do it!

There. How do you feel?
  6. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Only if you did it on the GS.:deal
  7. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no justyfication.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    read the "don't drop your 800"" thread. maybe that will help you make up your mind.
  9. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was completely paralyzed at the first sight of the F800GS. Must have, must have, .... I could not sleep, I was not eating properly, I was depressed, my sex drive was gone,... I was almost a complete wreck by the time I got to the dealership and rode off with one. I am back to normal now.
  10. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    I had a similar predicament. Had a 1-year-old KLX 250, and loved dropping it over and over again in the mud. Saw the F800 and began to drool. Test rode the F800 and began to whine while straining at my leash. Bought the F800 on a whim one Saturday night 10 minutes before the dealer closed and rode home in a snowstorm. The KLX, which was slated for sale to help finance the BMW, remains in the garage for mud, snow, and general mayhem. I couldn't be happier with my current stable (including a '74 R90/6), and have a choice of bikes that covers ALL the bases. Just my $.02.
  11. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    sad :cry
  12. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decision made then. Buy it!
  13. Gravehunter

Gravehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your DR worth much money?
    Unless its pretty new i'd think its value would be peanuts compared to the BMW 800. How about keep the DR for the more severe offroad and the 800 for the rest!? Or just keep it for a while and see if the 800 fills all your needs then make a decision down the road to sell or not sell it. ????
  14. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the BMW floats your boat buy it...it's a helluva bike....but why sell the DR? It would be great to have an older / cheaper bike to bang around. Hell EVERYONE needs a spare bike.

Used DR's aren't exactly high dollar........
  15. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    I am definitely on board with you there. I'd love to have both. The wife isn't so fast to hop on that wagon, but I'm there. Get what I want, try not piss off the old lady in the process. She really doesnt understand the need for 2 bikes. I'd like to just do it, but living with the consequences might not be worth it. She's pregnant, fragile, hormonal, thinkin that Obama is gonna put me out of a job with socialized healthcare, etc.

I guess I need to schedule a ride. :evil
  16. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    LMAO... well said.
  17. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    RC seriously I haven't said anything to you before but come on man, do you just troll any poll that brings up the 800GS and start talking trash?
  18. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    Did I move this to Jo Momma somehow?

Back to task at Hand. How is the 800 in slop? What repair issues if any? Maintainence sched? Does it have to go to a dealer for everything or can someone with some basic knowledge wrench it?
  19. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to "normal", eh? Now you're paralyzed by the fear of putting the first scratch or ding on it. And you spend hours in the garage gazing at it when you should be be spanking it (the bike not the monkey).
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the F800 in slop yet. And I don't think I'll be taking mine into slop much (intentionally). Mere mortals like me will drop the bike a lot, and that's going to get expensive.
    Nothing other than a few teething pains, hose clamps, etc. I'm sure someone here will chime in about "The Clunk." But it's a new bike. The jury's still out.
    Pretty easy. Oil change and a few adjustments every 6000 miles. AFAIK the only difficulty in servicing it yourself is access to the right tools, and the need to have the computer service nanny reset. But others here may know more.

David