Enemy in your Midst. Convince me....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Johnnyutah25840, Feb 27, 2009.

1. R1150gsadvrider

R1150gsadvrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a 800 and only use it on the hwy (way toooooo expensive to R&R) and keep ol' reliable to pound on in the dirt. I'm going to get pounded for being a poser but a BMW is just too expensive to use as a dirt bike, and they just don't handle as well as a smaller bike designed for the task.
  2. rsimpson

rsimpson Long Way OK?

Oddometer:
    I thrash my GS in the dirt. Just some $20 fog light brackets are all I break. They are tanks.
  3. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Off to beasts and then merged

JJ
  4. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    You have already made up your mind "see above"
  5. rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, JohnnyUtah, do you live in Utah?

I've been to BMW rallies in Colorado to see the guys rolling in from Idaho, Montana, N.Dakota, and Minnesota on their DSed DRs, and the GS guys drool on em. They go out on the "GS rides" and barely break a sweat.

Reinforce your sub frame, hang some bags on her, and maybe put on/in some fresh susp. springs. You have a practically new machine for less than $1K.

Even if you get an 800, keep the DR650.
  6. Johnnyutah25840

Johnnyutah25840 Freelance Gynecologist

Oddometer:
    Please dont take offense guys, but the more and more I read on the BMW, it reminds me of my uncles Range Rover. He goes on those Range Rover Owners "Trail Adventures". Trail adventures where someone goes through and clears out all the trees and boulders before the group goes through. Not really into a total streeter, and if i was, I'd get something the wife would be a little more comfortable on. Thanks for all of the input. It was extremely helpful.

But then again, this is another spoke in the wheel when it comes to makin a decision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_yUmLQaGs

:super
  7. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, how do you know what I do in the privacy of my garage? You been talking to Ami again? I did put a fridge out there yesterday so I don't have to leave my bike to get a beer. I had to put one of the 300's in the barn to make room for the fridge.
  8. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Be sure to keep the DR

......so you have something to ride while the BMW is waiting for parts.

If you (like me) feel secure about going just about anywhere on your bike (and Utah is a BIG place) because you know you're competent to repair just about any glitch you have at trailside.....KEEP the DR.

Have one look under the BMW's "tank"....many many wires. Learn how it fuels and runs....computers, small motors, black boxes, tiny tiny fuel injuector ports. See the posts about dropping the bike. See the posts about sudden fuel cut-off problems.

I'm sure the bike is great but it's about as complex as the space shuttle. You're taking a quantum leap up in complexity. Technology is great....as long as it works....me....the fewer things Murphys Law can affect...the happier I am.

So along with this...buy a sat. phone and a small tent to provide shade while your waiting for your $10,000 helicopter rider back to civilization.
  9. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Virtually all cars today are fuel injected, all have ABS (unfortunately), the CAN bus is pretty much standard. None of these things scares people from driving their cars across Utah, albeit a paved road is quite a haven relative to the outback. I do understand your concern, and every so often I think about it, but heck an adventure is an adventure.

If just getting from point to point and checking the scenary is why you ride, then the DR or KLR is a great choice if not the best choice. If you are riding out there for the challenge and the ride itself then the bigger bikes provide a more interesting experience IMO.

Having said all that, I would certainly keep the DR. I've had lots of seat time on a couple, and I must say they get it done quite well.
  10. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    A couple of guys have done RTW on the F800GS already and I was surprised that they actually complained about a few things .... but over all, no fatal errors like the shafties. These bikes seem like the real deal. Good on BMW.
    Hope the things stay trouble free.

I don't see the F800GS as much of a two up bike however. I've ridden one and it felt a bit tight for two. I was impressed at the light handling and positive feedback on dirt however, and the good control on loose fireroads (TKC's mounted ... a must)

Was it as surefooted as my DR650? No, but it wasn't bad, in fact for the weight (490 lbs. wet) it felt damn good to me!!

It's a good fun bike but it's a high tech gee whiz BMW and trust me .... they DO want you to bring it to them for service. Sure CANbus has been in cars for twenty years, but when BMW got hold of it, they found a way to screw it up. Same with ABS systems. The Germans are just not that good with electronic systems.

If you keep the thing on the road it will stay nice and retain it's value well.
    I don't see it as a two up touring bike or a full on dual sport bike.
    I'd rather have a Vstrom, Tiger, RT, anything. But as a fun sporty back road bike (it's pretty fast) the F800GS hits the mark pretty good. That motor is pretty quick revving with good torque, bit of vibes however on highway.

The BMW is expensive but you've got a 3 year warranty (I'd buy an extended as well). This bike is not fully vetted yet but most reports are good .... except the ones about crashing. Hey, its a heavy and expensive street bike ... what did anyone expect? :huh

I crashed my DR .... jeez, I had to replace a plastic hand guard and a bar end weight! Dammit! Cost me about $20:rofl

I'm going for a new Tiger soon. Road only, no dirt pretentions ... keeping my DR of course. I love that bike! Spent today servicing it ... what a joy. So simple.
  11. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    I think I'm am just going to mess around and change some things on the DR. Maybe get another set of rims and tires I can switch out for now, and maybe a Wee Strom in the plans for later for 2 up street.

The BMW is starting to remind me of that hot ass chick you can't wait to get home and get in the sack. But a few weeks later, you realize how high maintainence she is and you wish you would have taken home her cute, funny, beer swilling friend instead (insert DR here).

Thanks for all of the even keeled advice. Cheers, J
  12. BillC

BillC Banned

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb
  13. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... You already went ugly early. Maybe you should think about swinging for the fences.
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    You didn't even test ride one? :huh

David
  15. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    I'll probably set up a test ride, just pretty sure which way I'm headed. And if the test ride cant get me off road, I need to wait to get ahold of someone that will before I make a decision.
  16. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    Never go ugly. Go exotic, go different, go cute, but never ugly.
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    You will thank yourself in the long run.

BMW's especially the latest ones are
    overpriced status symbols like range rover and benz Gwagons
    Yea they might be able to go off road, they might even be ok at it
    However there are so many more rigs out there that are much better suited and at far less initial cost and long term cost.

The upside is that you can still get parts for 20 year old BMW's
    The downside is that BMW thinks these parts are made of gold
    and you pay for them as if they are made of gold.
  18. JemezMtns

JemezMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are all different, eh. One guy might be a poozy 'cuz he's got a beemer, another might thrash it just like any other bike. Most of us fall in between somewhere.

When I bought my KLR650 three years ago I treated her real careful and kept her shiny and bright. I tried to be careful with it too. Now I look at it and it's got a bunch of scratches and gouges on the plastic, several parts have been replaced from relatively minor crashes......but with proper maintenance it is still the same bike and performs the same way. Just faded and real broke in.

I fully expect that my new (since December) F800GS is going to look just as faded and scratched up three years from now as the KLR does now. It is just the way I ride. I have already dropped it once; no problems, just scratches. It will still perform as well as it does now, but won't be as pretty.

It's what you call the "honeymoon" period. When you first buy anything new.

I like the extras like the ABS (can be switched off for dirt), trip computer, power socket, and three year warranty that the KLR didn't have. I also like the extra power.....twice as many ponies makes for fun zoom-zoom on the asphalt. All those extras add up .... so I think you are actually buying more bike and warranty for the more money. A proper economist might be able to do a valuation that would show that the bang for buck is not that bad in comparison.

It is not a bad do it all kind of bike. And, like the KLR and other big DS bikes, it is not the best on either the dirt or the slab; it tries to be the best at being able to do both.

I am paying the price of not getting rid of the KLR like I promised. My wife is pretty PO'd about the fake out there.....gonna sell it to my brother I think so it will still be in the family.

If you don't take her home, you'll always wonder what it would have been like to have that beauty queen. You can always get another beer swilling hose beast at the local saloon.
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy riding in the dirt and the rocks and the mud. I don't feel so bad bangin the DR around and sinkin it almost to the tank in water. Would buying the GS make me more nervous about havin that kind of fun? Would buying a GS turn me into a poozy? In my head, a 5k investment is one thing, a 12k investment is another.

So come on. Convince me. I really want to justify that bike.

:lurk :ear[/quote]

If that is what you want to do, then I agree, that you don't need a 85hp, $12,000 bike to do it.
    What I wanted to do was explore back roads and locations that most people won't see, because its too isolated or the road is too rough. If a few of those "fun things" happen, so much the better. I have a 650 thumper for the roads you like and I will reserve it for doing what you described.
    I have been riding for 37 years and never owned a BMW, I have a good dealer, but I still don't care for the Corporate attitude.
    I waited for a Japanese equivalent until I realized I am getting old, I had the $ and life is too short. I bought the 800gs basically because the engine reminded of the TDM I owned for 11 years, it seemed less top heavy than the KTM and I could flat foot it. The Rotax motors have good reputations and I ordered a base bike, thinking fewer electrical gremlins that BMW is noted for having.
    Having ridden the bike for a while I realized that the suspension was built to a budget and in little ways, BMW has created a bike that almost guarantees that you will be using their service dept. more than you like.
    In spite of all the reasons I have given not to buy the bike, I like it and the 650 gets pretty lonesome. Coming from any of the Japanese singles you need no learning curve because handling wise it will feel the same just with twice the horsepower.
    The criticism I hear about this model just does not ring true with me. No it doesn't have the HP of a KTM but it has an engine that will lug down, ease through slippery stuff without spinning the tire, if that is what you want, yet spool up very quickly if needed. The gearing is about right. The frame and geomatry seems to be spot on. All which makes it a pretty easy and forgiving ride. On my last ride, I filled the tank to the brim and got 225 miles to reserve and when I filled it I was good for 245 which I thought was sufficient. If I need more I will carry it.
    After being on this forum for a number of years I have concluded there seems to be two types that post here. One group rides for the enjoyment of testing themselves and their machines against the elements. The other, like me, just want to explore places that have not been converted to a housing development:wink:. When you decide which type you belong to, the bike decision will be easy.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1