Enemy in your Midst. Convince me....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Johnnyutah25840, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BuelUly

BuelUly Vitamin XB12X

Oddometer:
    Stop sounding like your purse shopping with your girlfriends! You sound like your a pounder. Get one that #1 fits your size/style, #2 get the one you can slam down hard and get back up and go. Go get a KTM if you want a majority of dirt on your bike.
  2. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is so true about BMW. Thanks for sharing that.
  3. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    That has not been my experience at all. I am on my fourth BMW, and not a single one has ever been back to the dealer for any reason. They have been very reliable and very easy to work on.
  4. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a moped. We're not car salesmenÂ…and we certainly don't work for BMW. What a ridiculous question to ask.

Convince us that you're not a dumb-ass.
  5. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    I love my F800GS. I bought this bike so I could get on it and ride into the Colorado mountains and get off the beaten path. I did not buy this bike to trailer it and go ride single track. Are you seriously going to ride 2 hours on the road to ride single track, beat it to death and ride it home? If you are only going to ride down the road for a few miles to get to the dirt which it sounds like what you want then this probably is not the bike you want. But if you want to be able to ride across the country and mix in some dirt along the way, this is the bike you want!
  6. priller

priller -

Oddometer:

bmw (800) is probably a fine machine. i've never ridden one and only had a chance to sit on one on mc show. it felt decent but nothing matching what you described above. i can admit that i really like your attitude. do yourself a favor and keep it easy going and laid-back. read some more bmw related threads to see what i mean. :wink:
  7. Johnnyutah25840

Johnnyutah25840 Freelance Gynecologist

Oddometer:
    Hey Spring, respectfully to you sir, fuck off. You don't want to give advice on the bike, cost, best useage, don't. Find another thread to "contribute" to. You want to be an ass, visit JoMomma. I didnt post in Jo mamoma for the simple fact that I wanted some opinions on the bike from those that ride it or have experience with it. Not some asshole that feels it is their job to flare up on an internet site like they are billy bad ass and spout insults. so I reiterate....fuck off.

And before anyonse says that I called BMW riders "poozies" read the post in context and you'll see that the question posed is would that expensive of a bike, that is that expensive to repair, make me more hesitant to enjoy the rocks, the mud, the water, and the slop.

Cheers, J
  8. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    My average trips on the pavement for play range from about 70-175 miles on the pavement, then about 4 -5 hours in the dirt. The DR works well for this, but I must admit, the few 8+ hour trips I took last summer seemed like a lot longer. Hopefully I can talk someone into a nice long ride on the 800 to make a decision. Again, thanks for all of the advice on the bike.
  9. springfish

Oddometer:
    Great points. How about using the search function to find more threads on the pros/cons of this bike instead of creating another thread regurgitating the same points of view?

But you've already done thatÂ…right? And had to make a thread dedicated to "helping" you make a decision you've already made. Nice work. We could use MORE useless threads like this.

Quit being such a sheep and make your own decisions.
  10. Johnnyutah25840

Oddometer:
    You'e absolutely right. For some reason I thought this was some type of forum where I could interact with other people, talk, ask questions. I now realize that this is simply an encyclopedia and Index that I should search for topics and only read what has been written. I shall abstain from posting or asking questions from here on out. I thought thats what these forums were for. My bad.

BTW, skip wheaties for breakfast if someone keeps pissin in em. Cheers,
  11. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are several problems with this story, but the tax return tops the list. How could any rational person have a tax return that big? Dude you need to get some serious tax planning advice. You want to owe them money (keep yours as long as possible), not the other way around.

Secondly why would you set your truck on fire and pull it up on a flagpole with your F800GS?

Thirdly why would BMW NA pay off a claim for your burnt out truck. BMW does not even sell trucks in NA I don't think.
  12. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:

Do It... It will feel good.

Doesn't that make you happier ?:evil

You can claim the Devil made you do it.:lol3
  13. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    This from a guy who started two different threads to determine what color the most people would like his bike to be...
  14. OBJMS33

OBJMS33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  15. priller

priller -

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  16. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I'm not here to dissuade you from considering a F8GS, but does your DR have a proper seat and a big tank? With the IMS tank and the Renazco seat, I've done several 350 mile days on mine, including singletrack. I think the F8 is a fine bike, but I would only buy one to replace my Tiger, not the DR.
  17. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're welcome to ride mine, but you have to come here to do it (or wait for Westfest)...

Seriously, I'm pretty stoked about mine. I'm not afraid to ride it wherever. If I scratch it, bfd.
  18. springfish

Oddometer:
    Very true, however I think that was more of a discussion on a topic that HASN'T been covered ad nauseam.

And ironically, my bike is STILL yellow and black. For shame! :rofl
  19. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Johnny,
    The reaction your getting getting from poozies like Springflop and Tmex are typical ..... you can see this happen on hundreds of BMW related threads anytime BMW get any sort of valid criticism. These losers go into full-on defense/attack mode and seem willing to die to protect the reputation of bMW and the fatherland. :evil Most of these guys are posers, don't know shit about dirt riding and have no idea what a dual sport bike can do.

Remember, ADV is a BMW board essentially, so you'll never get away from the Zealots here and the mods will zap this thread to Jo Momma anytime BMW is getting beat on. This one is headed there ... just wait. Tmex will run to a mod and complain :cry :cry . He's done it before ....

The funny thing is Asshats like Tmex defending BMW and he's never ridden the F800GS .... he's just a Troll, plain and simple. I've seen his jive
    all over ADV.

I'm not a BMW fan but I must say I liked the F800GS on my short ride on my buddies brand new one. It's certainly worth a test ride. I wouldn't go into debt for one! If you can't afford .... just forget it!

I've ridden the big GS's extensively ... all of them, 1100, 1150, 1200. I don't like them mostly because they are too big, too heavy and too expensive. The FACT they have a HIGH failure history exacerbates the case against and puts them out of contention for me ... and it looks like more riders are coming to this conclusion the more they see the facts and learn the dismal reliability history.

Would a F800GS displace your DR650 off road? No way. I realize lots of guys on ADV have plenty of disposable income and don't worry about trashing a new GS ... I've seen plenty of them do it .... IN PERSON. They laugh and take pictures and think they're real adventure guys. Then go down to the BMW and pick up $3000 worth of parts .... and they're proud of that!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OUCH!!!

As I dirty old Enduro guy, I hate falling off, and rarely do.

As mentioned, if you're looking for more usefulness from your DR I would definitely look into an aftermarket seat. Maybe a shield for longer rides?
    They come on and off pretty easy. I've done long rides on my DR and was pleasantly surprised at it's long distance ability. I'm no Iron Butt but you can do some pretty serious touring on it if it's set up right.

The F800 will be faster and a better road bike. But my impression was it wasn't all that smooth at 75 to 80mph on highway. Non DR650 riders assume it's a viby nightmare on the highway ... it's not, IMHO.

I've ridden mine down to Baja ..... and back ... twice (1000 R/T). Did about 600 miles off road down there and rode it home. Loved every minute of it.
    Would my DR match my WR250 in Baja rough stuff? No way, but I made it around pretty good, I just avoided the really technical stuff. I did tougher stuff than this but was typical. The DR did really good in deep sand. Try that on ANY GS.
    [​IMG]

I also rode the DR out to Colorado last Summer .... did four 400 mile days back to back. Not that bad! To the BMW guys this is laughable of course. But I went places in Nevada, Utah and Colorado most GS guys would not be comfortable doing (... Jimmy Lewis and company excepted:D )
  20. springfish

Oddometer:
    I for one don't love BMW, though so far my 800 has been a lot of fun. And I certainly don't know shit about riding, on OR off-road. I'm learning and I'm loving every "adventure" I find myself in, regardless of how "core" it is.

Yes this is a public forum and people can post whatever they wish. However I still don't understand how another thread discussing the pros/cons of the 800 makes any sense. This coming from a guy who reads everything I can regarding the 800!

My reaction to this thread, and Johnny for that matter, was no doubt out of line and misguided. I'm just anxious for meaningful conversations regarding the bike than more opinions on matters already covered.