Enemy in your Midst. Convince me....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Johnnyutah25840, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    So, by your own admission you know nothing about off road riding yet you seek to STOP any discussion/comparison of the 800GS with the DR or looking at off road abilities/use of both bikes or other bikes?

It's all part of it. I don't follow GS threads much .... are there many comparing a DR/KLR/XR-L, KTM 640/Husky/ to the F800GS?

If you've never ridden your F800GS off road .... and don't plan to ... why did you buy it? Or is this going to be "your first dual sport bike" ? Jesus, I hope not. Little tip here from a old dirt bike phart :

Novice Old guys on heavy street bikes trying to ride in the dirt equal a world of pain and misery. See pics above! :lol3
  2. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not what I'm saying. First of all, I rode quite a bit of moto when I was younger. I've also been a sponsored downhill mountain bike racer for the past 8 years. I'm NOT looking to stop any comparison of ANY bikes. There are quite a few comparison threads (800 vs KLR / 990 / etc.) This thread isn't about comparisons…though it became that, at least a little bit. This thread was about convincing someone to buy a bike. Period.

So far, the only riding I've done on the 800 has been off-road and it's be great. Albeit the weather up here in Oregon has been a little slick! ;) Regardless, I bought the bike because I want to ride the thousands of miles of fireroads, jeep tracks that this area has to offer with my camping and fishing gear and have a great time. I also want to be able to actually ride my bike to neighboring mountains, deserts, etc., without trailering my bike. So far the 800 has proven, to me at least, that it's going to fit that usage perfectly.

Yes, this is my first dual-sport bike. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, I really like it! It rarely gets washed and it's constantly covered in mud. My panniers (this time of year) are more often filled with tall boys of Rainer and camping gear as nothing makes me happier than exploring the wilderness around here with a few friends and enjoying some cold ones around a campfire.

Does this make me a "poozie" as you previously stated? If so, I'll wear the label with pride. I'm not a brand advocate. I wouldn't give a damn if the BMW logos were stripped from the sides of my bike, that is along as it were due to crashes and not some asshole with a screwdriver. I ride because it's fun and it constantly floods my two-wheeled dreams. Period.
  3. springfish

Oddometer:
    And for the record I'm 34. The pic in my avatar is a guy named Ralphie (RIP) who used to sell my friends and I truck loads of firewood for $20 a pop during our downhill mountain biking days at Plattekill Mountain in upstate New York.
  4. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I guess I took your words below to indicate Novice, first time dirt guy.
    Can't imagine how I could be so far off! :lol3

34 eh? Just a kid. Enjoy your bike. Oregon is great country for exploring I would think. I've only scratched the surface of it in terms of off road.
  5. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Pot kettle black… just a miror image

JJ
  6. springfish

Oddometer:
    No worries…and I am a novice when it comes to navigating a 500lb+ bike off-road. I find it hard to believe few aren't.
  7. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, the "man" is here .... I guess Tmex phoned it in?

Hey John ... have you really read this thread? All of it?

"mirror image" ? Care to elaborate? :ear
  8. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    Lordy! Lordy! Ya gots ta love soap opera...
  9. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, actually I currently own 4 KTM's - 2 300EXC's, 360MXC, and 400EXC. Additional there is a TE510 in my stable. On the BMW side I currently own an R1200GS, and HP2 (enduro), and an F800GS. I have several other sport bikes in the stable, but that is not relevant here.

I have been riding dirt bikes for a long time and have been dual sporting before the notion became popular.

Also, I have never complained to a mod about anything on this or any other forum.

So, I guess I have no idea where you are coming from or what axe you are trying to grind or where you are getting your misinformation. My guess is that you are quite young, may or may not own a motorcycle, and most probably live with your parents.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Guys, guys. Django seems to slouch on over here to piss in the BMW punch bowl whenever he gets in a mood. Ignore him.

David
  11. Johnnyutah25840

Johnnyutah25840 Freelance Gynecologist

Oddometer:
    Ok, lets all put on our ABS brakes for a sec. Hell, let the thread die.

Last thing I wanted to do was stir up some shit storm. Not my style. Beisdes, I go to JM for that.

Maybe I should have titled the thread "Help me convince my-self". Its a damn good looking bike with certain good, certain bad reputations. I found my self wanting one and in a spot to get one. BUT, I'm not made of money and I like to ride how I ride. All in all, I did get some of the feedback I was looking for. I've asked alot of people for input not just here. I mean if you only ask a Chevy guy how great his chevy is, you already have your story.

And spring, if you're a pro downhiller, we are the last 2 that should ever get in a pissin match. I am sure we have quite a few mutual friends. Peace, J
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

Good Idea to let this thread die. You sucked me in and I gave an answer to your origninal question. Didn't see a single "geta BMW the rest stink" response that some post. Should have noticed that you joined this month 41 posts, 14 in this thread and the majority of the remainder in Jo Mamma. Now your are telling people to fuck off. I suggest to stick to Jo Mamma, with your attitude you will go far. :asshat
  13. Johnnyutah25840

Johnnyutah25840 Freelance Gynecologist

Oddometer:
    Excuse my confusion, but I'm still trying to figure out where I was the first one to insult anybody? The post your reference wasn't just out of the blue. I didn't respond like that to a guy that gave me an actual answer to some of the questions I was asking. He gave a dick answer, I gave a dick reply.

Also, I was unaware that post count and join date of the ADV site is what validates you as a rider/member of the human race. I'll look that one up.
  14. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe your are right. When this site was smaller, you were more apt to get an intelligent answer presented with warts and all. There was even some people who could provide more technical information about a particular model that you could actually use. It just seems to me that as the site has grown, the answer is more apt to be, unless its (fill in the blank) its shit. This site is difficult to search but you don't have to, because the question will be asked every couple of days, so just find an area of interest and look at what was asked yesterday. Frankly I don't care whats the best bike is for the generic you, nor what tires you put on it, or the oil you put in it. Nor do I care what you think of my choices. Your flippant remark, as well as several others just triggered a response that was directed more at you than maybe it should have been.
    Now if this gets punted to Jo Mamma I feel the same way about that place. I used to enjoy some of those threads because there were people who just had a way to to parse a funny answer. They were story tellers, not full of one liners, meant to be directed at anyone in particular in order to hurt or insult.
    I think I will just be an observer for a while, maybe check now and then to see if the site has imploded.:cob
  15. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Well this quote is sure to piss of the BMW faithful.

John Stuart Bloor OBE, (born 1944) is an English business magnate, best known for reviving the Triumph Motorcycles name. In 2007 Triumph overtook BMW as the top-selling European motorcycle in America.

per Wikipedia

Oh yes.....yes I said it TRIUMPH rules......:rofl
    wait.....I own both BMW and Triumph......crap!
  16. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Your assumptions are showing… I've been monitoring this thread for some time.

JJ
  17. rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The truck was backed up; to pull the bike to the top of the flagpole while it burned, the crowd drank and cheered, our tax lawyer was there. Insurance company paid out $11,876 and sent the bill to BMW for a known problem with leaks in the EFI system. What started as a joke turned out to be good clean fun, and a profit!!?:freaky
  18. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would just flywheel through that stuff. I certainly know how you feel, but once you get the hecklers calibrated (and most people do) it is more like background noise. The music is still there.
  19. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, I think the notion of "BMW faithful" is just plain wrong. My riding bros have a variety of bikes for a variety of purposes. In our conversations the notion of brand loyalty never even arises. I am sure Harley sells more bikes than Triumph or BMW in America, but that does not influence my opinion of either Harley or BMW or Triumph.

Secondly, I am delighted to see Triumph revive even though I do not currently own one. More choices is always a good thing. Last weekend my GF and I were passed on a fire road by a 950SE and SV1000. They waited up for us when the fireroad joined the pavement, and we had a great and lengthy conversation about motorcycling in the area we were in. Nobody said a thing about brand although everyone was ogling everyone elses bike and asking lots of questions. Good stuff. That's how life should be.

Forums bring out the worst in people - like RC51 and his flagpole story. Everyone knows it is ridiculous, what is the point of it?
  20. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Humor. Sorry to hear about your lack of it.:cry It brought some much needed levity to this somber thread.:D