Enemy in your Midst. Convince me....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Johnnyutah25840, Feb 27, 2009.

1. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a chuckle out of the flagpole story. :)
  2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Same here. This place has too many inmates who lack the ability to laugh... not that there's anything wrong with that. These Fanceseseses need to lighten up.:evil
  3. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually do get a laugh from RC51, but not for the same reason you do.
  4. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Yes, humor.....that was my point as well.

Triumph BMW......did you note, I own BOTH, not only poking fun at "brand loyalty bias" but myself in the process.

I have owned just about every brand (except the high dollar Italian ones)

and feel whatever bike makes you happy thats what matters.

Laugh a little folks, lifes to short! :freaky oh and drink some to........
  5. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it. I just wanted to rant on the notion of brand loyalty as it related to the thread in general. When someone asks what brand to buy and you give an honest answer you get accused of being one of the "XXXX faithful". I have absolutely no brand loyalty either with the possible exception that I would never buy anything made in France or Vermont.
  6. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Mannn.... I can't believe I just read 6 pages of playground maturity fighting. Who cares what who rides. Utah. I love my 650 twin and wish I'd known that I fit the 800 better. No, the twins aren't "simple" bikes, but they're less complicated than you think. Notice it's people who don't own them telling you not to buy one and pointing out deficiencies that they've never experienced and only maybe heard about? And it's people who do own them telling you to buy them? We're all partial to what we have. It's life. Just go test ride one. If you like, you like, if you don't you don't. During the honeymoon period you'll definitely baby it, but if you do buy one, sooner or later you'll unleash the beast. I bought a sweetass new car radio with bluetooth, iPod connectivity, HD radio. You can bet the first three weeks I took the anti theft face off everytime I park. Now I rarely do. This summer I'm doing South and Central America on my 650 that's costed me around 14k so far... it worries me, yeah, but being worried isn't going to stop me.

[​IMG]
  7. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    :rofl

:clap

LOVE the pic. Thats priceless!

Now we're lightening up!
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    I thought we were letting this thread die?! :shoot

I own one and I've raced cross country, enduro, baja 1000 and trail ridden everything in the southwest. IMO, this is not a bike for single track. Will it do it, sure! I'm not a big guy so flicking a bike of this size, regardless of how light it feels, is not something I want to do in the woods, rocks or mud! I will buy something more specific for those things. Is it a bike that I would hop on to commute every day or ride to places that are off the beaten path, hell yes! :clap Lost mining towns look out!

Right now, I won't touch a single track cause its still my baby! Will I ride single track in 3 years, probably. Yet this is not something that I will seek out but I know will happen cause that is generally Murphys Law. And in time, when I'm riding over a mountain pass with a trail that is as wide as my tire I will feel comfortable with it. Although that is not my original plan for the bike. I hope to have a nice 450 enduro for that stuff where I won't have worry as much. Again, Murphys Law and you can't plan for everything and this bike will carry you through 90% of it!

The key is what do you enjoy riding? If you really like the off road aspect and some road aspect then this bike will provide that to you. I would not consider harsh off road conditions this bikes forte! One, because of the price and two because of the suspension. Its not meant to be ridden like a full-on off road machine. Its meant to be ridden like an adventure bike. So don't expect to take a 3 foot drop off some rocks and feel like you just rode over a tree root! Not gonna be happy with those results.

Looking to ride the bike hard, break hard and throw it into a berm? NO
    Looking to climb the rockies, knarliest stupid trail? NO
    Looking to sink it in 4 feet of mud or hit the whoops at break neck speed? NO
    Looking to hit some fire roads and explore places? YES
    Looking to go on a several day trip with all types of terrain? YES
    Looking to venture into some unkown areas that will present every aspect of what can be called a road? YES

Ride one, feel it, have fun! Will it replace what you have, NO. Totally different bike simply based on price. You won't feel comfortable throwing this thing straight up a steep trail just to see how far you can go without having the thought of "Oh shit, this is going to hurt the bike"! I know I wouldn't and that is why I will buy a bike specific to that purpose. Something I can challenge myself on beyond belief. So when I do a back flip and it comes down bars over ass for several tumbles the only thing I have to replace are the bars. All the plastic damage is scars to prove you ride the thing the way its suppose to be ridden. The F800GS is not suppose to be ridden that way, IMHO!

Ok, my .02 cents!
  9. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is an interesting point. I deliberately didn't buy the BMW Rallye 2 suit or any of their other (some would say) excellent rider equipment because I don't want to be tied to the brand. The F800GS was and is the best bike for my needs so I bought it. I'm still secretly in love with the 950 Super Enduro but it simply wasn't the right bike for my competence and my requirements. Even if I'd gone for that, I would equally have steered well clear of all of the (some would say equally excellent) KTM equipment. Whilst there are clearly those who live and breath the "brand", I don't believe that BMW is necessarily any stronger than KTM in that respect.

Hey, tmex; I get the French thing, at least, I guess I do, but why Vermont?