Enfield rental in Delhi, help me decide.

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ColdC, May 23, 2008.

1. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Guys and Girls, Give me some advice!
    I'll be renting an Enfield in Delhi for about 2 weeks for my trip to Leh & back.

The famous Lalli Singh of lallisingh.com has quoted me $294 USD/week with a $588 USD deposit. This is a kick start 500cc Enfield and I've been told that Lalli has reliable bikes in good condition.
    Indiabike.com has a "new" 2008 model 500cc Enfield with low kilometers used and electric self-start for $210 USD/week with a $1,172 USD deposit. They have been very good at returning emails and answering questions.
    Tonybulletcentre.com also has the 500cc Enfield with electric start for $115 USD/week and 1,172 USD deposit. They have also been good at returning emails.

My questions are: has anyone done business with any of these people and can give me some feedback? What are your thoughts on the various prices? Is an electric self-start desirable or just one more thing to go wrong on an Enfield? I want to minimize my time picking up a bike in Delhi so convenience and reliability is more important than $. What would you do?
    THANX!
  2. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

All the people you have mentioned are honest and good to deal with. Indiabike is located in the extreme southern part of delhi. Rest of the guys are in Karol Bagh. Though you can look at one other guy, goes by the name Pardesi Motors. (www.pardesimotors.com) I know him quite a lot and have done business with him. If you want, i can get you some quotes but they will in the same range.

I would suggest to get a electric start. Easy peasy
  3. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my view you are considering quite a lot of riding for just two weeks time. Espescially if yoy are thinking the entire loop down to Srinighar instead of out and back. When you consider stops too see a few places to get a feel for the place you might consider covering less ground. You could consider bussing/flying to Manali and renting there or going from Delhi to Shimla/Manali and perhaps Pavarti and back to Delhi. I am not saying if couldnĀ“t be done, but in my veiw this route is best done at a more relaxed pace.

I have heard that now you can also rent an enfield in Manali and drop it off in Leh if you want. Although, I am guessing the established companies in Delhi probably have better bikes.
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Yup, another good option is to go hire a bullet in manali.
  5. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chanderjeet, thanks for the feedback on the rental companies. I think I just have to look at a couple of bikes once in Delhi and get a feel for who has bikes in the best condition.
    Glasswave, thanks for the advice but I'm doing an out and back to Leh and feel like I can make the best of my limited time. 5 days out to Leh, 6-7 days exploring using Leh as a base, and then 4-5 days back to Leh.
    Thanks guys!
  6. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    Who did you use and how did it work out? I'm in Delhi (Karol Bagh -- the motorcycle district) and its taking awhile to get my Ducati shipped over. I don't know if I should wait, rent an Enfield, or buy a Enfield.

--Dave
  7. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    If you are in delhi and interested in renting a bullet, i know reliable people.
    I dont think you'd be able to buy a new bullet here.
  8. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Good to hear your plan is comming together. My advice would be to follow Chanderjeets advice :D
  9. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    I sent him a PM. From what I understand, you can't (and can) buy a bike as a foreigner. If I get one, it'll be used. It was also a lot cheaper to have a local friend buy me a phone although with me there while using my passport.