Engine Oil Preferences

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kitjv, Feb 22, 2006.

1. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swapped part synthetic Castrol on and air/oil cooled XLV750R for Repsol 4T Moto 15W-50 fully synthetic. If anything the engine ran hotter!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    A local motor parts shop, sell their own brand fully synthetic next to the Castrol, at half the price. The guy there showed me that they get their oil from the same suppler and suggested in not so many words that it’s the same oil. So you’re just paying double for the name. So it will be replacing Motorex.<o:p></o:p>
  2. RogerDe

RogerDe Dust In The Wind

Oddometer:
    Just put in the Mobil 1 syn. V-Twin 20 w 50, it get's hot in Texas..got it @ Wally World so have no problem getting more @ $9.00 per qt.....Ride On....
  3. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mobil Fully Synthetic

Now run it in the 990, 65sx, scorpa sy250r, wr250f, beta rev50 and so on...been very happy.
  4. zaptoad

zaptoad just a guy

Oddometer:
    Castrol 20-50 syth........but mostly service it often and keep it clean!
  5. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Car oil ? :huh
  6. zaptoad

zaptoad just a guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know, now I'm asking for trouble fer sure! BUT, I truly think the number one issue is keeping it clean. I have a 1986 Husky 510, bought it new. Road it hard, raced it lots, changed the oil often (Castrol 20-50). Tore it down a few years ago, 3rd gear is the weak link on this vintage of bike. Everything looked fine. Now my 26 year old son is riding it. It's a great desert bike, but a real shaker.

I would rather change it more often and keep it clean, than run high $$$$ oil & have it be dirty. Oil change intervals tend to be too long. Just my thoughts, you may kill me now if you wish....
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hell no. You can use what you like for sure. No biggie. I think the biggest difference though is the wet clutch compatabilty. I think.
  8. zaptoad

zaptoad just a guy

Oddometer:
    I've never had any clutch issues in any of my bikes and I've been riding since the 6o's. I think I just set myself up for disaster.......may be I should just walk home.....
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    yea, now you did it.......
    :lol3 :lol3
    later my friend, have a great 08' season.
    Frank
  10. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decent car oils contain friction reduction additives which can cause problems on bikes with multi-plate wet clutchs. Some people use car oil all the time without problems, but the oil manufacturers are never going to recommend it for bike use.
    Unless you buy in large quantities there isn't enough of a price difference between quailty car and bike oils to warrant using car oil in my bike.
  11. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    :nod

I did have one clutch problem that seems to have been resolved by changing oil type: I have a Barnett in an old XL500, and if left sitting very long it would stick so hard I couldn't disengage it. I had been using automotive racing oil, but when motorcycle specific oil became widely available, I switched to that, and the problem went away.
  12. tr6

tr6 Banned

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="340"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="commontext" style="font-weight: bold;">Yamalube® 15W-50 Full Synthetic with Ester (JASO MA)</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">[​IMG]</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">[​IMG]</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="commontext">Our full synthetic oil blended with esters* for increased lubrication is our best performance oil for motorcycles, ATV's, and Side x Sides. This special blend uses the cleanest, highest quality ashless detergents and the best additive package our engineering team could design. With so much technology in this oil, it could only come from the technology leader - Yamaha. If you demand the best, this is it! This oil meets or exceeds the requirements of JASO MA**

Best of all only a mile from the house!
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Attached Files:

13. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Well for the record.
    LC8= ELF 1OW60
    TE610= AGIP 10W50
  15. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
  16. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now seem to be running Mobil 1 Synth in all the 4 bangers...no probs so far. And change it as often as practical.
  17. Cheetah

Cheetah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this thread and thought I would ask the questions here as many have used different types & weights of oil.

Oil consumption
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I took the 950SE for a run on some challenging trails last weekend, doing about 74km in total of only 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear riding. I notice after the ride that it used quite a bit of oil, nearly to the half way mark of the oil sight window. Is this normal? Do the LC8 engines chew oil when the going get tough? The oil in it at the moment is the recommended Motul oil. I am thinking maybe the oil is too thin for the hotter Australian climate and the engine would benefit from a heavier weight oil. Has anyone else come across this situation?

<!-- / message -->
  18. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    I fly jets for a living since 1974...every single one of them was serviced exclusively with synthetic oil.
    Granted my vehicles do not operate in the extreme ranges of jet engines, but if synthetic is the only thing good enough for a jet engine, it is the only thing good enough for my vehicle engines
  19. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    This is why I run 15/50 organic oil. I buy it in bulk 20Lt drums @ $65 AU. My bike does not use a drop of oil. There is to much propaganda about oil designed to take money out of your pockets.

<!-- / message -->
  20. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    I agree that we are driven by marketing but I disagree that every oil is the same......

Will the engine work with any oil? yes, but remember there is a clutch in there sharing the same oil. Is it optimum, No - wear may not be noticeable rigth away but sooner or later it will.

An 8 cyl. Ford engine is different than a 8 Cyl. F1 - Do they use the same oil?

why ride a 990 instead of a KLR... after all they are bikes! is the difference propaganda?

Not even people have the same oil (blood) - you can notice that on hot places its thinner and people on cold places have thicker blood. its true