Engineman makes bad decisions: An Electra Glide story

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by engineman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My oldest daughter is graduating High School and heading off to South Florida University this fall. She was wanting to do a campus visit in March and since I'm cooped up in the cold in the midwest my first thought was Motorcycle Trip! In addition to the campus visit we're going to take a week and ride the coastlines of Florida, Pensacola, Tampa, Miami, Keys, Daytona etc

Problem is, the most road worthy bike I have is the KTM 690 enduro, not really the thing for a week on the highway with a teenage girl along.

Struggled finding a bike. Really struggled convincing the wife I needed to buy another bike.

Looked at big ADV bikes but generally out of my price range

The only touring bikes I could find in my price range were high mileage '90s BMWs (no thanks, been there done that), 1100 Goldwings (little too long in the tooth), ancient Councours and Ventures (holy hell those things are ugly), and '80s Harleys

Harley is pretty much the only major bike brand I've never owned so I thought I'd give one a shot. While on a business trip to Minneapolis I noticed there was a motorcycle salvage auction in town so went to check it out.

Long story short, ended up buying a lightly crashed 2006 Electra glide with a clear title for $2500. After all the buyers fees and gas to drive up and get it I'm in about $3200 and I just now got it unloaded from the pickup.

Unloading big bikes is much easier with a forklift
    [​IMG]

Here she sits
    [​IMG]

Looks like I need a seat, crashbars, windshield and inner fairing for sure. Other than that there's just a lot of scuffs everywhere.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Everything is usable, none of the bags are actually broken, It just looks a little rough.

Engine fired right up and sounds good.

Off to Ebay
    Webman, HairySheep, Traxx and 9 others like this.
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    Hell Yeah! A kid at work bought a scuffed up bike. He used bondo on the skinned stuff, sanded it smooth and had it wrapped at a decal shop instead of having it painted. Looks pretty good, and will last long enough to find good replacement parts that don't need bodywork. But there should be tons of stuff around for your bike.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a former Road King owner, you'll be happy and will be able to find tons of interchangeable parts from lots of sources. I ran almost 50k with nothing but routine maintenance on my Twin Cam, loved the fuel injection and 2006 has better options for bigger bore.

I'm experimenting with wrap right now on my BMW, seems like a decent option to change things around cheaper than paint.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:

Hadn't even thought of the wrap option. That might be a cool way to go
  5. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    no bad decision imo
  6. engineman

Oddometer:
    Started work last night, more of a detailed look at what I bought and some disassembly

Bonus!

Full Screaming Eagle intake, exhaust and ECU. Box was still in the trunk
    [​IMG]

Also, centerstand! I didn't notice it until user FR700 pointed it out above. I didn't even know they made these for Harleys, going to make work easier
    [​IMG]

Also a bunch of extra lights. I think I like them? not sure yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, pretty happy with this purchase
    Webman, HairySheep, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d be stripping all the busted shit off it and turning it into a roadking basically.
    Traxx and Oilhed like this.
  8. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    And it has a trailer hitch?
  9. engineman

Oddometer:
    I might do that eventually, but really wanting to road trip with the wife / kids and they seem to need a lot of crap brought along with them so for now the luggage stays
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Roadking still has the nice hard side bags, just no tour pack. No batwing fairing.

Around my neck of the woods, bagger parts are ridiculous money at the local swap meet. It all gets snapped up quick.

Bonus of a RK vs EG is when solo it’s lighter, and also easy to strap a big ol duffle bag on the back behind the passenger seat.

Just spitballing an option. Lookin forward to what you do with it. Certainly bought it for a right enough amount you shouldn’t get hurt financially on it.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Another option if you want to “fundraise”

Sell the spoked wheels in favor of some cast wheels, you get the benefit of tubeless (if you dig that) and cast wheels are usually cheaper to purchase. You might find someone that wants to swap, with cash on their end of course.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. engineman

Oddometer:
    I really like this idea. Would much rather have tubeless tires. Considering I live 5 miles from the pavement this bike will get dirty and I imagine cast wheels will be slightly easier to keep cleanish
    Traxx and villageidiot like this.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great bike for the price. I would love a deal like that!
    CCitis likes this.
  14. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great deal to me!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. CarKid1989

CarKid1989 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How in the world did you score that for so cheap!? It just does not compute with me. I have kept my eyes on all the local auctions and some out of town ones and as soon as HD flashes on the screen everyone loses their mind and sends the price sky high.

Well done!
    Webman, SrAlaRider and villageidiot like this.
  17. CarKid1989

CarKid1989 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Miles on it?
  18. engineman

Oddometer:
    There was actually a "buy it now" option on the website for $2500 so I used that instead of waiting for the auction. I felt pretty apprehensive bidding that sight unseen but they did a good job of taking pictures and describing the damage so I took the risk. The real bonus to me is that it has a clean title. I've been watching these auctions online for a while and I still don't get what drives the prices, some seem way low, some seem way high.

Webman and villageidiot like this.
  19. engineman

Oddometer:
    Started some fixin:

passing lamp bracket was bent up
    [​IMG]

Hammer time, all fixed

[​IMG]

Touched up the fairing a little with the DA sander. Definitely think I can salvage this piece, just needs a tiny bit of filler

[​IMG]

I think I'm going to use some touch up paint on this ding and then learn to ignore it. Undented tanks are $$$$$ and it's more complicated to repair than I think it's worth

[​IMG]
    Sl0rider and dbarale like this.
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal and bike! Personally I'd fill that dent if I was going to be setting up for any painting, but I totally understand keeping it simple to get it on the road quicker.