Engineman makes bad decisions: An Electra Glide story

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by engineman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. scrambler06

scrambler06 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've got a great project and I think you're gonna love the ride! I had a '99 Road King, '11 Road Glide, '14 Road King, and now a '18 Sport Glide. I've purchased and sold many Touring parts and accessories on the linked site and always had a good experience using PayPal with motorcycle riders who were honest. Another alternative to eBay https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-parts-121/
    Ducky 149, AK650 and engineman like this.
  2. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    OK
    I’ve read it all.
    Can’t see the “bad” decision?
    Is there more to the story or an inside joke I don’t get
    nk14zp likes this.
  3. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's because most of the time things go pear-shaped when I drag home a new project. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one but so far I think I might have gotten lucky
    zzzak, Webman and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:
    This is super helpful, thanks. I knew there had to be a site out there somewhere like that but I hadn't found it yet
  5. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Ah—-sorta a reverse Karma thing.
    Start out thinking/suggesting it’ll be a sh!t project trying to trick the gods to let it go good.
    Got it.
    Good plan
    engineman likes this.
  6. engineman

Oddometer:
    Finally a little break from the polar vortex so I can spend some time in the shop. Disassembly done on the inner fairing. Hopefully I marked everything well enough that I can get it all back together. There is a metric shit-ton of wire on this bike. I'd really like to change the bars while I've got it apart but turns out electra glide bars are not cheap. I rotated these forward as far as I could and still clear the inner fairing. I'd like them 4" higher with less pullback.
    [​IMG]
    ONE2NINE and Pezz_gs like this.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I wanted to change my sportster bars I went to the dealer and told the parts guy what I wanted to do. He led me over to the back of the shop, where they stocked all the "take-off bars", I grabbed a few to take home and try. I found one that I liked, took the bars back to the shop and showed him the one I wanted. $20 out the door! The only bad thing is I don't know what bar I have now, if I'd want to replace it later.
    Webman and johnwesley like this.
  8. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    I have parted out a hundred of these bikes, until my source dried up. You got a steal on that 'glide. Easily part it out and make a couple grand. Good score, enjoy it with the kiddo. We have one off at kstate already and one heading there this fall. will be an empty nest, maybe get the ol ball and chain on a bike again!
    engineman likes this.
  9. engineman

Oddometer:
    Great idea, i'll give it a shot this week
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked in a HD dealership parts department part time for 16 years. Those inner fairing brackets break on a real regular basis and were common to quite a few years worth of bikes.The aftermarket one you linked is something new I've never seen but I've been away from that job for about 3 years now. The OEM ones can be reinforced by almost any semi-competent fabricator and should hold up well enough for most use. Be aware that a 4" change in HD bars will likely require a clutch cable, throttle cables, and new front brake hose and adding wiring to the harnesses for the switch gear. I remember putting together pricing for customers and it was not uncommon to run 700-800 just in parts. I often thought that was the reason why guys with ape hangers told you how great they were. They hated to admit how much cash they'd blown to figure out it sucked. By '06 the cam tensioner issues were resolved. The really bad ones were '99-'01.
    ozmoses, engineman and xr-nut like this.
  11. engineman

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks! I've been hoping the cam tensioner thing was like KTM 690 rocker arms- there were a few failures but for the most part, not that big of a deal. If I knew for sure I was keeping the bike I'd probably change the bars but I have a feeling I might let it go for some cash after the summer is over. That's how I justified the whole project to the wife anyway
  12. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    The early release motors, '99-'01, the failure rate on the tensioners was pretty bad. Not as bad as the internet made it out to be but bad nonetheless. As I stated I was a part time employee but spent enough time there to feel comfortable with the information I post. Personally I feel some of the biggest problems with Harley Davidson bikes has been their owners. Those chopper build off shows and all of the magazines of that time period made every owner an armchair mechanic who knew more than the techs the dealership sent to school to keep up with the model year changes. Even as a part timer I took the online training courses I was offered and tried to be as knowledgeable as possible for my own benefit and to be a better parts person. I'm not saying all dealership employees are great mechanics mind you but the shop I was at during those years tried hard to weed out the guys who weren't competent and maintain a high standard.

I have all of the old accessory catalogs from those years so if you have fitment questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out. From the pics you've posted it looks like you made a good purchase.
    Scoozi and engineman like this.
  13. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Nice find, I'm going to follow along !!!

I have found Boardtracker HD in Wisconsin has good prices on parts to mail order. :deal
    engineman likes this.
  14. engineman

Oddometer:
    Making some progress on re-assembly. The new fairing brackets seem very stout. Probably could have welded the old ones back together but they were already pretty brittle, don't think it would have lasted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fairing on my 86 FXRT that I'm sort of restoring (Someone in it's former ownership striped it down to a naked bike) is abs. For repairing it I used abs pipe cement. For filler I plan on using pieces of abs dissolved in the cement to form a putty.
    Webman likes this.
  16. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Welding the old brackets would be a waste of time and energy. Saw enough people try to tell you that in complete confidence. Those new brackets do look pretty stout! Never saw them before but as I've stated I've been out of the HD dealership scene for about 3-4 years so not staying current like I once did.
  17. Ducky 149

Ducky 149 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCF1F3E5-4421-4358-9B71-8E139D32D3E3.jpeg
    Wow!! That ended up big!! Hahahahaha!! I fixed my ‘97 FLHTC with a couple of these that were about 1 inch . Worked great for a long time, until I got hit head on. Then it was just part of the yard sale!!:lol3:lol3
  18. engineman

Oddometer:
    Since I'm leaving for Florida on it in a few days I figured I better get this thing at least roadworthy. The weather has been so shitty this winter I really haven't been able to spend much time in the shop. Even if I wanted to put up with the cold, working with anything plastic when it's 5 degrees is a bad plan. Also kept me from doing much bodywork. I did get the fairing scratches filled and brought it into the garage to prime. came out pretty good, scratches filled nice and smooth.

Been avoiding putting it back on because I suspected it was going to be a pain in the ass. If anything I underestimated how much of a pain it was going to be. Would have really helped if Harley didn't throw in an extra 60' of un-needed wire and connectors.

I'm not one of the Harley bashing crowd but I suspect a Japanese engineer that designed something this difficult to assemble correctly would be forced to go out on the factory front lawn and commit seppuku

[​IMG]

after 50 trial and error attempts to get every wire in exactly the right location so the fairing would fit back on

[​IMG]

The used windscreen I got off of ebay was not in nearly as good of shape as implied by the ad. I'm going to bitch at the seller but I don't have time to get another one before the trip. You can also see all my greasy fingerprints I left in the fresh primer. Going to have to sand and clean that good. Still too cold to paint before I leave so it'll all have to come back off when I get home.

The tour pack lid was broken where one of the upper latches sit. Little bit of sheet metal and some JB weld got it structurally sound but it will also need bondo and paint later

[​IMG]

Hopefully will be able to get a test ride in the next couple of days. Biggest problem is that now the ice is melted the 5 miles of gravel between me and the pavement is a soupy mess. Not really electra glide terrain
    JimVonBaden and AK650 like this.
  19. Ducky 149

Ducky 149 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those windshields are cheap enough that a used one is a folly. Long Ride Shields has great ones cheap.
  20. engineman

Oddometer:
    absolutely what I should have done.
    Ducky 149 likes this.