Engineman makes bad decisions: An Electra Glide story

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by engineman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SlowernOlder

SlowernOlder Misfit

Oddometer:
  2. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I took the bike for a little 2000 mile test drive through florida:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adv-lite-father-daughter-lap-of-florida.1374926/

Bike worked OK other than a broken throttle cable. Fair to say I didn't hate it but didn't really love it either so I think the plan is continue fixing it and sell it to make some cash.

Rode it to work today and when I got home I found this

[​IMG]

Between it being stressed during the original crash and me definitely overloading it with camping gear on the trip, the tour pack is done.

The lid is pretty much junk too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I think I have 3 options:

1. Ebay chinese tour pack at around $200 which I'm pretty confident will be pretty shitty
    2. Good used OEM tour pack at around $700 for the ones I've been able to find
    3. Eliminate the trunk altogether and install a Road King backrest and luggage rack around $150

I'm leaning towards option 3. I don't think I'd get my money back out of option 2 when it comes time to sell

Whats your opinion?
    Traxx likes this.
  3. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Option 3 would be the smart money. I'd definitely do that before buying a Chicom trunk, but I have a thang with not buying Chinese unless there are no options. And sometimes I just go without as a result.
    emptypockets51 and busa1300 like this.
  4. SlowernOlder

SlowernOlder Misfit

Oddometer:
    They make a compound to fix that crack. Used to know a guy that did paint work and he fixed a lot of hard bags and tour packs.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother-in-law put one of the Ebay tour boxes on his Road King 5 or 6 years ago and hasn't had any problems with it. He 2 tone painted it to match the bike an it looks good.
  6. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Option #3, the bike will still be of interest to someone without the tour pack. :deal
    Traxx likes this.
  7. engineman

Oddometer:
    Making some progress finally

Filled the scratches in the saddlebag lid
    [​IMG]

Another coat of primer on the fairing, followed by guide goat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Traxx and xr-nut like this.
  8. engineman

Oddometer:
    Nothing damaged on this saddlebag lid but since I won't be able to re-create the silver stripe on the other one, this one is also getting painted.

First thing is to remove the chrome trim which is held on by nasty thick double sided tape

[​IMG]

Normally removing the old adhesive would be a bitch but this 3-M "magic eraser" wheel and adhesive solvent work wonders. Also great for removing vinyl striping off of cars

[​IMG]

Squeaky clean

[​IMG]
    Traxx, ONE2NINE, Aussie Bruce and 4 others like this.
  9. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're doing great work. I'm curious what you didnt like about the bike. Is it an ergonomic thing?
  10. engineman

Oddometer:
    Too heavy, too slow. Ergonomics were a big part of it too, with my bum hip I need to be able to have my legs below me. Biggest reason not to keep it though is that I live down miles of rutted bumpy gravel road and this thing is scary to ride on that surface.
    CCitis likes this.
  11. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    Too heavy and too slow, for sure reasons not to like it. Ergonomics, another legit reason to like it or not. Scary road....not so much! Ride that big bish like you own it! I live on gravel here in bfk and have flown down our road on too many hd's to count at faster than highway speeds. Keep on the gas and point it where you want to go! Fix job looking good, you should have no problem making a few bucks on that bike.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. engineman

Oddometer:
    Guide coat sanded off so show any remaining scratches I need to fill
    [​IMG]

Did find scratches on the other lid so it gets filled and painted too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a rank beginner at bodywork but I've at least decided it's something I need to be able to do. I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error
    Traxx and xr-nut like this.
  13. engineman

Oddometer:
    Luckily I've got someplace to use the leftover filler after I mix a batch for some tiny scratches on the bike

[​IMG]
    Webman, Traxx, speednut and 9 others like this.
  14. emptypockets51

emptypockets51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. engineman

Oddometer:
    Time to catch up on this thread since I still have the bike and I'm still working on it.

If nothing else, you all can learn from my trial and many error method of learning bodywork and painting. I'm sure any professional paint and body guys that stumble on this thread will go into some kind of shock and then be compelled to hammer feverishly on their keyboards to point out my mistakes and that way I'll at least learn something

Finished the bondo work and set up for painting

20190621_182324.jpg

If i remember correctly, I did 3 coats of primer, wet sanding between each

20190621_182914.jpg

Followed by basecoat.

Below is the saddlebag lid. The shmutz on top is some dust that drifted down out of the rafters after the paint had dried. Turns out a 80 year old barn with birds living in it is not the best place to paint

20190621_191823.jpg

There was some orangepeel in the lid but that was nothing compared to the fairing

20190621_202408.jpg

I'm using a $40 HVLP gun from Amazon and its pretty obvious I didn't have it set right. So. Much. Sanding.

Eventually, after a thousand or so hours of sanding and buffing it came out ok. Not Harley OEM quality but not bad enough that the other kids will make fun of you at the Starbucks. Note the brass screws holding on the windshield trim. They were the only ones I could find that fit and I thought they looked kind've cool so they're staying
    20190912_175119.jpg 20190912_175119.jpg

Next up was the front fender. The paint was ok but it had a big ding in the side. Broke out the paintless dent repair kit from Amazon

20190623_185222.jpg

20190623_191338.jpg

Apparently I forgot to take an "after" picture so you'll have to trust me the it was much better but not perfectly straight afterwards
    Webman and Traxx like this.
  16. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
    What did you decide to do regarding the top case?
  17. engineman

Oddometer:
    I've avoided deciding so far. I'm think I would prefer to just mount a backrest and call it good. It has been much harder than I thought it would be to find one though. I'll probably end up buying a used one off of a metric bike and adapting to fit
  18. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see this thread back up and running and for sure you're gonna get there in the end. ca't wait to see more pictures.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Great buy and good follow up on the rebuild. Curious though. Isn't the 06 of the vintage FLH chassis known to be. um, flexible? May be part of your issues with the bike? I recall riding a bunch of full dresser demo Harleys back around 06 that to me handled like crap. Just felt like it had a big rubber section in the chassis. Back then, before the new frame designs came out, there was a "police bike frame brace" that mounted under the chassis to really improve the feel and handling.

But in all, for the price you paid, and the cash you have into it, you can easily resell it at no loss, possibly even a small profit even after riding it a while. I'd think an 06 FLH with a clean title, lots of performance goodies, and clean could easily sell for $6000 to $8000.

I've never owned a big v-twin cruiser, been riding BMW flat twins for decades and I still ride them. But two years ago I grabbed a Kawwy Vulcan VN1600 Classic with a bunch of aftermarket updates, 29,000 miles and a clean title for $1200. I do have to pull the engine to fix a 2nd gear issue, which I can do. But it is a nice riding alternative to my BMWs. When I just want to relax and cruise, rather than attack the ride, the Vulcan is a decent ride.