Engineman makes bad decisions: An Electra Glide story

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by engineman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like some nice progress. As to the tourpak I bought this from a place in Canada.
    I had it on my local craigslist as I went another direction with my road glide. The mount is a q/r for 2009 and newer. It works fine, real close to HD , most can't tell difference. 20191207_145228.jpg 20191207_145228.jpg 20191207_150023.jpg
  2. StittWall

Oddometer:
    Nastyhog was the retailer. Led sidelights standard.
  3. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I have to admit, on a smooth, straight stretch of pavement the Glide is a nice bike to ride. Around here though, even when I am on pavement it is not smooth. Frost heaves, potholes and scattered gravel upset the bike. On the rare occasion I can find a curvy road you can definitely feel the chassis flexing under you.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:
    That does look like a very good option. If I have trouble selling it without the pack, I might give that a shot
  5. StittWall

Oddometer:

If you want a used one, let me know, not sure what shipping would be, I'm in W. PA
  6. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I have not ridden a HD FLH full dresser since that demo ride event back in 06. The new chassis FLH is supposed to be vastly better than the older chassis in handling and tracking. All I remember is the older FLH felt way too uncertain even at speeds from 35 to 70 mph. I've been used to riding solid feeling easy handling BMW flat twins since the mid-90s so my opinion was certainly slanted toward a light weight solid feeling chassis. I was pretty critical of the HD FLH back then. I've also not ridden a FLH of that vintage with the police bracket on the frame. Other MSF instructors I've worked with that had the police bracket on their FLH chassis said it made a big difference.
  7. engineman

Oddometer:
    Time to talk about the tank. Hold on, things are going to get bumpy

Originally I had decided to ignore the dent in the tank, however it wasn't long before the paint flaked off and it started to rust

20190624_202500.jpg

I hit it with the die grinder and cleaned it up some

20190629_120628.jpg

This is where all the pros out there will be thinking "and then he pulled the dent" but I didn't. My paintless dent puller wouldn't touch it and I don't have a stud welder. I do have a shit load of other welders though and in retrospect, I should have MIG welded a screw to the center of the dent and used that to pull it out. I ended up puttying it as is. It's about 1/4" thick in the center but it's not that big around so I think it will hold fine. There's no flex in the metal here

This is an "in process" picture. I did get it pretty much perfectly smooth eventually with another hundred or so hours of sanding. I also found another dent that I didn't notice at first and filled it too.

20190630_134244.jpg

You might notice that I'm working on the tank with it mounted to the bike. For those of you who might try this someday, don't. It's stupid and I don't know why I didn't remove it from the bike, it would have been a hell of a lot easier. It was a lot of work to mask the bike when I started spraying paint.

I had to be careful here to not sand into the pinstriping

After a ton of masking work I primed and basecoated the area around where the dent was and then (more sanding) cleared the whole tank.

It actually looked great right up until I started using the polishing compound.

20190912_175114.jpg

Pinholes everywhere in the clearcoat. :doh:baldy

I think they call this solvent pop? I'm 90% sure it's because I didn't wait long enough between coats of clear coat

Tried sanding it out but the issue is the decals and pinstripes under the original clearcoat

Attached Files:

JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. engineman

Oddometer:
    When we last left the story, I had F'd up the clearcoat on the tank. The point of this whole exercise was to get better at bodywork and hopefully make a few bucks selling this bike so it wasn't going to do leaving it as is.

Another view of the tank, this time removed from the bike

20200309_174708.jpg

The pinstripe and the decals are under the original Harley clearcoat. You can see in the upper right corner that I had already sanded into the pinstripes on the original repair. I started trying to sand through my clear without hitting the decals but it wasn't working.

I watched way too many episodes of "biker build off" back in the day (holy crap that show was almost 20 years ago already!) so my overconfidence level was pretty high that I could still fix this

I'm sure the slow, patient and careful approach would have been best but I have poor impulse control and literally a drawer full of angle grinders so this was going back to bare metal

The grinders were actually the last resort. If there is one thing that Harley does extremely well it is paint. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get off. Chemical strippers worked on the paint and clear that I applied but had no effect on the factory paint. My HF sandblaster made some impression but 20 minutes of blasting only cleared a dollar bill sized spot. What finally worked was a stiff wire knot wheel on a 4.5 grinder. Took a while and my lungs are now infused with the essence of Milwaukee's finest paint but I got it down to metal

20200315_145713.jpg

Next step was to dig out the filler I installed before and make another attempt at fixing the dent right

20200316_174938.jpg

Attachment point for my home made dent puller

20200316_180525.jpg

Dent pulled and bolt cut off. I should have used a little less weld but I think it will be ok

20200316_180907.jpg
    Laconic, Traxx and xr-nut like this.
  9. StittWall

Oddometer:
    Wow, I was wondering how you would correct the clearcoat. I would have never guessed this was how!!!!
    You got my attention! Looking forward to seeing the rest
    AK650, neppi, engineman and 1 other person like this.
  10. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    No one else hit the like button on the above post about the tank, guess I will. I admire your tenacity!
    Papa Big Cycle and engineman like this.
  11. engineman

Oddometer:
    Still too cold to apply filler or paint so I'm going to work on the front fender.

If you remember from above, it had a shallow dent that I mostly pulled with a paintless dent puller. It was better but still not good enough so might as well fix it too

Didn't strip the entire fender, just got rid of the paint where it needed a repair and the decals and pinstripes under the clear

20200315_154809.jpg

Should be able to blend it pretty smooth. Cant really feel the transition with bare fingers

20200315_155025.jpg

Problem with this section where the dent was is that there is now a pretty big "oil can" centered where I marked the circles

20200315_155238.jpg

Used a big 3/4 drive socket as a die on the back, heated a couple of spots to dull red with the torch then gave it a quick smack with the ball end of a hammer. Pulled the metal back tight, no more oil can.

20200316_173741.jpg

That whole section is slightly low now so I should be able to lay some filler over it and get it nice and straight again
    xr-nut likes this.
  12. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    I am not a body man, but I do pretend to be one in my job sometimes. If I were you, I would go ahead and strip the fender all the way now. I am not sure you can hide that seam. If you "can't really feel" it, it has been my experience it will show in the paint. Just my 2cents and likely not even worth that!
    scot_douglas and AK650 like this.
  13. engineman

Oddometer:
    You're probably right. Wont be that much more work. I think you caught me getting lazy
    AK650 likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no problem blending it if you feather it well. If you have a sharp edge visually, it isn't feathered enough, even if you can not feel it.
  15. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking awesome
    engineman likes this.
  16. StittWall

Oddometer:
    Its going to be so nice.......you'll keep it!
    engineman likes this.
  17. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a tourpack for your bike in Eastern Ohio. I bought it used for $300 and would sell it for that if you're interested. No damage, has a luggage rack on top and holes for Ultra Classic speakers but no speakers themselves.

Just read your Ride Report from Florida, looks like a great trip! I'm hoping to take my son on a few like that when he's older.
    villageidiot and engineman like this.
  18. engineman

Oddometer:
    Back at it-

got the tank dent filled and the fender nice and straight. Since the metal in the dented area had taken so much abuse I actually used JB weld for the majority of the filling, just a skim coat of body filler over the top of it.

20200401_175518.jpg

Found quite a few other dents in the fender that I hadn't noticed were there

20200401_175120.jpg

Had some help in the shop. She's actually taking to this. Pretty artsy and perfectionist which translates well to body work

20200401_175127.jpg
  19. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far! At least with the corona going on we all have a bit of time to get projects done.

I think women are naturally better at stuff like that. I'm a pipe welder, and most female welders I know are slower at welding but the finished product is better. Not all of course, but as an overall generalization.
    Webman and engineman like this.
  20. engineman

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for primer

20200403_184406.jpg

I'm going to be spraying an epoxy primer for bare metal applications, then I'm planning on a couple coats of urethane primer surfacer to sand smooth then a single stage urethane basecoat.

I'm getting all my paint supplies from Eastwood company. I'm not enough of a pro to be able to speak to the quality or value of their paint but they have a ton of very good DIY videos to help people like me get started and I like to support that kind of behavior by a company.

20200403_190604.jpg

Mixed and sprayed the epoxy primer. Came out ok. I feel better about my gun setup this time (thanks to one of the aforementioned videos). I did try laying it on too heavy for the first coat and got some runs I'm going to have to fix but overall looks ok.

20200404_174922.jpg

20200404_174900.jpg

20200404_174850.jpg
    xr-nut likes this.