Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by engineman, Jan 8, 2019.
If you want to keep crap out of your paint, wet down your floor to reduce kicked up dust.
Got the epoxy primer sanded smooth with 400 grit and then sprayed 3 coats of urethane primer. When I first mixed the primer and activator it was very thick, like house paint. It did not spray well and left a pretty pebbly surface finish. Sanded down smooth with 220 and 400 grit and then mixed another batch, this time adding 1 part urethane reducer. This worked much better and laid down nice and smooth. put on 4 coats. Another learning experience. I'll get this sanded and then be ready for paint. Unfortunately it's not going to get above 50 degrees for a week or so and I don't think I should paint it when its that cold.
My experience with my 04 Road King showed/taught me a few things.
The shocks and forks are very under dampened stock. Refilling with heavier oil helped greatly.
The bike is remarkably sensitive to tire pressure. Just a few psi below spec and it wiggles and squirms.
The stock Dunlop’s are not good feeling or good handling. Personally, I’m pretty happy with my Michelin Commander IIs.
I found a lot of play between the inner swing arm bushings and the shaft. This is oem, not wear. Only detectable with the belt slackened. I fixed it with shim stock and loctite to hold the shims in place.
Finally warmed up enough to do more painting. I had already sprayed the urethane primer and sanded smooth with 400 grit. I mixed the single stage urethane paint and sprayed on 3 coats. It was thinner than the primer so I did not use any reducer. Sprayed on pretty well. Main problem I had was the paint sputtering out of the gun. Hard to describe but basically the air flow remained constant but the paint would occasionally cut out. After having this problem on the first coat I switched to my other paint gun with a larger 1.7 orifice vs the 1.3 that was recommended on the paint data sheet. Came out OK but still quite a bit of orange peel. Wet sanded with 400 and everything was coming out pretty nice until I sanded through a spot. It was towards the bottom of the tank and I probably did not have enough paint there anyway. Will have to put on additional coats. from the pics it looks like there's a lot of crap in the paint but thats just dust that fell on it after it was dry and sitting in the barn overnight
Man, I'm so feeling this. I just went through the same thing on an 82 R100CS. No real body/paint experience = lot's of work and rework (and glorious sanding). My takeaway was that I spent not enough time getting the bodywork perfect and too much time getting the base coat perfect. With modern two part clearcoat, it's hard to make it look bad.
Time to wrap this up. Finished the paint, sanding and buffing and put the bike back together. If anyone's interested, it'll probably end up in the flea market soon.
Tank came out pretty good
Front fender came out pretty good too.
The fairing I'm less happy with. It was the first part I fixed and painted so it didn't come out as well. It's better than it looks in this picture though
All in all, I learned a lot on this project. I've always avoided bodywork but I'm getting more confident in it. This paintjob is far from perfect but it's a lot better than it was and if I was keeping the bike I wouldn't be ashamed of it.
I think it looks very good!
I had been perusing the thread right before you posted. Looking good! Needs a cigarette lighter or a plug in the socket.
Are you listing it? If so, what are you asking?
I've got it on craigslist for $6k, probably come down a little for inmate pricing
To put a nail in this thread, the Electra Glide has gone on to a new owner. It's been a fun project, I learned a lot and even made some money. Thanks all for the input on here
Nice, I sold my Electraglide yesterday. Funny how that works.
Glad to hear you’re happy with the deal.
Curious if you could expand a bit on that "police bracket" you're referring to please.
Not just a bracket, but a group of parts to add rigidity to the older FLH chassis. Even found a kit on ebay:
I've also started riding an 03 Vulcan VN1600 to get experience on a big cruiser to better understand riding style and technique for the big Harley style bikes. Have to say I'm quite surprised how solid it feels and how easily it handles when used in the turns. But it does need suspension improvements and definitely needs the floorboards modified to gain leaning capability.