1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

enjoy the CARNAGE photos! KTM 690 Enduro stock exhaust heat damage, melted everything..

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Phi1osopher, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 KTM 690 Enduro and have put about 40k miles on it in the last 2 years. Thought you might appreciate the "stock exhaust" heat damage carnage photos to my blinker, fuel tank, plastics, chain guard, etc.. I ride it pretty hard, often at around 100mph for multiple consecutive fuel tanks (about 180 miles each with the big Rally-Raid EVO2 extra tanks), occasionally in Mexico... My stock exhaust simply got too hot. As in, it melted all my gear, plastics, etc. I didn't realize that the overheating muffler's gasket blew out and severely heat damaged my gas tank! In the pics, the outer layer of the plastic on the gas tank has more than just flaked away, the inner layers are bubbling, and the whole area surely is brittle, about to implode, and basically all effed up. Look at the photo of the exhaust next to the tank -- the tank is "clean.." that's not mud in there, that is the plastic of the tank doing the funky chicken...

I am of course replacing the fuel tank, and ordering a Wings exhaust, shipped for about $465 - mf@siol.net

first one happy photo from Mexico....
    43778906_503707626774406_1688349367683680428_n.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
    This is the fuel tank, at the muffler-to-down-pipe connection.

Send thoughts and prayer... and beer.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge advocate of replacing the stock muffler with the CAT because of the heat issue, but this much damage surprises me. I think you're pretty lucky the hole in the tank didn't cause a fire...
    Chillis, Traveller128 and Phi1osopher like this.
  3. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:
    I totally agree -- and I had NO IDEA the damage to the tank was there until I took it apart. It is super serious, and was hidden behind the exhaust, a heat shield, and my luggage.
  4. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I've never known anyone who kept the stock "nuclear reactor" exhaust on a 690 for 40,000 miles. It's usually binned by 400 miles
  5. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Real world. Great brief and wise words of caution
  6. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO you should contact KTM and see if they'd squeeze out an Akra and/or new tank for you for free? May just be a faulty tank production. Melting blinkers seems serious enough and many have documented that, but this is definitely a step up. If they won't assist, I'm sure the NHTSA would love to hear about your experience :lol3
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  7. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Maybe he’ll tell us more about the gasket blowing and how that contributed. Hard to imagine riding along with all of that damage happening so very close....

And I wonder if the converter actually broke down inside, blocking the exhaust. I had it happen on a truck once
    thetrooper08 and Bultaco206 like this.
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luggage? I'm looking at the side cover damage and wondering if you racks or the luggage was pushing the cover onto the pipe? Might also have been pushing the indicator ?
  9. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here was my quote to the OP in the 690E thread before the OP let anyone know about blown gaskets ;)
    :augie
  10. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    bikerjim2000 and Phi1osopher like this.
  11. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit batman!
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    OP probably needs to get his sense of smell checked, that issue went on awhile before it got to the point it is in those pictures.
    Yinzer Moto and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. stan23

stan23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the gasket blew, surely the bike would have sounded really loud ! Good thing you caught it in time though.
  14. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something wrong with the fuel delivery that you are running very rich ??? Do you have stock fuel maps ?
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jet hot ceramic coating really works. I had a dr350 that'd cook my ankle pre coating and after coating my ankle was much more comfortable.
  16. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something wrong there, that exhaust is running way too hot. I'd check injection timing, mixture conditions, air leaks, etc... lean conditions may lead to that but also to engine damage as in burnt exhaust valves, etc... before getting more part's i'd check that or you'll be delaying a catastrophe.
    LSGiant likes this.
  17. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very lucky it didn't burn to the ground with all your gear.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I don't know that I'd classify that as "in time". Yes the op didn't turn in to a flaming shish kabob but that should have been caught long before it was. It's time well spent to take a bucket of soapy water and wash your bike down, while your at it you're looking for loose bolts, cracked brackets and of course, loose exhaust. These aren't like a honda where all you need to do is add gas.
    nk14zp likes this.
  19. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I like my 690 I am dissapointed that it is not like the Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki I have owned. It certainly is just as expensive or more and certainly requires more attention to items that were not required on those bikes. Examples, loose fasteners, poorly routed wires, and light assemblies that are not designed properly, to name a few.
    zxrider11 likes this.
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    The saddest thing about this (for KTM) is this isn't even one thing - the midpipe leak that did so much damage is entirely separate from the tail light meltdown. 2 different flaws.