enjoy the CARNAGE photos! KTM 690 Enduro stock exhaust heat damage, melted everything..

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Phi1osopher, Jul 13, 2019.

1. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    My 690 was just like a boat...there are two best days; the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I feel for the OP to have to put up with such a POS. Seriously.
    zxrider11 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  2. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the run really worth it? 100 mph for 180 miles x 2, plus heat (duh) plus major damage to gear and bike. One expensive ride, plus the danger of a fire (gas tank) glad you were not injured. Don't think this is on my bucket list ,MHO only.
    Kaaden likes this.
  3. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100mph top-end runs for hours on a bike with 40k miles. You had about 1-2 thousand miles to maybe wash or give your bike a once over to notice that a small bandaid of carbon confetti is the only thing holding your exhaust to the header i bet that thing was a wobblin goblin for a LONG while.

But hey typical KTM trash ya kno! :lol3

ETA: for any of the smooth brains in this thread, realize that his exhaust/header gasket failed allowing a focused blast of exhaust gas to melt a 1x1 hole into his Gas tank the leak was around the 2-3'oclock position of the pipe.

The associated melting around the turn signal and body panel was because his exhaust can was loosely wiggling on a pivot the whole time...

ETA2: I bet you could grab that exhaust a thousand miles ago and make it point 5 degrees north and 10 degrees left... :photogdamn KTM DESIGN FLAWS

ETA3: Ok i'm drinking listen guys like if you can't hear/feel a failing midpipe gasket blasting hot ass air all over your fender idk what to tell you. Like does anyone do a pre-ride check anymore :imaposerhere ya go
    https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-clocs_inspection_checklist.pdf
    :hmmmmm
    RideFreak and dragos like this.
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've made some assumptions that have yet to be proven - namely that the gasket blew and caused the overheating, vs. the overheating blowing the gasket and adding to the damage.

Personally, as a smooth brain, I'm not sure which happened, so I'm wondering how you can be?

Also there are many, many reports of melted turn signals. It actually is a flawed design.
  5. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What temperature does the header/exhaust junction need to be to compromise the graphite gasket...:rofl
    Or maybe at 40k miles of rough hard riding the graphite gasket failed from front to back allowing a seam to open that rapidly blown apart the seal from exhaust pulses

ETA: Clamping force of that junction is reliant on the compression of that graphite gasket, as it fails due to vibration the damage cascades and vibrations increase killing the seal quickly. heyoooooooooooooooo trust me 99999% of motocycle exhaust gaskets die to heat... NOT VIBRATIONS right?

What do i know tho?
    :photog
  6. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you're drinking I feel compelled to point out I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but your earlier post about repacking the stock muffler doesn't make sense - first because the unit is sealed (fully welded seams), and second because there is no packing inside the muffler to begin with...

http://690enduror.blogspot.com/2014/11/decatting-690-enduro-r-stock-exhaust.html?m=1
    Kaaden likes this.
  7. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once there was a little hole in the tank it might have drawn gasoline out through the hole into the exhaust stream and created an afterburner right there amongst his tank, chainguard, and plastics.

I can almost see that 690 shooting like a meteor at 100 mph down a Mexican highway at dusk with flames shooting out the ass end...

(I thought spark arresters were bogus until mine fell out and I found out, yeah, exhaust has sparks in it!)
    Kaaden and sprouty115 like this.
  8. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah sorry about not realizing it doesn't have a packable exhaust like 99% of other offroad bikes ;). My B
  9. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    sprouty115 and Kaaden like this.