Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    LOL of course...
  2. Ibsantosa

Ibsantosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, here I am, at page 47..
    I've been reading your post from page one. And, I have to agree with everyone that has given their compliments. Your pictures are awesome.

I have to confess though, after reaching this page, my mind force me to wander off doing something else, keeping me from reading through your last post. You know, like when you watch a sunset, and never want the time to pass. That's where I am now..

On a side note, Suzuki and Yamaha should have approach you already. Your bike pics are calendar quality shots. Better even!

keep it coming Dave..
  3. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    I swear I'm going to make some T-shirts for you "straight through" readers. :lol3 "I made it"

Seriously though , thanks for taking a minute to write a note, it always means a lot to me when I know it's made a connection :beer

Hmmm, sure, I'd work a bike/photo deal.

Already licensed some photos to vendor to use in their display implying (but not claiming) their product was on the bike....
    MotoVentures likes this.
  4. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    and for no reason in particular other than I just finished it and think it's cool.....

[​IMG]
    Uke, MazztheSpazz, Phipsd and 7 others like this.
  5. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this mystery item may not actually be on the bike?
  6. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Correct
  7. Ibsantosa

Ibsantosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :y0!

On a side note, your attitude towards riding changed the way I ride to and from work. Now, I try to use the back road as much as I can, even when it means it is longer (both in time and distance) then riding on the main road.
    They are not as pretty as your back yard, but still, better then the main road here.. Thank you Dave.
    MotoVentures and Desert Dave like this.
  8. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where has Desert Dave gone?
    Desert Dave likes this.
  9. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snowed in?
    Desert Dave likes this.
  10. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

No, I haven't started to do video, but I couldn't help but capture a little with my iPhone while out on a shoot Saturday morning.....

11. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    One of the more wild adventures I've had in my life maybe...certainly the most intense wildlife encounter I've ever had. Early morning this last Saturday (copied this from my FB page, sorry for the double duty for those who check out my stuff there)

o.k. kids it's story time.....

What a morning. Went to Yosemite anticipating Frazil Ice, and saw way more than I could imagine forming in front of me, but never would have guessed that wouldn't be the most memorable moment of the day.

So I'm on the little trail that goes to lower Yosemite falls before sunrise. NOBODY ( I love it) at the Falls but me, temps in the low 20s, a really wintry morning. Just East of the Falls I'm gazing intently at a photo opportunity, in my own little world, when I hear the very unmistakable sound of a large pissed off cat. I turn around and see an adult mountain lion (no lie) TEN feet from me. What's weird is my first thought was it was going to run off, because it seems that's what all cool animals do when I don't have the right lens on my camera, but this one didn't. Just the opposite, it continued to approach me showing me it's teeth and making sounds that I will never forget. Like it was really, really mad. At me.

Now this doesn't make sense, these cats are supposed to eat children right? Not adults over 6 foot tall. Somebody didn't tell this cat.

So I did that thing we are told to do and put my hands above my head to look bigger, and the cat did stop, and we had a staring contest I'll never forget. My adrenaline was pumping like crazy as I contemplated how I would use my camera on it tripod as a self defense weapon.

Again, this is strange, but a part of me was amazed at the awesome presence of this animal, and of course the whole thing was sort of surreal...like is this really happening??

Right about when the cat took a particularly aggressive stance I saw movement behind it. A lion cub making it's way through the forest. Again kinda weird that part of me thought it was cool and wanted a better look, but also a HUGE rush of relief as now I understood the aggressive behavior of the lion. Be cool...we got this.

As the cub got further away the lion started to relax more and ease back. I took this opportunity to squeeze the shutter a few times on my camera in the general direction of the animal. I knew they would be lousy as the camera was in manual mode set at 1/15 sec for a waterfall on a tripod...not wildlife. But I just prayed I could get an image for my own memory, even if it was blurred.

So not a prize photo, but I still have to share as this is a moment I'll NEVER forget in my life. I'm glad it happened. It was awesome. So alive. I'm even more glad it turned out like like it did. I'll probably never see one like this again...and that is o.k., next time I hope it's with a good telephoto and maybe 30 yards out [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out those teeth! at least I was.....

[​IMG]

As the lion went back into the woods I took a couple of steps in it's direction at a feeble attempt to get a photo. She saw me move and stopped and looked back at me like "you want some more??"

[​IMG]
    ShimrMoon, Uke, jabreu and 21 others like this.
  12. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fascinating to watch that that water and snow. It resembles a flash flood, but winter style. I was at the Yosemite Falls in 2015, but cannot recall the wood walkway very well. Is that where you recorded the flow? At first I suspected you might be at the top.

Edit: I just read your latest post.

Oh crap! That cat was wishing he brought his Tabasco sauce!
  13. Desert Dave

Oddometer:

I shot all of this below lower falls, from the loop trail, near where the trail heads off towards mirror lake etc. The AMAZING thing was NONE of that is snow. There was zero snow on the valley floor, and when I arrived that morning the forest floor was bare everywhere in that video, so I watched all of that come in and creep up on land and over the trail. Something I'll never forget. I was out there at least 5 hours just taking it in.
    motocopter likes this.
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    When you update things you really update. I'm glad the encounter with the big kitty didn't turn bad and you were able to get a few shots.
    Uke likes this.
  15. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    WOW! Crazy story DD. I am so glad I have never heard the mad momma lion sound. Stoked you got a few photos of her in the moments of chaos. The Frazil Ice video was cool too. Did not know that would be happening this time of year in Yosemite. So much going on there, it's a beautiful national park and one of my new favorites. Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to you. :D
  16. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Good story/event Dave. Yosemite Falls is on my list but not the mountain lion. Did you report this event to a Yosemite staff member? Surely they like keeping track of where the mountain lions are.
  17. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    lol, yeah never thought about if I'd recognize that sound before, you just DO.:lol3

Frazil Ice is usually a march/ april thing, when the falls are flowing enough to get the required mist to form the ice AND temps can be low enough. The storm last week with all the rain up there brought higher water levels then I've ever seen this time of year (more like spring) and when the weatherman mentioned the drop in temps this last weekend I had to go thinking there would be a chance. Wow, did that one pay off! My hopes were exceeded. One of the things not captured in the video was when an ice flow moved that had already stopped in the distance you could hear it cracking timber and see foilage moving..way cool. Yosemite your NEW favorite? have you been going up there?

And happy Holidays right back at you

Yeah, I suppose a little more went on then I anticipated :lol3 Can you believe that was just one day....like before noon?? After the lion incident I was flying so high I didn't care if I got any shots the rest of the day. Of course that changed as "the rest of the day" came around
    The_Scottsman and Ladybug like this.
  18. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    I mentioned it to a couple rangers later in the day who didn't take me seriously as they were "sure" i must have seen a bobcat...until I showed them the shots on my camera :lol3 They were surprised as they hadn't even heard of them being in that area. I feel really lucky to see something so rare.
    Uke and The_Scottsman like this.
  19. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Uke, Phipsd, Combatscoot and 3 others like this.
  20. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you said there was no snow on the valley floor, it confused me as there it was all around the what looked like an ice filled creek you were taking video. There a good video with explanation by YNP rangers of the Frazil ice on the right side of the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazil_ice

Thanks for taking us along Dave.
    Desert Dave likes this.