Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Part scientist and part photographer I see. Thanks for the Frazil Ice info and the photo above is amazing by the way. We visited Yosemite on the bike for the first time on Labor Day weekend this year...ugg! Yosemite is majestic and breathtaking----seriously, everyone should see it! Promised Half Dome that I would be back, promised myself I would never ever go back during the busy season! Your trip planning is strategically perfect, I should take notes on that.:D
    Desert Dave likes this.
  2. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I saw that one, or one like it a few years ago and that made me determined that I needed to witness it myself. Of course we were in a drought.... I've tried a few times to hit it right and pretty much nailed it here. That video is worth a watch for sure, exactly what I was seeing.

Yes, Yosemite in summer is for everybody else, not me. If I absolutely need a fix I will arrive well before dawn, watch sunrise, have my breakfast by the river and be leaving by 8 or 9 in the morning as everybody else is coming in. Winter is the best in my opinion.
  3. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're still around Desert Dave...we hadn't seen any updates in quite awhile. Thanks
    Desert Dave likes this.
  4. CO-or-bust

CO-or-bust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Temporary: Jersey (long story...), Goal: 'rado
    If that Momma actually got mad, "30 yards" would not be enough, my Brutha'!!! Though they tend to just leave humans alone, that is one FAST and POWERFUL animal --- especially when protecting her young. AWESOME tale to tell though.....

Desert Dave likes this.
  5. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow what a great capture of the Frazil Ice. It looks like Liquid Landslide to me, awesome. Even thought I have lived in California all of my life Yosemite is still on my bucket list,Thanks.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  6. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the fire fall to the frazil ice, this thread keeps delivering.
    PinkPillion and Desert Dave like this.
  7. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    If a big cat like that really had it's sights set on me 100 yards wouldn't be enough!:lol3 If that cat was really out to eat me I would never have known it, she LET me know that she was there. In the moment I sure didn't realize that though!

the reason I picked 30 yards is that is what it really takes to get an epic wildlife photo, or not much more. People always say, yeah but you've got one of those big lenses right? Like one can stay a safe distance away and see the animals eyes. Truth is even with the really long telephotos one generally needs to get way closer than is safe for the good shots. I've been wanting a mountain lion shot for quite some time, and I still do as these were snapshots, not good photography. But I always envisioned it like most wildlife I see: If I'm lucky I spot something long enough to attempt to get closer until the animal scurries off. Which in all likely hood would be a best case scenario for a lion like this, unless with cub, that would be an ideal shot for me. Knowing that the basic nature of the cat is to avoid me. Still a risk. We ride motorcycles also :D

Never did I think I'd turn around and have one in my face (well ten feet, but it sure felt in my face) My biggest regret of the whole thing was I should have taken 5 seconds to change the settings on my camera as it walked away and possibly had a really good photo, but my head was spinning pretty quick in the moment, all I could think was push the shutter....
    Uke and CO-or-bust like this.
  8. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm not going anywhere :D Just my priorities have been a little different lately, like I always preach: do what feels right....right now

Shame on you! Forget the bucket list....you need a "what I'm doing THIS weekend" list!! :D

Everybody I've known that has waited a long time to experience it have all wondered why they didn't do it sooner....this is a great time of year to

Thanks man! Sure I stumble on some neat stuff up there, but a lot is when I become aware of something I need to see I become almost obsessed about it. I'm not done yet:deal
    The_Scottsman and WRC51 like this.
  9. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Part of the enjoyment of your thread is you always manage to take great wildlife shots.

I believe it takes an animal whisperer to get a mountain lion experience like that.

How funny... your reaction of frustration over not having a sharp photo... Most of us would be happy we didn't get our ass handed to us.

The photos you grabbed really show how big that lion is. Huge.

What an experience being able to communicate with a grown lion in the wild like that... Reassuring it that you were no threat. And being offered a glimpse in the life of a mountain lion pride.

Great story. Thanks for sharing your glimpse.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  10. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Man, I don't think I could have described it better! Really, thanks for the thoughtful words :nod It's appreciated.

Just being out there so often at times when I'm all alone and quiet is what makes these opportunities happen , and I'm always thankful. And yes, I've always felt some weird bond with an animal that I can't describe in situations like that...like an understanding or something.

As for the rest of the day I have so many photos of a frozen Yosemite, here's a couple more from last weekend and I've barely looked through what I took.

20 minutes earlier this bridge had dry forest floor all around it.

[​IMG]

Bridalveil Falls looking really cool

[​IMG]

Think this Saturday will be EPIC conditions with a clearing storm......and I haven't even finished last weeks photos yet!
  11. Topcop45

Oddometer:
    Cant wait to see more of these great photos...and some rides
    Desert Dave likes this.
  12. Maddevill

Maddevill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, instead of work, I have just finished all 48 pages of this thread. You and I ride many of the same roads, we just ride them totally different. Your pictures and attitude have convinced me to slow down and really look at the world. My wife has a real good eye for pictures, time to get her a good set up and turn her loose. I'll play transportation service, happily. I'll keep an eye out for you at the Junction.

Maddevill
    Desert Dave likes this.
  13. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's almost that time of year again, but a vastly different weather situation...are you going for it again Dave? If nothing else, I get to quote one of the most spectacular posts in this thread.

Desert Dave likes this.
  14. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Yeah maybe give it a try (the slowing down thing). Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. Either way you try something different and maybe discover more than you thought. If you had told me 10 years ago that I'd be doing what I am today I would have laughed at you...and now I can't imagine it being any different.

Glad you are on board

Sure thinking about it. Looks like we have the snowpack for sure, and run off shouldn't be a problem if the sky is clear enough to let in the light.I've been to Yosemite at least 3 or 4 times in the last month and Horsetail Falls has been flowing really good each time. Thinking of a couple ideas that may be a bit different, but then again I may just get in with the group. Probably won't take time off work...but then I may...so as the window opens I'll just watch conditions and see what I feel like. Funny looking at that post because the shots from Cascade falls I actually want to redo also!

Sure would be neat to see again. Although last year the phenomenon went viral, I expect it to be more crowded than ever this year if conditions are good.

And again, since we are bumping the thread here I'll throw in a couple random Yosemite shots...just because[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ShimrMoon, Uke, michaeln and 9 others like this.
  15. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figure that a moment like that would put some rust in your drawers, if you think the teeth are menacing and intimidating you should check out the paws and claws. My coworker has a friend in Wyoming that know someone that work for the wildlife management who sends her photos of animals that they relocate from towns and he sent her pictures of mountain line they tranquillized and relocated. Its paw covered his hand and its claws were at least three inches long, one swipe from that would be bad. Most ranchers out there have a big dog and a big revolver on them when they are out and about on their property, just in case they in counter bears or cats.
  16. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Another round of awesome pictures for sure Dave. With all the snow and rain in NorCal, there is color at the end of the rainbow though.
    Spring is starting to peek out. All I had was my phone, but the mustard didn't seem to care.

[​IMG]
  17. Topcop45

Oddometer:
    Sooooo I guess this page is done?
    Desert Dave likes this.
  18. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Dave are you posting to this thread and FaceBook?
    Desert Dave likes this.
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there Dave

Hope you're ok brother

S
    Desert Dave likes this.
  20. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Not done yet.....:deal
    Mostly Facebook at the moment...subject to change on any tiny whim like everything else I do....:nod

Doing great, thanks for asking :beer

I've had a few people ask in the last few months which always reminds me of what a great community this is. So here's the deal.

As you all know I've been getting in way over my head in the photo stuff, which has rekindled a fire from early on in my life to get into nature in a deeper way. This often involves hiking, hikes that for my out of shape self leave me in no condition to want to ride a motorcycle home. This winter I've discovered the joy of Four wheel drive and for some of the things I'm into its simply a better tool than the bike. Sure I'll ride into the snow, but generally a big storm means head for lower elevations. this winter for the first time I've been in places like Yosemite in the sub freezing pre dawn hours in almost white out conditions. People call this "bad" weather, but I want to be right in the middle of it. Whether I'm taking photos or not.

So I quit riding.

o.k. that's bullcrap :lol3

But it kind of seems like it sometimes. For the first time the majority of my winter photography hasn't been on a bike. And I have mixed emotions about that, but I'm doing what seems best for the moment. On the flip side, the riding I have been doing has really been just about the ride, kind of like before I started this photo stuff. Of course I bring a camera, and always have an eye open, but the priority is on the the ride , which in some ways has been liberating to not even think about photos, but just apexs and such:evil. Reminds me of when I got really "serious" about shooting firearms for a few years and all my riding buddies thought In was gone. No, my priorities were just different for a little while, but the bike was always there and when the pendulum swung back I was in full throttle again. The pendulum will swing back again and we'll see where it lands, but in the meantime, honestly my rides have been pretty boring to talk about and almost no photos, at least of the bike.

My plan, if I had one, was to break the silence on this thread after the passes open this year. For those not local, this year has had extreme snowfall, and the passes that are usually open are still under 20 feet of snow in places. I'm chomping at the bit to see some of these epic conditions, and enjoy my favorite roads on two wheels. Could be a perfect pairing for the moto/photo thing :nod So hopefully that is coming soon. And trust me, if the walls of snow next to the road are the 20' bobsled runs they are right now there will be plenty of hero bike/ride photos where I try to convince you all I'm some kinda bad ass on two wheels...

In the meantime, a few more shots for those who don't see my photos elsewhere , and I know a certain percentage of you just scrolled past all this jibber jabber to see if there are any new photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm particularly proud of this one...look up Niagara Falls / Donnell Reservoir and tell me if this is one of the most clear shots you'll find....and a ton of bushwacking to get to this spot I might add
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued....at some point
    ShimrMoon, Uke, Ladybug and 18 others like this.