Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, your photos get better and better!! Absolutely beautiful!
    Desert Dave likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Keep those photos coming even if you don't get there by motorcycles. They are always so beautiful and show a piece of the world that is special.
    Desert Dave, Phipsd and mike25 like this.
  3. C5dad

C5dad Man on the Run!

Oddometer:
    Dave, I'm only at December 2014 and your pics are making me homesick. Especially with the temps hitting 118 here in Arizona. Seeing the Rides around Alice's are especially killing me (yup, from the Penninsula). Maybe I'll catch you on the roads this fall when I come up for a visit. First beer is on me for all the great pics of places I've hit over the years.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  4. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0664.JPG This is a shot I took at a pullout just above Kennedy Meadows. It shows why this road is so damn great. Perfect surface and awesome curves.
  5. Topcop45

Oddometer:
    Uphill from the same spot IMG_0665.JPG
  6. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    I love that road. Better start planning a fall ride up there, and camp at Leavitt Lake.
  7. PeanutRider

PeanutRider Noendv1

Oddometer:
    I love Utah!
    Phipsd likes this.
  8. Topcop45

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing we’re done here?
    Desert Dave likes this.
  9. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Desert Dave and Uke like this.
  10. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Desert Dave's last post anywhere in ADVR is at the top of this page, last June, 2017.

He checked-in yesterday.

With respect to this thread, one never knows but it seems he has moved on.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  11. Kampfire

Oddometer:
    I think he has simply moved his great photography to a wider audience.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  12. Uke

Oddometer:
    This being Ride Reports and not the Vendors' area, certainly an audience with greater commercial opportunity.

And I can't fault anyone for making a buck, I know all too well what quality photo gear costs. Not to mention the ride, moto or otherwise, to get to just the right place and moment.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I miss this thread . . . :(

But the one constant in life is change. I keep watching his Facebook and he's still taking great pics.
    Thanks for the memories here Dave. Best o'luck to you.
    Uke, Desert Dave and bobw like this.
  14. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Sure is nice to see people still enjoying this thread even if it hasn't been updated in 17 years.

You all are the best. Really.

I suppose I could re-write what I said in the post last June when I broke my silence, as it's pretty much the same situation. I've been doing a LOT of NON-moto photos. Quite often I'm getting on the road as early as 2 AM to catch sunrise somewhere awesome, maybe spend the day hiking and climbing around rocks, and even staying for some nocturnal photography and it takes it toll on me. And when the ride home is maybe 150 or miles in dark and cold after all of that.....I can't lie, the bike just doesn't seem very inviting to me. Honestly kind of awful. I know...I've done it a bunch.

So simply, my best photos are often not moto related at all. And this IS a ride report right? I really don't want to be an adventure poser in a cage :lol3. Seriously. One step further I don't even know if I can call my rides "Adventure" rides anymore. I'm a sport-touring guy with some dirt road thrown in. I love what I do and not rationalizing anything, I'm doing what excites me this moment. And if it doesn't, then I'll do something else.

I really don't have much ride material anymore. My rides are less often but I LOVE them. I just don't take many photos. I've found I ride most often during boring (photography) weather. You know, blue skies and warm...which ironically is what so many think of as good weather. I suppose my ride report would be like this: "I go corner. lean hard. lean other way. gas. Brake. Stop and stare at river. Repeat" :D Perfect in my book but not so much for this thread. Oh and maybe a bad cell phone pic of my bike at a gas station.

As for the photo thing I'll invite you all again. Lots of interaction on my Facebook page, and if you do come by be sure to say hi and let me know who you are! And yes, I am looking for a bit larger crowd that maybe wouldn't hang out in Jo Mama. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I've had a big learning curve with trying to set it up as a business, only to learn that I'm happier with it as a hobby out of control. I sell a few here and there, but it's all about loving what I do. I can make money other ways much easier. I've also learned that I have to decide if I want to take photos that will appeal to the masses more...or stick with what I feel comes from inside. I think you all know what I chose on that.

And yes, I'm still long winded, but I just can't say it in a few sentences. Maybe why I like photography....they say those things are worth a thousand words each!!

Anyway, I did promise to show some photos from the day Sonora Pass opened, so I'm late but didn't break a promise. It was not a photo day...there was full tilt boogie and time for sightseeing. Managed to get in a few snapshots as well.

Shortly after sunrise

[​IMG]

Saw some other doing the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamour shot. Can't help it.

[​IMG]

Went back the next week a bit more serious about my photos. Particularly the conditions at Leavitt Falls and FINALLY got my shot there

[​IMG]

That made my day :D
    And another hangout upstream.

[​IMG]

Kept an eye on local spots as well. One of my Hamilton rides this Fall that put me in moto-photo mode really quick. This counts as a ride report pic because my bike IS in it....look closely

[​IMG]

Hung out with ghosts in Bodie

[​IMG]

kept watch over the Delta

[​IMG]

...and other Valley goodness

[​IMG]

Did my annual trip to Burney for my one official "social" trip of the year. Of course I snuck away from the campfire a few times......

[​IMG]

Made my rounds in the Eastern Sierra to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and like usual I spent more time in Yosemite than the average park ranger.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even managed some shots from Hetch hetchy recently that I've been trying to get for a couple of years!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..............I could go on.

So, you see how I can never "simply answer a question" :lol3

But in regards to the question are "we done here?"

I haven't a clue.

When it feels right :D
  15. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a challenge!! Jus laying low for a bit

Well there's your long answer :)

Thanks for the plug Ken!!
    jazzer, Shaggie and Uke like this.
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking in Dave. Your photos on your website and here are stunning. Enjoy life.
    Desert Dave and Uke like this.
  17. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Nicest things anybody has said to me in awhile....thanks!:thumb

I'm trying :nod Would LOVE to have you all on board

Never really about the money, even though getting this up as a side business was part of the plan. Found out some of the things I'd need to do weren't what I wanted to though. Maybe at some point. In the meantime I just want to see it grow and hope others want to enjoy a piece of what I love to do :freaky
    Zubb, Uke and waylongway like this.
  18. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, just WOW, thx for checking in with us Dave. Stunning pics......
    Desert Dave likes this.
  19. Uke

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, Dave. That view of Half Dome was worth the wait, I've never seen it from that P O V before, exceptional, as are the rest of this latest offering.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  20. Kampfire

Oddometer:
    you know.........................
    Dave might take a while, BUT!

He delivers!

Awesome shots again, and always worth the wait. I have to buzz up to Yosemite this spring and see that waterfalls.
    John2453, Desert Dave and Uke like this.