Enjoying the Moment...My Take on Riding Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Desert Dave, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    thanks man! I wouldn't necessarily wait for Spring though, this time of year is great. If you do need to see the BIG waterflow DON"T wait for the news to announce the falls are peaking, that's when the madhouse starts.

Maybe every 6 months or so I'll check back in :lol3 Glad you dig the photos!

oooh, that's a double "wow" ! thanks !

That is pretty special watching the Sun come up from Glacier point. This shot was taken in Fall before it closes for the Winter. Got there an hour before sunrise and was the only person there. just awesome.
    renogeorge, SlowernOlder and Uke like this.
  2. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic shots as usual. I’m glad you checked in and hope you do so more often!!
    Desert Dave likes this.
  3. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Right on , Thanks! I'm sure I will, I just have no plans :lol3 I'm really excited about what I'm doing these days, but that can change in a moment. At different points in my life I've got excited about activities outside of motorcycles that have 100% consumed me for a year or two, and all of my moto friends get really concerned, and then just as quickly I get tired of it and motos become my 100% focus again. People think I'm being silly when I say I don't know if I'll always enjoy photography. I may give it up someday if I lose the fire, or at least cut way back. That's why right now while it burns inside of me I want to do it every chance I get. There's things in life I regret NOT doing, and I don't want to anymore, but sure wish I did it when I wanted to.
    Scotty707, GAS GUY and Uke like this.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    It so good to see you back and sharing some of your incredible photos.

Since you don't want to be a poser in the ride reports arena how about a compromise for all of us that enjoy seeing the places you go? How about you ask for this thread to be moved to the Photo area just below Day Trippin'? Then you can share what you want moto related or not. Just a suggestion and of course very selfishly since I enjoy your pictures so much.

Keep enjoying life no matter where the road takes you. :clap
    Desert Dave likes this.
  5. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I caught the spark in the first grade (1960) and other than my faith and family, photography still is one of the dominant forces in my life. Even when I'm not consumed with my own images, I have a particular enjoyment in viewing those of others. In the last couple of days I repeated something I would say to coworkers of the photo staff at the paper where we worked: Wow, I wish I had shot that (my ultimate compliment for any image).

There will be days when you're not motivated to pick-up a camera, but judging by your eye as seen in your photography, I doubt you will ever be far from that spark.

I totally understand the rest of your reply. About 25 years ago I needed a diversion from my job / work. I got fully involved in a fairly intensive hobby. I retired on the last day of 2008 and by the spring of 2009 the fire that burned for that hobby had completely extinguished. I now understand how much I needed diversion from work and once the work was over, so was the need for diversion.

After 33 years of making photos for others, it has been a real joy rediscovering making my images, that is, those that are first and foremost important to me.

Live long and prosper
    Desert Dave likes this.
  6. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. Guess I still think in the not to distant future the ride may be the priority again. Something to think about though. You can selfishly enjoy the pictures all you want :D

What a thoughtful reply :thumb

I find it hard to believe the spark will ever be gone. It will always be something I can do when I feel like it. There are days I don't feel like picking up a camera...so I don't. The one thing I've never got tired of is my love for the outdoors, and most of my hobbies involve that in some way. Photography is ALL about that to me, so not sure I'd tire of it.

BUT, if you had talked to me 15 years ago, I couldn't imagine the thought of not wanting to slide a two stroke around a bunch of single track. I was obsessed. My streetbike friends thought I was gone and wondered why I didn't want to ride street anymore. It wasn't that I stopped liking street riding, but I had some crazy passion for the dirt that I just couldn't quench. Somewhere along the way I quenched it. Same with Iron butt type touring. Same with roadracing. Even an "adventure" ride wasn't complete unless I got stuck up to my swingarm in mud or snow, and that doesn't sound as good now .Same with building motors in the garage...the roll away is getting dusty.

So I'm not sure what the future holds...but I can guaranty you this: I WILL wake up on Saturday mornings excited about what I'm doing that day!! :deal
    jazzer, Zubb, Scotty707 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dirtbauer

Dirtbauer KB

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the most awesome shots.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  8. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... and there it is.
    This is how I've lived. In Jr. high I was obsessed with skateboarding and duck hunting. Then I loved snow skiing enough to hate summers. Then moved onto fly fishing... then ice fishing ...then career building. Then the kids went skiing with relatives and I re-engaged. Joined National Ski Patrol. Moved to Summit county and patrolled and skied 50+ days/yr for a decade. Then road biking, then mountain bike racing. Then moved to San Diego and went gaga for surfing and skateboarding. Then got back into motorcycles, trap shooting and brewing beer.
    There's more to life than motorcycles. But I must say, its changed my life the most. Riding re-connected me with both my dad and my son. We talk about it weekly and get all fired up about it.

It's all part of life's buffet.
  9. Maddevill

Maddevill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, your photos are just stunning. We just bought a house in Shingletown about 9 miles from the North entrance to Lassen. I retire in 3 years and your pictures are going to be a guide for us to explore that whole area. Until then, I ride to Alices often and the other Bay Area roads. Looking forward to anything you post.

Mad
    shasta650, Desert Dave and Uke like this.
  10. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    You bet! :thumb
    I think I'm going to use that quote! I agree wholeheartedly.

In fact I think of my entire life as different episodes based on how and what I was riding at the time. Certainly the different people that were/are in those circles. Including relationships...not sure if that is good or bad :lol3 What I do find funny is how panicked people around me get when I get into something outside of motos. Like you, I can't just dabble, I need to do my best and see how far I can take it. Years ago I really got into shooting in a big way. It's something I've done most of my life, but for whatever reason I got the bug to start doing a few rifle builds. Carrying gear on the bike became impractical. goofed off with some very amateurish benchrest , and practically lived at the range. People thought I was done with bikes! And some were frankly upset. Really. Once my group sizes stopped getting smaller I lost the fire and bikes came back to obsession level. Bikes will always be there I think.....It's just a varying degree of attention.

I think Shingletown would make a fine retirement area! I've got 9 more years and a lot of the areas I used to think I wanted to go are getting crowded. North may be a good option. I love Lassen. For as much as I like that area I sure don't visit enough.....
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeh, its kind of sad but normal as life moves us through different friendships. My ski posse were like blood brothers to me. My surf buddies replaced them in the water. My riding buddies are like my closest friends now. One group doesn't understand as you drift away, and it's not like you don't care anymore because you do, but your interests just change. And I'd rather taste passion for many things in life than go through it all without branching out.
    Bikes were a huge part of my childhood, then brief parts of young adulthood, then when my son turned 18 we started riding some together. We both totaled the bikes and went different paths. A decade later I bought a bike again and now we are closer than ever before. Dad and I have something to plan for, talk about, and do together. No question, the bike runs in my blood.

Your pic of the "fire waterfall" is without doubt the most stunning photo I've ever seen. I love and appreciate the detail in art and you've always had a great eye for capturing and creating it. When you told us about how you 'stalked' that shot for years I could feel the excitement of your hunt and shared a little of the thrill of your success. You are one of a few who've inspired me to try to get more from my photos. And to SLOW down! I purposely chose to limit myself to iPhone pics, and compensate with editing and composition. I enjoy the challenge and feel that if I can make pics that attract the eye and tell a story then I've succeeded. I also really enjoy making simple video and still compositions (2 minutes max) of rides I go on. Only with the iPhone. It's kind of like hunting with a longbow and cedar arrows instead of a compound with graphite arrows.
    Well enough babbling.
    Nice talking with you Dave. Don't be a stranger here.
    Desert Dave and Uke like this.
  12. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Zubb -- Ditto re: "Your pic of the fire waterfall . . . ."

However, I'm exactly the opposite when it comes to using a phone for a camera. I've seen some astonishing images done with a phone, but to me it is like using a Kodak Instamatic. After working an entire career and having a rabid avocation for photography both before and grateful again post-career, I enjoy the tactile function of a camera in my hands as well as looking through a viewfinder, not at a screen roughly at arms' length. I'm the same with lenses, I consider a zoom lens not unlike using a cresent wrench as opposed to using size specific box end or open end wrenches. Give me a prime lens, fixed focal length any time. There is a time and a place for zooms, but at the pace I do photography now, I can nearly always choose a fixed focal length prime over a zoom. The catch phrase: horses for courses describes this best for me.

Nice that you share your feelings about your own approach as well as appreciating the images offered by Dave, both reasons enough to remain subscribed to this thread.
    Zubb and Desert Dave like this.
  13. NitsujD

NitsujD n00b

Oddometer:
    Just joined the forum (and the community of motorcycling in general), and I've been reading this thread for about a week. Of course when I got to the last couple of pages, I was crestfallen. I look forward to your check-ins, Dave.
    mike25 and Desert Dave like this.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    @Desert Dave, what skid plate is this? Looks like good protection in conjunction with the Givis.
  15. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  17. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    It's really getting old around here...
    Another year and another huge fire in the area. Rode up to Lake Berryessa to see what the "County Fire" was doing since it came over the ridge from Yolo County.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    23103a and WRC51 like this.
  18. Kampfire

Oddometer:
    I saw the email from @motor_roy , but I do know that Dave posted that he was moving his efforts to a different medium for his photography.

I think we should continue on and post up pics from around Nor Cal just the same.
    We need all the help we can get lately in these strange times.

[​IMG]
    Ladybug, Bigger Al, motor_roy and 3 others like this.
  19. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! One of my favorite photo stops right there!

[​IMG]

-Bill
    Ladybug, Zubb, Foot dragger and 3 others like this.
  20. Kampfire

Oddometer:
    And his buddy is being careful also...

[​IMG]