Enough time for Copper Canyon?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by FujoSana, Feb 20, 2008.

1. FujoSana

FujoSana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hola Inmates,

Our Wyoming winter has me thinking of warmer climes - Copper Canyon to be exact. Tal vez en marzo o abril.

I was thinking about taking a spring trip down to MX. I can see 2 days on each end to deal with getting to/from El Paso or some other border location. How many days would folks think would be the minimum for a comfortable stretch down to Creel and Batopilas?

I was thinking 4 days, border back to broder.

Copper veterans' recommendations appreciated!

Fujo
  2. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    It'll be one day down to Creel. If you plan to go to Baltopilas, you'll probably want to overnight the next night in Baltopilas. Then, it's another 1/2 day back to Creel leaving you a 1/2 day to fart around riding to Divisidero. In other words, the minimum amount of days would be 4 days. I personally, would spend a few more days checking out the sights and drinking their beer.
  3. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    You can get from Creel to Batopilas and back in a day but that would defeat the reason for going there. If you you've got your papers in order and don't spend a bunch of time crossing you can go from the border to Creel in a day pretty easy. I'd spend the time I had fooling around in Creel and the immediate area and save Batopilas for another time. One of the great things about Mexico is the slower pace. Take advantage of it.
  4. FujoSana

FujoSana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, folks.

So, it looks doable to at least get to Creel and back in 4 days. Maybe throw in Batopilas or other wanderings depending on the mood.

Any other must-see items in the area? What about stopping points between El Paso and Creel?

Guess it's time to dredge the Spanish back up. :D

Cheers,

Fujo
  5. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been down that way four times and I am sure there are things to see enroute but Copper Canyon is the big destination. It is 420 miles from the Santa Theresa POE to downtown Creel and it can be done in 7 hours via the autopista(toll road) or about 9 hours via two lanes roads from Nueva Casa Grande. The two lane roads are very scenic with about a 50 mile passage thru the mountains.

I have ridden down to Creel, then to Batophilas and back to El Paso in 3 days but it is a rushed 3 days. Overnighting in Batophilas is the way to go if you have the time.

When you get closer or if you are trailering and need a place to put your rig while you are down south, give me a call. Rich 915 588 5054

Last summer I rode from central Wyoming to El Paso in a day. It is 860 miles down I25 from near Wheatland which is where I spent the night.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  7. FujoSana

FujoSana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer of a parking spot! Hopefully weather will be such that I can ride out of town (though, admittedly, I would find it difficult to get my bike out of the driveway right now).

I think overnighting in Batopilas would be the way to go. Any problems getting OK lodging on the spur of the moment in either Creel or Batopilas?

Thanks again...

Cheers,
    Steve
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    No.
    Check the places to stay thread.