Entering Afghanistan on Bike I Don't Own

Discussion in 'Asia' started by markharf, Oct 19, 2019.

1. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I searched and searched but found nothing solid. I'm thinking of renting one of the usual bikes (Sertao, XT600/660, etc.) in one of the usual places (Osh, Bishkek, Dushanbe) next summer. Basic concept would be to ride around freely for several weeks, and if the variables align enter Afghanistan at Ishkashim to wander up the Wakhan Corridor and back.

I'm really just wondering whether the Afghan border guards will admit a motorbike not accompanied by its owner. Anyone with some actual knowledge of this?

Questions of safety, extravagant permitting fees, and time management will wait to be addressed separately.

Thanks much!

Mark
  2. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/uralistan-bishkek-to-kabul.923656/page-3
    This is from 2013.
    One usually needs a 'Dovernost' (change of ownership form) to get a 'Rupost' (permission for vehicle to enter and exit) but that seems to be just so they know the bike is not stolen.
    A letter from the rental place would surely do the same, but even then it seems tricky to be able to enter Afghanistan.
    Keep us up to date.
    An inmate called 'Sambor1965' also use to ride in Afghanistan a bit:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/afgh...urn-in-one-piece.504942/page-42#post-29553533
  3. markharf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, kiwial! For some reason I hadn't found this thread, which makes me wonder about my search techniques. Very helpful, even without any hard answers.
  4. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    The trick is not to search on the Advrider site, or at least not logged in, because most stuff to do with Afghanistan is in Jomama (and political).
    Even then, if the word Afghanistan is mentioned in any post in a thread, it will show up in the search results. ..and there is lots (I know it can all be filtered...)
    ...but if you go straight to Google with 'Afghanistan Advrider', it doesn't do either of the above and only shows threads where Afghanistan is mentioned in the headline...bingo.
    Below is another helpful link that explains the latest news on visa and permit requirements for a visit to the Wakhan corridor, like the need to apply for a double entry visa for Tajikistan from an embassy/consulate because one only gets a single entry visa on arrival at the airport (or if applying for an e-visa in Kyrgyzstan/Bishkek (1-2 days) instead of going to the embassy there (same day).
    https://expertvagabond.com/travel-afghanistan-wakhan/
  5. markharf

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes, I see that....which would explain how I came to be wading through page after page of "Jane Fonda" posts when all I wanted was some information on Afghanistan. I had better luck Googling without reference to ADVrider (including a bunch of expert vagabond.com material, which I read despite my initial reluctance based on his self-assigned identity), but didn't know to limit results as you describe. Thanks for the guidance!
  6. pjh66

pjh66 lost in the sauce Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you want to transit through Afghanistan? I've spent a little time there, it's still an unstable place. If you do make it in stay safe and make sure you pick up some basic phrase, you can also get what they call pointy-talky cards. Have fun and stay safe.
  7. markharf

Oddometer:
    Thanks to those responding. I'll continue to monitor responses to this thread, but in the end it'll probably all depend on, approximately, everything. Probably best I concentrate on surviving the winter before making elaborate plans for summer.