Entry level machines?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Twin-shocker, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if anyone feels the sport is suffering somewhat due to the lack of entry level beginner friendly machines on the market currently?

Back in the day there was the TY175 but with the demise of the SY125 Scorpa there dont seem to be many user friendly bikes available new currently.

I get the feeling that many newcomers will end up with 300, 290, 280cc machines and will then be confronted with a learning curve so steep that some might give up and try something other than trials?
  2. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean other than the Beta 200... And the Beta 125... and the Scorpa, Sherco, TRS and GG 125's? The bikes aren't the issue.
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and fprintf like this.
  3. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well certainly the pricing differential between the 200 and the 300 sized machines isn't much, so most people in the sport buy the biggest bike. By far the easiest size bike to get locally is a 300. From a manufacturers standpoint the bikes have to cost about the same to make as the smaller machines have every bit of the tech as the larger ones.

Anyway I saw a video on a dirt bike channel of a guy learning trials and he'd bought a GasGas Contact 250, which is about $1000 cheaper than a Beta 200. So they do exist. And I'm already a trials bike snob because my immediate thought was that he should have gotten a real trials bike.
    jonnyc21 and 2whlrcr like this.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    Sherco/Scorpa has a new model TY125F. Not available in the USA, but Sherco model is in Canada. Canadian price converts to US$ 4500 and that’s about $3000 less than a Sherco 125 2T standard model.
    North ride likes this.
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder do you think there is any reason why the 200 Beta is priced higher? Here in the UK the 200 is in very high demand and they are pretty difficult to get.
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds a perfect entry level bike Norman! Only downside is if its fitted with a Chinese clone motor.
  7. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    As I posted in the separate thread about this bike...
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-sherco-125-four-stroke.1344294/

Scorpa UK has already sold out of its first allotment of this bike. Nigel Birkett is riding one at the present time and describes it as “Brilliant” and feels the motor is a very high quality Yamaha copy.
  8. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Higher than what? It's $500 less than the 250. All Betas are priced differently based on capacity. The 125 is cheaper than the 200, is cheaper than the 250, etc. They don't churn out a lot of 200s, they always sell out early here as well.
    laser17 and fprintf like this.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get the feeling that Gas Gas probably also used to suggest the Randonee motor was a high quality Yamaha copy! Time will tell and if the motors stay in one piece it should be exactly what the sport needs!
  10. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    We will just have to see how well they hold up?
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best entry level machine is a good ten year old bike. As usual, we have had a lot of new riders in the last 5 years and most are no where in site anymore.
    Champe likes this.
  12. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials, it turns out, is hard ;)
    Nobade, DyrWolf, North ride and 5 others like this.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

If it were easy, everyone would do it. :evil
    North ride, jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  14. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And then you have golf... it is hard and everyone does it anyway! (though I hear they are also having huge issues with dwindling participation)
  15. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new Tenaci Wong is $4340 but a better buy is a used established brand. We'll have to wait and see how this China bike pans out. It fits the entry level bike definition. Cheap, easy power, electric start.
  16. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you notice the number of forum posts from people wanting to detune a modern machine and the number of riders struggling to find grip in slippery conditions its pretty obvious modern WTC inertia machines are not particularly user friendly and are probably the main reason many newcomers to the sport give up after a relatively short time?

Maybe the sport is headed in the wrong direction as many potential newcomers are likely to be frightened off by watching WTC videos and if they do go ahead and get a bike will in many cases spend more time fighting it than actually riding it and becoming familiar with the basic trials techniques?
  17. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    $4,000 should get you a good modern trials machine. :ricky
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  18. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question is how many riders can use even 30% of the full potential of a modern WTC inertia machine? WTC is certainly impressive to watch but is it something which is helping make the sport more popular and encouraging entry level riders to take part?
  19. North ride

North ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the draw of the big motored bikes is they make such fun play bikes for anybody with any moto experience. The low level sections I've ridden this past summer in competition could have been ridden on a old tl 125 or the Scorpa 125 4t with no issues. But people ride these bikes for mountain riding, just play and Single track. I find the 260 honda with a fast throttle ok for play riding pretty satisfying. Tried a 300 factory 2t that thing was very fun.
    DyrWolf, 10K, Takataka and 1 other person like this.
  20. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes WTC inertia is great fun to ride as a play bike, but maybe not quite so good for an entry level rider interested in improving?