Entry to Mexico.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sikorsky, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    So what Canadians here have ridden down to Mexico? I have been trying to find out what hurdles need to be cleared to ride down into Baja.

What has to be done before the border and after you get to Mexico customs?
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Why not post this in Outer Darkness, which includes Baja?
  3. Machster50

Machster50 Gettin' there

Oddometer:
    hey sikorsky - go check out the ride from Toronto to Panama thread in ride reports .... irishdec is on a trip and went down through baja and then ferried across to the mainland... really cool report, he's out there for 6 months...:clap
  4. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    Because I was looking for help from Canadians.
  5. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    Thanks machster.:clap
  6. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    Just read through it as far as Loreto ..... lucky fokker, here I am up to my arse in snow and rain.:cry

However there was no word on what to expect and what is needed crossing the border. Any other seal clubbers out there able to help?
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The obstacles Canadians face are exactly the ones Americans face, going into Mexico.
    The things you will need:
    -Passport
    -Visa, obtained at the Mexican border. I understand they are purchased for 1 week, or 6 month lengths [I stand corrected].
    -Vehicle insurance, obtained from Mexican companies who have offices along the U.S. side of the border. Our insurance is no good there. We will be going down in February, and have found a company that sells it online.
    - International drivers license, and good photocopies of it. purchased at BCAA. Used if authorities want to keep it in exchange for funds. Never give out your passport, or home license, give the turkey a copy of the International license, and he can keep it.
    -Dummy wallet. It'll never happen, but if you do get pulled over or held up, give them the whole wallet, with 20$ in it and some copies of this and that.
    - Put money in different places around your bike and yourself.
    -Have fun.
    Ciao, Steve
  8. Gadjet

Gadjet Gadget Freak

Oddometer:
    I went down to Mexico (briefly) at the beginning of september. As I was not going to be travelling outside of the border zone, I did not require a visa, passport, or international drivers license. Mexican insurance can be had cheaply, and can be purchased onlline ahead of time - pay with your credit card, then print off a copy of your policy - no need to worry about finding it at the border.

Entry to Mexico has a red light/green light system set up that is random in nature. When you roll into the entry lane, there will be two lights in front of you - one red, one green. If the red light comes on, you have to proceed off to the side and produce all your paperwork etc. for the Mexican officials. If the green light comes on, you can proceed through and go on your merry way without any hassles.