EPA Mode

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by jjjjjjay, Aug 31, 2018.

1. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding modes you may wish came standard:

Emissions mode - aka, crippled perf mode, gutless and snatchy mode, tell us about the rabbits or how FI is smoother than carbs mode, the reason I traded you mode, how even cornering can suck mode

Fullon illegal mode - perfectly filled in the Dyno chart mode, installed an exhaust that got rid of the catalytic converter and that hideous exhaust mode, how for off road only use changed my life mode, how I cheated and won mode

Hidden Beginners Mode - a fire breathing superbike derived engine but really only want or can use 60 hp mode, no matter how far you open the throttle I purr mode

Auto wheelie mode - snicking into gear automatically instigates levitation mode, so that throttle no longer functional and ECU maintains a perfectly balanced wheelie which only rear brake can lower or crashing, whichever comes first - fully Switchable at all times as long as Google Maps can detect the presence of lots of other vehicles, so one's prowess isn't wasted
    DesertPilot and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    "Emissions mode" is a great idea! Get you snatchy throttle fix, cross-eyed bureaucrats!
    jjjjjjay likes this.
  3. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That came standard on Honda's RCV 213! Fire-breathing MotoGP bike that only makes ~100hp (if I remember correctly) until you install the track only ECU.

[​IMG]
    Bar None and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jjjjay, I had to chuckle cuz all I could think was, ask some of those VW and Audi folks how well that hidden mode thing worked out. Just struck a humorous chord...
    jjjjjjay and soldierguy like this.
  5. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sad at all that VW got caught doing that. As a result of them buying back cars, fixing them, and selling them, I got a used/fixed 2015 Jetta TDI with 12,500 miles for $13,000. Two year, unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty, and a warranty on the entire engine, entire fuel system, turbo, and all emissions components out to 162,400 miles, with a clear statement in the warranty paperwork that says all warranty disputes WILL be resolved in favor of the customer. Since I put about 55,000 miles per year on the car (I'm a commuter), the buyback TDI was a no-brainer.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I wish my bikes had a riding mode that I'll call "tunnel mode." Any time entering a tunnel, the exhaust gets louder. Could also be useful for lane-splitting.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I'd think some of those "mode" settings would make sense. Nothing to do with regulations, more to do with a milder mode for rain/bad road conditions or just plain casual riding. I think some off roaders are doing that to deal with conditions. Milder power for muddy rotten conditions and full tilt for the rest.
  7. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Had no idea any of the diesel VW's were being sold.

My neighbor knows where there's a few thousand just sitting, rotting and leaking...(He works for VW.)
  8. double_entendre

double_entendre Ticking away the....

Oddometer:
    Post this to CSM where it belongs.
  9. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sorta like the wheelie option....that could make me look like a racer w/o having to worry about going over backwards.......
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My Aprilia has 3 modes:

Sport: full power, achieved with 1/3 throttle twist (I never use it. Too twitchy.)

Tour: full power, achieved with 2/3 throttle twist (95% of the time I use this one)

Rain: 75% power, achieved with 2/3 throttle twist (I switch it to this mode when my wife rides the bike, since she is used to a DR350. I also use it off road to reduce the jumpy throttle. It will still spin the tire in all gears at 75% power.)
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    My KLX has two:
    1. just starting the day, it's in "grip it and rip it" mode
    2. end of a long day, it automatically goes to the "my hand's cramping and I can't hold this thing anymore" mode.
    jjjjjjay likes this.