EPC and other niceties on Euro bikes

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Marotte, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Marotte

Marotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, let me apologize for pushing back this subject.
    I know it has been beaten to death, so much indeed I've been quite confused by the 345 posts about what's where and the 173 ways of getting rid of these 'unnecessary' stuff !!!

I'm the very happy owner of a new European KTM950 (850 km so far).

I've just received the Sommer Airbox, which I plan to ask my dealer to put on the bike at the 1,000 km service.

It's running PERFECTLY, so I want to keep cobbling to a minimum!

Is there anything like EPC I should get rid of on this 2004 Euro bike ? And what's the easiest way ?

(I've switched to the KTM aluminium silencers already, so I know I can get rid of the SAS, but do not really see the point).
  2. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    There really is no point if you are perfectly happy with the bike and it is running well...I removed my canister and SAS system becuase my tanks were flooding and the bike was posping like mad on decel...if you're bike is 100%, you may as well leave it alone.
  3. Marotte

Marotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except going from really really good to amazingly astounding ? :wink:
  4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Flanny which exhaust are you running can we remove the sas with stock pipes
  5. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Herein lies the crux of the matter. If you install Akra or Remus slip-ons you will notice significant popping on decel. I assume others have experienced this??? Anyway it was horrible on my bike so I yanked the EPC and SAS, installed a Factory jet kit (Some say not nessasary, others (me) can't live without it) and slapped Katoom's blanking plates on the heads and viola'!!! Runs like sexually assualted primate! :D
  6. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

I am running the stock exhausts....I'm pretty sure that the catalyser will get clogged...I'm taking a chance and living on the edge...

Even if the catalyst itself gets ruined, I think by the design of the thni gthat exhaust will still flow free..it just won't get catalysed...
  7. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've got some pretty significant decel pop (between shifts also) with the Akras installed on my 2004 ("second release" with black rims) 950.
  8. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Nope, not if the idle mixture is set right it won't. Just a mild burble on a close throttle. As it should BTW.

Did it on both my 950s. Removed the stock cans, fitted Akra's, no problem. On my current bike the carbs were set with the stock pipes even before I fitted the Akra's. Bolded them on, flawless.

The easiest way to 'get rid' the EPC is to just to unplug both connectors. About 50 seconds work...

Kind of fun to rewind this tape again... :rofl
  9. Gert

Gert Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    Marotte, as others have said, there is no need to remove the SAS - especially if you do not go offroad or wrench on the bike yourself.

I removed it on mine, but not for the slight decel burble - it did not annoy me in the first place. Also not for the weight savings. (I'd probably save more by skipping dinner a few times...), I did it to remove complexity from the bike. Less that can break off-road, and more room 'under the hood' if something does break.

Removing/disabling EPC is something that is not absolutely neccessary either. It only reduces engine power in an RPM/speed range that should only apply under lab test conditions. But the service manual mentions that vibrations against the frame introduced by incorrect mounting/placement of the EPC valves will reduce engine power in all gears and RPM ranges - regardless if plugged in or not. As you have not yet had your 1000km service, i would advise you to have your dealer completely remove it at that time.

But you can live without both SAS and EPC removal. But when you have your service and the dealer installs the airbox mod for you, there are two other things you need done: raising the carb needle one notch, and installing a 16T front sprocket. These inexpensive modifications really change the character of the bike to the better. You will love it.

Good luck with it!

Gert
  10. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Never found any trace of an EPC system on my GO!!!! bike (Canada) but got rid of the SAS & the entire charcoal canister system! :thumb

Btw, still running the stock cans with CATs.
    Do any of you know of a way to remove the CATs in the stock cans without damaging the CATs themselves & is there something else in there that needs to be removed or modified at the same time? :scratch
  11. Marotte

Marotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your patience in talking about that subject again.

I'll ask my dealer to do the EPC-sectomy, by leave the SAS

By the way, the 950 is becoming surprisingly popular here. I've only spotted one KTM950 during the previous 6 month. But when I went to my dealer yesterday (to get my final licence plate), there were 2 other black 950 under 1000km servicing!

My dealer told me they sold 10 units since the beginning of the year, but 5 of them in the previous month...
  12. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure exactly what the Europe version has under the plastic, but if you have a canister and air valves, it is MHO that you should remove it. You will not have a problem till it rears its ugly head. Fuel will make its way into the vent line which is also the same air source for the carb venting, and your bike will run like shit. It could take days for all the gas to purge it's self thru the evaporative canister. You bike will be hard to start also, and will idle very erratically, and run like its running out of gas. All that is required to bring on this situation is to lie it over on its side, or fill the tanks incorrectly, on a hot day. Also if the air valve acts up and does not open when it should, the same conditions will appear.KTM even has a bulletin on this subject, so ask your dealer to read it.
    Cheers
  13. Gert

Gert Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    I think it has been stated here before that the Euro bikes do not have the evap canister - and the problems associated with it.
  14. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    This is getting funny... The Euros don't have the canister but we do have EPC. The Yanks do have the canister but don't have EPC... Or was it the other way around?... :confused :D

Marotte, You might have read this about 10.000 x on this forum already but ask your dealer to raise the fuel needles one clip to 3rd from top. BIG improvement! Especially with the Sommer airbox cover. I think everybody agrees on this one... :wink: