Epic Australian outback journey

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by ratman1954, Mar 18, 2018.

1. ratman1954

ratman1954 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, Wondering if there is anyone from Melbourne planning any rides that take in Gunbarrel, Canning Stock route and up to Kimberley sometime Mid March to July 2019?

I am thinking of doing Melbourne, Flinders Ranges, Birdsville, French Line, Macdonnell ranges, Gunnbarrel, Canning stock route, Gipp river, kimberley, pilbara, perth, kalgoolie, anne beadell highway to Coober Pedy, Oodnadata track, strezeleki track then back to Melb. Only one I am really concerned about is doing Canning solo... and maybe French Line

Just looking to see who might be interested in Gunnbarrel/Canning mainly. Solo is a big ask. But having said that plenty have done it in pairs with no back up and I have seen pics of a german tourist doing the Canning on a mountain bike... and it's not a race. Lots of rest points and time off the bike.

The ride is planned to get progressively tougher with plenty of opt out points and alternative routes.

Not necessarily looking for people to do the whole route, there may be someone who is already planning part of my route that I could fit into and tag along, or someone might have been thinking about this but could never find someone to go with.
    agent86pc likes this.
  2. agent86pc

agent86pc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What will you be riding Ratman? I think I’d be interested in at least part if not all of the route. Nice to have a decent lead time toget things in order too.
  3. ratman1954

ratman1954 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I currently own a number of bikes BUT even the BMW R1100GS I have is probably a bit heavy. I was considering a solo ride so I was looking at either a Kwaka KLR650 or a Yammy Tenere 660. Leaning toward the Kwaka for simplicity, reliability, servicability, weight, range/tank size, options available etc. Most recent rips I have seen seem to use this size bike.
  4. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    I have four weeks off the last of May to end of june..... looking for a KLR to rent with the capability to carry soft bags or bags already on. I own two KLR's here in Florida.
  5. StuBalls

StuBalls n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Ratman,
    I am on a ride currently from Melb to Byron (currently in Byron), Simpson desert crossing next then Perth. Although could be convinced of other routes. My final destination is Perth.

I am looking for some support/company for the Simpson crossing for a number of reasons, not least of which safety.

I ride a modified DR650, which is performing really well. I would be interested to have a yarn with you.