Epic ride in Mongolia to Gobi Desert on KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MastaMax, Aug 23, 2020.

1. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trip was last year (June 2019), but just decided to start doing some editing of the video footage so here it is. Let me know if you have any questions and hope you enjoy :) :

Scribe, Saso, satchmo3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some pictures as well:

Attached Files:

satchmo3 likes this.
  3. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if there is a way to add a more than one picture at the time, will create more replies with a few pictures in each if that's ok.

Attached Files:

satchmo3 likes this.
  4. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Feeling alone in the world!
    This is the leader's bike with gps mounted:
    max-132144.jpg

Long plains of hundreds of km. The only way to really enjoy them is on a dirt bike. We hit up to 170km/h on those flat sections:
    max-092139.jpg

Highlight of the trip, riding a full day in the sand dues of the Gobi desert is something special!
    max-161018-2.jpg

In the middle of nowhere, we didn't see anyone for hundreds of km before and after that, a single ger tent. A man, his wife and their child:
    max-112308.jpg

The white stuppas, in the middle of flat plains they really stood out. Also the skies are surreal!
    max-150204.jpg

Every morning before leaving, the bikes were ready and waiting for us:
    max-082639.jpg

Drone shot :)
    max-0024.jpg

Here we are entering a mountain pass, famous for giant vultures (it's called the vulture's pass). We saw a few and they are really giant!
    max-085902-2.jpg
    From flat plains to mountains, the trip was very diverse in terms of landscape!
    max-174922.jpg
  5. mcskeeto

mcskeeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics and video. Mongolia has been on my list for a while.
    MastaMax likes this.
  6. mcskeeto

mcskeeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What group did you rent the bikes from and did you think they did a good job?
    MastaMax likes this.
  7. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah many great pictures, I'll post some more later.
    We first wanted to do it solo, but it would have been a hassle to 1) rent decent dirt bikes without a tour and 2) find gas for those decent dirt bikes :)

We used motorcyclemongolia, I think there are around 2-3 tour companies offering same tours with KTM / Husqvarna bikes. Our tour was perfectly organized, a bit too well meaning there was not much room for improvising or doing extra riding. Some days we were really fast and ended at the ger camp around 2pm and that was it for the day, we wished we'd done more riding.
  8. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found out you can drag and drop all pictures at once (well not more than 10), so here are a few more:

Here is the lead rider GPS:

max-122609.jpg

After the riding trip we met a few local Mongolian boys in a bar and they invited us to ride their trucks so the next day we met them and went for a spin:
    max-141855.jpg

Did some horse riding to a glacier, not so comfy with riding gear on (especially the boots) haha
    max-152639.jpg

And more riding... camel riding this time (note: they smell really really bad):
    max-162955.jpg

That's how one of the ger camps looked like:

max-185323.jpg

Some religious temples and structures along the way:
    max-10526729.jpg

Some of the only rare trees you will find in Mongolia. They are 100s of years old and very precious:
    max-195501.jpg

Support vehicles. Right is the doc's and tour boss, middle is fuel and camping gear for lunch and left is a van that kept breaking down :) :
    max-082648.jpg

Attached Files:

mcskeeto and Dorito like this.
  9. ivan_m

ivan_m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like it

Always dreamin about riding in Mongolia, as I don't have enough time to do it, only possible way is to organize a transport of my bike and come with an airplane.

Or do as you have done to take an organized moto tour agency...

There are cons and pros for both, this one you have done is much easier in organizaton way, but you don't have freedom as you were have if you go with your own bike...

But what I saw in your video you had wonderful time there
    MastaMax likes this.
  10. MastaMax

MastaMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are coming for a very long period of time I would not recommand bringing your own bike. I tried that in Thailand and it doesn't add up, unless you ride your bike in you'll have to pay taxes to ship it in, and as this is Asia, taxes are random and usually 300% of the price they think the bike is worth (that is in Thailand, Mongolia might have less strict rules).