Erica's Highway to Hell: Two months on the Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by erica728, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your off to a good start, post when you can, we are a patient bunch.

Mark.
  2. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    If ya come up highway 93 to the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula, stop by the Shady Rascal family hideout for a home cooked meal and laundry.

SR :D
  3. stealthpilot313

stealthpilot313 Stealthpilot

Oddometer:
    Way to go, girl! Be careful out there and take care of that ankle. We want to know more of your journey and the sweet, sweet ending too.

Rest enough before riding again.(Did you say you have 2 months??:rofl)That will ensure the best that your journey can offer.

Ride safe and continue to keep the rubber side down:freaky.
  4. emulzhn

emulzhn free from crutches

Oddometer:
    :lurk

looking forward to ur trip....
    keep us posted
  5. EnduroScout

EnduroScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This report is getting me even more excited about my own trip. thanks
  6. Balzac

Balzac Curses! Foiled Again!

Oddometer:
    There was a lot of fat, but it was tasty. I still say we should have iced your ankle with it before we cooked it. I hope the rest of your trip goes well. I wish I could go with you.:cry
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you're well on your way, and started out with some adventures right out the gate. Sounds like good company too.
    Keep on going! You have time...

I hope you can get your packing setup sorted out this week - you'll be happier once you can easily get at you real camera...

Better ride some more dirt to gain more experience before Labrador...
    See you in Chicago real soon!

Cheers!

SPOT Track so far...

[​IMG]
  8. erica728

erica728 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rewind to a few days ago: So after feeling guilty for paying $16 to camp at Zion National Park, I decided that the next campsite has to be free. I had spent all day at Bryce Canyon and decided to explore the outskirts for some primitive camping. Just west of Bryce is a byway called the East Fork of the Sevier, which was exactly what I was looking for. The road continues to the Tropic Reservoir and deeper into the Paunsagaunt Plateau. It has several great single track OHV trails that goes on for miles. After a bit of off-roading, I settled for a great secluded campsite:

[​IMG]

This was the deserted road steps away from my camp:

[​IMG]

Fueling myself:

[​IMG]

The next day, I had planned to head to Lake Powell, with hopes of doing the Burr Trail. Along the way, I met Jeremiah, an awesome guy, who agreed to ride together to Lake Powell. We both wanted to do some off roading, so we headed to Hell's Backbone. My first fall got my bike a little dirty:

[​IMG]

After eating shit a few times and bashing an ankle, we were off to the Burr Trail. We also ended up taking a great side road (I think it's called the Wolverine Loop):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finally arrived at Lake Powell and got a great campsite right off the lake:

[​IMG]

The next day, we parted ways in Monticello and I was off to Moab. First stop, Arches National Park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After an inspiring day of observing Utah's natural wonders, I noticed a road that followed the Colorado River:

[​IMG]

I couldn't find a free campsite and didn't feel like paying high camping fees, so I started asking around. I met a group of people that were staying at a hostel in Moab, and they said it was $10. Sold! I love hostels! I made a new friend that night as well, Owen from Australia. Since we both had identical itineraries for the next day, he suggested we go by car, so we can take pictures of each other. I wholeheartedly agreed, thinking maybe I can give my ankle a break to heal a bit. The next morning, we were off to Canyonlands and Deadhorse Point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being silly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the parks, we tried to find a campsite along the Colorado River, and with success found an awesome site:

[​IMG]

Enjoying the finer things in life:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this brings me up to speed to today. I left Moab with intentions to spend the night in Salt Lake City, but by the time I got there, I lost all interest. I figured I'd just keep riding until I got tired. I headed west to Wendover and made a pit stop on the Salt Lake Flats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got to Wendover, I still felt like making a bit more distance, so I decided to ride to Twin Falls, Idaho. To be continued...
  9. Anna

Anna Dedicated chocolate lover

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, Erica. :clap
    And a great report. The pics also show that you INDEED gave your ancle some rest to heal. :huh :augie
  10. erica728

erica728 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I know, I thought it would be a day of light hiking, but I couldn't resist the photo ops. I'm definitely paying for it now though...
  11. EnduroScout

EnduroScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
  12. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!!

I'm in ...
  13. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Too many hands on my time

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. How do you like the bike. I am thinking about getting one for my daughter.
  14. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Cigar

Cigar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am so in.
  16. AMERUS

AMERUS Traveler

Oddometer:

Looks like fun
  17. LoneTiger

LoneTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice gerl and GOOOOOOOD report :clap
  18. Ramage

Ramage needs improvement

Oddometer:
    Dang, Erica, for someone with a bum ankle you sure look frisky hopping around on those rocks! You jump higher than I can on my best days! :D

Can't wait to hear more of your adventure. Have fun!
  19. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

LOVE your camp outfit! Ride on!
  20. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had loaned my SPOT to Erica for her journey, and it seems she's in trouble... I've received many HELP messages from her in a remote area outside of Hell's Canyon NP.
    Not 911, so I assume that's she's physically OK, but in need of immediate help...
    I have contacted the local Sheriff's department and have given them her exact coordinates - they are dispatching non-medical help/rescue as we speak.

If anyone is around Enterprise, OR and is available to help her let me know and I'll pass it on... I've contacted the only adv FF in the area on tent space.

And for those of you who don't have a SPOT, this is a pretty darn good example of having access help when out of cell range.... combined with the power of ADV you always have support... (end SPOT plug)

Keep her in your thoughts and lets hope for the best.

Latitude :

Longitude :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]