ERTW - Enduro round the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Happy Jane, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    Hi I'm Janine from ERTW, my boyfriend, Pascal and I are riding our two DR 650 "round" the world. I will write a ride report about our trip. But because we are already on the road for four months , I'll keep the beginning a little shorter. For the ones who want to see a little more of the already experienced things, can also visit our homepage.

www.ertw2015.wix.com/ertw

We are both from Switzerland and 25 years old (I'm 25 in a few Days ;-) ) Our plan for the beginning is to ride from North- to South Amerika. After this part we will see how we get back home (fligh directly to Switzerland, ride trough Africa back to Europe or to Australia.. Russia back to Europe)

The launch of our Trip was on 4 April. We flew from Zurich to Toronto, with our Bikes in the same Airplane. Philippe another Swiss guy flew also with us (he has also rides a DR 650). But in Toronto our paths have separatet till...( you will see later)
    FB_IMG_1470282962669.jpg
    Our Bikes arrived in one piece in Toronto. It was like Christmas.

From Toronto we rode down to the Niagara Falls and crossed the US border.
    Then through the Appalachian Mountains. Where we hit the first offroad trails.
    FB_IMG_1470283036299.jpg
    FB_IMG_1470283045169.jpg
    And had our first three flat tires. :rofl

After the States New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee we came to the end of the Mountains and the prairie began. The first days were interesting but we got bored verry quickly, so we decided in Oklahoma to go on the interstate for our first time.
    So we past Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico in to Arizona.

In NM and AZ we rode our first BDRs, there are both very nice and not so difficult.
    FB_IMG_1470283218460.jpg
    Arizona. Biggest Pine tree forest in the World. And Pascal search for new Trails.

So this shoud be enough for the first part, the next post will be coming soon, so I can catch up with the contemporary.:-)

uintamts, Foiler, Seba1 and 6 others like this.
  2. chiyaanchinnu

chiyaanchinnu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, safe travels.
    Happy Jane likes this.
  3. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    The Arizona BDR led us directly to de Grand Canyon and after that we rode through Mesa Verde and Moab, the probably biggest fun park for offroad vehicles.
    Pascal rode the White rim trail in a little more than three hours.
    FB_IMG_1470283322684.jpg
    White rim trail through the arch.

From Moab our way led us through Nevada straight to San Francisco, our first big city. After that we were so excited to see some more big citys ;-) (Pascal hates it, when it has to many tourists:ksteve) Despite everything we went to Portland and what a surprise, Pascal liked it. It reminded us of my hometown Winterthur, which we liked very much.
    Right after Portland the Washington BDR started and made us sweat for the first time. There must have been some heavy storms before, so the whole tracks were covered with fallen trees and at some point the whole road was gone.

FB_IMG_1470283395716.jpg

Pascal had to ride both bikes over this slippery path.
    FB_IMG_1470283402173.jpg
    I took a rest befor we pushed my lowered bike over this tree.

Two months have passed at this point and we left the United States to a round trip through Canada. We went on Vancouver island, Salt spring island and then back to the mainland.
    Vancouver island was a big shock for us. The middle of the island is one big clearcut, only to the side where the big roads are, there are some bufferzones where the forest companies let over some trees.
    After the island tour we rode up to Prince George and then over to Alberta to the Jasper- and Banff Nationalparks.

The initial plan was, to ride up to Alaska. But after hundreds of miles straight on, just flat gravelroads and trees on the side, we decided not to go up to Alaska and spend the rest of our left time in the USA (we only have a 6month VISA to explore this big country)

From Banff we went to Calgary and then down to Idaho, where we rode the BDR again. ;-)
    After so many BDRs it was a nice variety to ride something with a different name, so we rode the Continental Devide from Montana to Colorado, with minor digressions.

In Colorado we rode several offroad trail, some of them were not in a good shape quite yet, which is why we had to make our own way back. One of these paths led us directly through the rear entrance in an elegant Golf Club. Others by a steep hiking trail.
    FB_IMG_1470354033687.jpg

Me in the front of de nice Golf club house.

In Woodlandpark, CO we stayed at an ADV Riders House and we also could make some big maintenance on our bikes in his motocycle workshop.
    At the same Place as Philippe, our now 3.5 month, lost Swiss friend, whicht we met up again there.

From Woodland park on, we three rode together towards Great Sand Dunes and Silverton, where we rode a lot of offroad passes. (Stony Pass, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass)

And now we are in Farmingon, NM, waiting for some parcel and enjoy a few days with no tent to assemble and disassemble ;-)

Tallbastid, larryboy, Seba1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    After our parts arrived and have been installed, we rode directly to Moab, for the second time. Pascal and Phillipe rode the White Rim Trail again, while I was exploring the city. This time Moab was a lot more quiet, because the people expect hot weather, but it wasn't that bad, only around 90 degrees.
    FB_IMG_1471233184345.jpg
    Pascal on the White Rim Trail

Two days later we continued west, pass the Gooseneck and the Mexican Hat to a Motel in Kayenta. We really try to camp as much as possible or stay at ADV Riders homes, but it was so hot and Pascal felt sick for days:( so we took a really expensive one, which we would never have taken on a normal day.
    FB_IMG_1471233326586.jpg
    Near from the Goosneck

From Kayenta we splitted up again, Phillipe went to the Grand Canyon and Pascal and I tried to go to the Zion National Park. But when we stayed at the gate they didn't let us riding into the park, because there was a thunderstorm coming and it was too dangerous, so we had to turn around and make a big loop around the national park.
    081016-Boulder-at-ZionFIrsw-1.jpg
    We had luck that they closed the road otherwise we would have maybe hit by this massiv stone.

The day was definitely not planned like this (it was my birthday) but on a journey like this you have to make some compromises and the compromise wasn't that bad.:wingsOn the next day we went to Las Vegas and catched up the party. Our first time on this trip in a proper hotel and this for two nights, it was awsome and definitly worth it. The city is so crazy and during the day too hot to go out. So we waited till the night has come and enjoyed the view in the night from the high roller, which was beautiful and we visited a cool magic show.
    FB_IMG_1471233234131.jpg

Viva Las Vegas :rayof

After two days of crazy people and weather over 110 degrees we rode as fast as possible to the west.
    And now we are in Santa Barbara and tomorow we are heading to LA and then to Temecula where we want do to the last maintainance befor we cross the border to Mexico.
    Heugemono, larryboy, Foiler and 3 others like this.
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great start to the trip report! You guys have already hit most of the highlights in the US, good luck with the next leg of the journey!
    Wierdrider and Happy Jane like this.
  6. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    They haven't even scratched the surface of hitting all the highlights of this country. But, they have had a good start.

Good luck OP on your adventures.
  7. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:

Thank you:-)

So can you tell me what are the must seen in the States? So we can maybe catch up this thing on our next visit.
  8. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    They've hit highlights I've never seen and I've lived here my whole life!

Safe travels guys!
    Happy Jane likes this.
  9. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure, safe travels.
    Happy Jane likes this.
  10. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Great intro.
    I'm following.

PS...
    Did I read it right?
    Pascal rode the entire 100 miles of White Rim trail in just over 3hrs ?
    What was his average speed?
  11. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    Around 35mph. Most of the trail is really easy and empty.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
  12. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Yes I've done a part of it but didn't think possible in 3hrs. I was told at least most of the day in one shot when I was there. And it was also over 100 degrees with no shade. ..so I opted out Lol

Good luck on your epic ride.
    I'll be watching
  13. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    Yes they told us the same, you need 5 to 7 hours to go around. ;-)
    The second time in august he went on the trail with a friend, taking more pictures and taking more breakes and then the 5 to 7 hours were about right.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
    goodcat likes this.
  14. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    In Long Beach arrived, we could stay in a house of Pascal's friend. We had a hole house just for us and a car for some downtown sightseeing.
    So we have done what we had to do when we are in LA.... we went to the Hollywood sign thru the walk of fame and did a walk on the Long Beach by sunset.
    FB_IMG_1471880330911.jpg FB_IMG_1471880381344.jpg IMG-20160817-WA0000.jpg
    I tried to improve my gymnastics ;-)
    FB_IMG_1471880415656.jpg
  15. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    After these relaxing days we went to Temecula were we had to work on our bikes to make them ready for Mexico.
    PSX_20160823_182216.jpg
    We changed our tires and the oil, Pascal got a new front brakedisc a second petcock and new cush drive rubbers.

For Mexico we completed a motorcycle insurance and the rest (the FMM, and the vehicle import permit) we will get tomorrow directly at the border.

The insurance we have made at mexins, we took the cheapest we could find. ;-)

Befor we leave the United States we had to go to San Diego, because a lot of people told us it's a must seen in the U.S when you are here.

IMG-20160822-WA0003.jpg
    San Diego

IMG-20160822-WA0001.jpg
    The Old Point Loma Lighthouse of San Diego

IMG-20160822-WA0002.jpg
    The Unconditional Surrender Statue, San Diego

So this was our last post out of the U.S.A next country will be Mexico.

Vamos a México
    Tallbastid, larryboy, Foiler and 7 others like this.
  16. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to see America's finest city!
    Have a great, fun, adventurous journey.
    Happy Jane likes this.
  17. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    We've been in Mexico for over one week now and still alive. The first day on the Baja California we wanted to ride our bikes on some offroad trails, but after more than two hours at the border in the sun, we decided to go further south as fast as possible, before it gets to late.

After two days of riding on the pavement, we tried out the first offroad trail...

[​IMG]

In the beginning it was pretty nice and easy to ride, but after 100km the trail got more and more sandy and I really hate sand. So my bike decided to take a nap a few times.

After 220km offroad we agreed that this was our first and last offroad trail for the Baja California. It isn't worth it. The landscape is always the same and we know that we will ride a lot nicer offroad further down on our trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In Bahia de los Angeles we had the chance to sleep directly at the beach just on some camp beds.

[​IMG]
    I couldn't resist

Our way led us along the Mex 1 to La Paz and from there to a small detour to El Pescadero, where we spent two nights in a hotel directly at the beach until we rode back to La Paz.

This evening a ferry will bring us to the mainland to Mazatlan and then in to the hopefully greener part of Mexico.
    Foiler, Seba1, Kanados and 3 others like this.
  18. goodcat

Oddometer:
    After 100km of sand on a loaded single cylinder bike you can skip the yoga exercises :imaposer
    Happy Jane likes this.
  19. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed you two on your mid-west crossing, but I'm a little further north than you opted to travel. Ich bi au i de Schwyz uffgwachse, i Glattbrugg, i de noechi vu Winterthur. Alles beste!

Marc
    Happy Jane likes this.
  20. Happy Jane

Happy Jane ERTW

Oddometer:
    Haha ja das kenni guet. Ich bi vo Winterthur und de Pascal vo Oberweningen