1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

ESA suspension readjusting when in neutral?????

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Menoche, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI Guys,
    I’ve had an issue for a while which bugs me. Sometimes, when coming to a street light and hitting neutral, the suspension will drop low and come back to its preset setting. It also sometimes happen in the morning, just after starting the engine.
    It’s a 2016 GSA... have any of you ever gotten that? I haven’t found anything yet on this subject and am very curious as to why the ESA would do such a thing.

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave Young likes this.
  2. bhinton77

bhinton77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have a 2016 that sometimes does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul.

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 that did this but not since the shocks and springs were replaced with Wilburs.
  4. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I would take it to the dealer. It should not reset the preload like that.
  5. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    It is normal, from the bike‘s manual:

The ESA calibrates at regular intervals at a standstill with the engine running to ensure the system is functioning properly. Chassis adjustment is not possible during this calibration.
    Velko likes this.
  6. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never saw this in my manual but will go reread immediately!!! Thanks Norduro!!!!

7. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Norduro,
    Can you tell me where you found this in the doc? My manual has no mention of this :(

8. Scott Parish

Scott Parish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I notice my 2016 doing this more frequently when riding two-up after stopping for gas etc. I start the bike in the 2 rider setting and it lowers and then raises. I took it to the dealer and they could not get it to do it for them and had not heard of this happening; but the explanation above makes sense and it looks like I need to educate my local dealer/shop.
  9. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    1E9381A0-A800-46AC-9307-AE71CB029B29.jpeg
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  10. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    weird... that paragraph does not exist in my Canadian 2016 GSA manual :-( I am somewhat displeased it it not in my manual :-(
  11. Dave Young

Dave Young n00b

Oddometer:
    The Rider's Manual for the 2018 R 1200 GS (11.2017, 3rd edition 01) merely states self calibration happens at regular intervals. It doesn't go on to explain that the calibration process happens at standstill with he engine running.

Dynamic ESA II auto calibration.jpg
    elcabong likes this.
  12. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul.

Oddometer:

I think the 2018 can adjust while underway whereas the previous generation ESA can only adjust while at a standstill.
  13. Dave Young

Dave Young n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I've actually experienced the ESA calibration process on my 2018 GS. I was parked up with the engine running (waiting for my pillion to stretch her legs) when the ESA cycled.
  14. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happens to me occasionally on my ‘16 GSA - glad someone started a thread and solved the mystery.
    Menoche likes this.
  15. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Note that the ESA is different than the Preload. The Preload settings are what's leveling the bike height.

Bikes older than 2017.5 have the 'helmet' icon settings. 2017.5> have MIN/AUTO/MAX as settings for Preload.
    That said, from my experience with my 2017.5 GS, you can't adjust between MIN/AUTO/MAX on the fly, you have to stop and adjust.
    If someone knows something other than that, I'm all ears.

I cannot speak for the pre-2017.5 models, except the first one I test rode surprised me when I rolled out of the lot and came to a stop sign, and it did lower the suspension.
    I may have been fooling around with the buttons though...
    I doubt that it would be a correct function for the bike to lower automatically when you come to a stop.
    That may be a sign of having to run a diagnostic or re-program at the dealer.
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    That's what it should do if you're in AUTO Preload. If she hopped off, it very well may have made the adjustment.
  17. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 GSA, mine does this but only in rider plus luggage setting and 2 rider. In single rider I have not experienced this.
    Menoche likes this.
  18. Dave Young

Dave Young n00b

Oddometer:
    It was in the Max setting when it did the ESA cycle. This happened on my brand new GS with only 350 km on the odometer on the way home from the local dealership. I've not used Auto in the three months I've had the bike. My 2016 RS cycled the ESA occasionally (calibration?) and that had the older generation ESA with the helmets and luggage symbols.
  19. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Maybe my 2018 does this on the fly, as I have never noticed it....
  20. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I heard, the 2018 is auto-levelling so whenever there is a weight shift on the bike, it will adjust... not the case for the earlier LC models....