ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tireatr, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    I used to like watching ESPN a few hours a week. Not so much anymore. They're trying too hard to make Sports a business to the fans. I get it, it IS a business, but do we really need to know the salaries structure of every team, player, sport? Mock drafts, stories on which team can sign this player or that based on need/Cap is more than I care to know about. I spend all day AT WORK managing people, costs, projects. Then I go home and manage my money, my household, my chores. The last thing I want to do is absorb more information about someone else's money. Is it the Social media phenomenon? is it Voyeurism? Do we really need to know how much money the Hot player of the week is re-signing for?

For me, sports is strategy and the game, but it's also about a small break for the real world, not all that different from watching a movie. Going to a base ball game is as much about being there as the game itself. Baseball is a slow game, a game where you can take in the atmosphere, the people. FB, Basketball, Hockey, Auto sports are different. There is constant action, which also takes us away from our daily lives in a different way. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe ESPN is missing the target.
    abandoned track and darmahman like this.
  2. spanky

spanky Well, maybe...

Oddometer:
    I stopped watching ESPN a few years ago when they became overtly political. I'm now down to occasionally watching Golic & Wingo and even that's getting to be too much fluff and BS. Guess it's time to ride.....
    outdoorsman, inline4 and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    That's entertainment.
    ClimbingFool and Vinz Klortho like this.
  4. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the rise of gambling, fantasy leagues, draft kings, these are all pertinent facts. As someone who bets sports daily and puts in futures bets, it's very helpful, however I can see how it would be annoying. And looking at an actual game today, there's all sorts of stats, where the pitch went, split screens, etc. Watch a baseball rerun from the 80's, they don't even have the pitch count, you'd need to remember or use the ump counter. :lol3
  5. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still watch Sportscenter. I'm a fan of highlights.

I do get tired of the reporting on contracts and all of the other business-related aspects of sports but my local paper, Sports Illustrated on-line and everybody else does the same. Apparently that's sports these days.
    Tom48 likes this.
  6. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Since my TV died about ten years ago, espn is very low on things I miss about not having a TV.

A network who hires and promotes a guy named Booger I have no use for.
    inline4 and Bigger Al like this.
  7. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still watch PTI when it's aired. With Boomer and Stuart Scott no longer providing commentary for Sports Center, it's become a dull and boring. Can't stand Scott Van Pelt and his cult of personality.
    inline4 likes this.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't watch ESPN much, have watch G&W in mornings as it was decent but lately is just repeat the same little content and the Golic bobble heads while talking has gotten old.
    inline4 likes this.
  9. MarLion

MarLion n00b

Oddometer:
    Don’t really watch ESPN anymore too but I still get my occasional updates from their site (match schedules, player stats, etc.). We can debate about the politics and all the in-betweens of ESPN but unfortunately, they do have the information that I want to see right away. Not sure if anyone here is a fan of cricket aside from me, but ESPNcricinfo is a godsend.