Estes Park to Grand Teton

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JohnBryer, Nov 20, 2007.

1. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    I'm planning this trip for just after Labor Day 2008. My wife will be riding her 1150 RT, so we'll have to stick to the paved roads.

Can you guys/girls post up some of the best ways to do this ride and things to see along the way.
  2. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
    Back in 1999 I did that part from Grand Teton to Estes Park as a part of my Yellowstone trip.
    You can check pictures here:
    http://www.viajareua.com/yellowstone.shtml

Then this year we did Yellowstone and Grand Teton :
    http://www.viajareua.com/Yellowstone_2007.html

The first page is in Portuguese, but the second is in English.

If you don't know Mount Rushmore/Crazy horse, I would recomend going North from Estes towards South Dakota, then after that Devils Tower's (WY, on highway 24) then get to the Tetons from East entrance.
    You will be few minutes from Yellowstone, so that would be a nice ride too.
    Having some extra time, go West of Grand Tetons to see if from the other side (the second link shows a trip there).

Enjoy.
  3. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    The more mountainous route:
    Estes Park
    US34 over Trail Ridge Road (slow but awesome views), to Grand Lake (nice town) then to
    Grandby
    US 40 to Kremmling
    North to Muddy Pass, catch CO14 to Walden, CO (North Park)
    then NW on CO125 across into Wyoming where it becomes WY230
    To Riverside, WY, then Saratoga, WY (pure Wyoming town)
    North from there to Wolcott Junction where you'll catch I-80 (to be avoided, at all costs unless necessary. Waayy too many semis) into Rawlins.
    Into Rawlins (great Mexican food at Rose's Lariat), to catch US287 north to Muddy Gap.
    At the Muddy Gap Junction, stay on US287 to Lander, WY (nice town)
    Continue NW on US 26 past Dubois, WY (another nice town), over Togwotee Pass (beautiful)
    This will take you to Moran Junction (at the base of the Tetons). Head South at the Junction for a fabulous view of the Tetons on US189/191 into the town of Jackson (cool, but lotsa touristas, East cost retailers).

That is the route I'd take, for an asphalt ride, not too long, not too short, just right. Major highlights noted().
  4. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Munchmesiter's info is right on. Do his route, you will not be dis-apppointed. great route. Hot Springs in Saratoga,Wy. Cool town, also.
  5. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That looks great. I appreciate it.