1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Ethanol Free Fuel...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zahnarzt, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...is getting harder and harder to find.

I looked at a few online sources such as : https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AZ
    and if you live in a larger city seems to be a bit easier.

So I went to a few local stations and asked if they knew what the actual percentage was.
    Dumb-founded looks was the most common response and one guy swore it was zero percent but the pump said "May contain 15% Ethanol"

Well, How am I supposed to really know?

Here is a quick test to see if your fuel contains ethanol, and if you are a math-y type you may be able to find the actual percentage.

http://www.autofuelstc.com/fuel_testing.phtml

"HOW TO TEST FUEL FOR ETHANOL
    To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

• On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
    • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
    • Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.
    The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel."

I will test some local stations as soon as locate some appropriate testing tubes, or I may just borrow some of my wife's canning jars.

Z
  2. gonerydin

gonerydin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ethanol paranoia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    You can make your own ethanol free gas from gas that has ethanol by adding the fuel to a container with some in it water. Shake well and let stand. Once it has settled, draw off the gas on top, leaving the ethanol in the water below. Same principal as your test.
    16VGTIDave, beemerphile and dtysdalx2 like this.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Nope, not paranoia. Awareness.
    By the time it gets to the rack over 500 gallons of water is consumed to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. More sulfur dioxide and carbon are put into the atmosphere producing ethanol for fuel than it saves at the tail pipe. Top soils are eroded. It ruins carburetors and small engines and EFI systems not made for it.
    It doesn't play well with two strokes. All the small engines makers warranties become void if over 10% ethanol fuel is used. Ethanol for gasoline is not profitable. It is subsidized.
    IDRIDR, max384, kantuckid and 2 others like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Did you quote the wrong guy? I didn't say one way or the other if it was bad, just a suggestion as to how to get ethanol out of fuel that has it.

You say it "doesn't play well" with 2 strokes, so could you please tell us why? Crank seals?
  6. gonerydin

Oddometer:
    The federal tax credit/subsidy expired in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Two stokes oil. Ethanol doesn't always mix well with oil. That left more than a few bare spots on cylinder walls. Ethanol isn't just corrosive it's erosive.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    When one tax "credit" ends look for the rise in "farm" subsidies by some other name for agribusiness elsewhere and then do the math. Ignore the name changes of what it is and follow the money man. Follow the money.

Ethanol has less energy than gas. Fuel economy goes down five to fifteen percent when you run E-10. It adds cost to fuel that gets you less distance. You burn more to go there. Do the math.

One thing seal clubbers and earth worshipers can agree on is the only benefit of Ethanol is financial and that's to the Ethanol industry and the people who created it. Follow the money.
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Castor bean based oils like Klotz BeNOL, Blenzall Gold, and Castrol R are all commonly used with alcohol (both methanol and ethanol) race fuels and alcohol/gasoline blends in 2 strokes and have been forever. Not rocket science, just old school racing.
    k-moe likes this.
  10. gonerydin

Oddometer:
    Look at the pump. Non ethanol gasoline costs more. Ethanol replaced MTBE in gasoline because MTBE is a greater environmental evil. If you remove ethanol from gasoline you will need an alternative. What do you propose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    k-moe and Strong Bad like this.
  11. not1044

not1044 ...or maybe I am...

Oddometer:
    Lead.

:hide
    racerb and Strong Bad like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    That would be tetraethyl lead to be exact, and it is where the old term "Ethyl" came from for high octane fuel.
  13. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    MTBE was used in very low levels, but lawmakers were “encouraged “ by ethanol producers to require a fuel oxygenator at 10% ratio, vastly higher than economical for MTBE, but right on the money for ETOH. FOLLOW THE MONEY.

And now, as this thread heads directly into CSM territory, good day.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Zahnarzt

Oddometer:
    And I was just tired of cleaning my friends carbs every spring because they don't know propper carb hygiene .
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Millions of weed eaters, leaf blowers, chain saws and outboards aint racing and hundreds of thousands of places to buy two stroke oil don't carry two stroke racing oil.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy unsympathetic

Oddometer:
    E30 and a tune for it makes for a 20% increase (268 to 320) in power in my WRX. No reliability issues as well. It has it's place. Bone stock components. Not even an exhaust. Sleeper. :D And it gets 35MPG on the highway @70MPH with the a/c cranked. Ethanol has it's place.

Like mentioned above smokers don't care for it. Methanol? Now that's another story but impractical for the street.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  17. racetrash

racetrash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In our off road race cars, if we can go 200 miles on e-free gas, we go 130-140 on e-85. Yes, we get 7-10 more HP, on E-85, but our fuel range drops, more gas stops.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  18. Zahnarzt

Oddometer:

How is the "Tune" different?

and is it feasible to do on a carbureted dirt bike?
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy unsympathetic

Oddometer:
    More boost,more timing,cam timing tweaks and a couple of other tweaks particular to the FA20DIT Subaru. Dirt bike? Nah. The FA20DIT is a turbocharged direct injected engine.

In my offroad bikes I run VP race fuels U4.4. Leaded oxygenated toxic wonder juice @$15 or so a gallon. You can and should tune your bike for a specific a fuel (Sunoco,Exxon,Shell.ect) as you can and run that fuel all the time. The difference with EFI engines is the ability to sense what's going on with the engine,i.e knocking,heat and mixture through various sensors. You just can't have that kind of real time adapting with a carbureted engine.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Thank ethanol for that.