Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krime, Jun 7, 2014.

1. blahwas

blahwas flow control

Oddometer:
    Another late reader here. Thank you so much for sharing and the breath taking photos! I really enjoyed it.

I have but two thought to add to the garments discussion:
    1. Handlebar mitts really keep your fingers dry and warm

2. I'd never ride a single day in the Alps without proper motorcycle boots. Not even in perfect weather. But your weather experience was less than perfect. Leather exterior, Goretex interior, Alpinestars or Daytona, again price but it will last a lifetime, offer good protection and you can actually walk on them quite nicely. I have worn them on planes on multiple 7 hours flights without any issue. Cheaper than a Rukka jacket ;)
  2. TREEMER77

TREEMER77 Treem

Oddometer:
    See those places impresses me, every time.
    And I regret being lazy, and not stopping to take pictures when I was riding through the Alps!
    :doh
  3. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The challenge with staying dry while riding is not one of the capability, its one of flexibility(and cost).
    We went two up through the alps again this July and had monsoon rain for a few days. The only part of me or my pillion that got wet was the padding on the bottom of my helmet, It got soaking and that eventually made our blue tooth in our helmets not work till it dried out.

But to do that we wore BMW Streetguard tops and bottoms and BMW riding boots and gloves. My first set of summer gortex gloves got sodden, your hands are not wet but they feel like they are, the second pair I was carrying had the new two pocket tech and they were great, never got feeling wet wearing them.

We were comfy through out the heavy rain that went on for 3-4 days.

But, when you wear that gear, especially two up, you are always wearing it. you do not have the option of striping down to jeans for the great days.
    When you walk around town, your wearing it, when you eat lunch your wearing it. There is no place to put the gear. An no matter the ventilation you get hot walking in that gear, and when it gets 38 degrees the second week, you feel that heat even riding.

So its choices and cost I guess, the pictures of the passenger look way better with jeans and a leather jacket. But the protection and weather proofing are not even close to what a real set of gear will provide. And when you want to see the sights, you are very constrained in those climates by heavy riding gear. But in jeans and leather jackets on a hot day you can actually move around and take some of the great pictures that Krim got.

All trade offs, but its easy if expensive to be comfortable and as safe as you can on the bike.

[​IMG]
  4. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    great shot!
    "nice head turn" (my inner rider coach speaking) :thumb
  5. ADK

ADK hoof arted

Oddometer:
    Enough of the gear discussions, who thinks Mrs Krime should ride and what bike? :freaky :ear
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have, I'm sure, made arrangements so you won't be parting ways with your bike on those days. You'd be surprised just how quickly denim evaporates when sliding down the road. :eek1

ATGATT!

You might get uncomfortably warm, but nowhere near as uncomfortable as skin grafts.

And yeah - I'm getting preachy.
  7. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    A) yes!
    B) a Triumph. :D (Or Ducati)
  8. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On our 2013 trip we were on our second day in the alps and saw a siren way up the valley we were in, as we rode up we saw the police and ambulance and a young guy in full gear standing over his very very very beat up bike. I gave him a thumbs up and he smiled and returned it.
    He would still be in pain 2 years later if he was in jeans.

I would be willing to ride jeans to take the wife out on a nice summers night here at home on my bike where I can read the signs and on my streets. But would be a bit hesitant. I would never dream of it on a rental bike on very challenging roads in a strange land.
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Great RR, I'll have to check out you others!
    Thanks
  10. Osprey70

Osprey70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Missed this report until now; just spent 6 hours reading and watching the the reports! As they all said WOW !! :clap:clap
    I am lucky to live in Lausanne and cannot wait for the springtime to get out there:ricky

I must say that as a European, I dream of riding in California or through the Grand Canyon - you Americans have your fair share of fantastic roads too :freaky
  11. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    We do have some good roads, and areas where you can actually link a few together, but few places you can ride all day on 80% twisty stuff. Here you must travel between good roads, sometimes several miles. Stringing 15 minutes of solid twisty stuff, is rare. As for the grand canyon, it you want to ride through it, the only way is by raft on the river. And unfortunately riding here, you ride in the valleys and look up at the mountains, there, you can ride ON the mountains, by the time we made roads through the Rockies, we had engineers and dynamite. You guys had goat and cow paths to pave.

But I understand the desire to travel to new places. I know a New Zealand couple that come over every summer, and just ride the flat Midwest roads, while many of us, pine to go to NZ to ride. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.
  12. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear all the new readers who chimed in, glad you've enjoyed the pics and videos.

Apologies for being MIA the last while... Mrs. Krime and I just bought a new house. :eek1

My father just said, "I guess that's it for the new GS you were about to order". He got a good laugh when I snapped back with a quick, heck no!

Looking to put down that order in the next week or so. But after buying this house, it confirms there will be no more Alp adventures for a pretty long time. :cry It's all good though, North American adventures here we come! :clap
  13. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the house!
    You have put a very memorable stake in the Alps, it will be there for you when you get to come back.
  14. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    +1 Congrats on the house

Looking forward to hearing from you in the spring, for coffee/pie/lunch what ever, on your way to the finger lakes. BTW, I can give you and Mrs K some finger lakes winery recommendations, as I have been to probably 50-60 of them. I am enjoying a pleasant Chardonnay from Vineyard View Winery, a small winery on Keuka Lake, as I type. And although NY is not known for its Reds, there are some really good ones around, if you know where to look. :deal

I can give you some good N Central PA routes too.
  15. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Thank you both. PFFOG, looking forward to it. We always enjoy visiting the wineries in Niagara, so visiting the Finger Lakes wineries will be a nice change, especially considering Megan has never been. Enjoy that chardonnay, sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday. :D
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Excellent news!

All the best in the new house to you & The Mrs. Pop down thru PA and swing by along the way during one of your North American Adventures. Shoot me a PM when you plan to get south.
  17. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:

I agree with this assessment of riding the USA, but just want to add that here on the East Coast, things are condensed enough that one may ride great roads for days on end in certain sections of the U.S.-

from Northern Pennsylvania down thru West Virginia, into where NC/VA/TN, come together it's all pretty darn great, often with little or no traffic. In Western North Carolina alone (a pretty small area) there are over 80 peaks which climb to altitudes above 6000 feet/1800 +/- meters. The highest mountain on the East Coast is to be found among them. It's possible to put together a loop of 200 miles or more to ride in a day thru all three states, with barely a straight stretch to be seen.

Conversely, going North, up around Northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine there is also some really great riding, much of it mountainous- but this is the Appalachians, so tho they do have some height, (2nd highest mountain on the East Coast- Mt Washington in NH) nowhere near the altitude of The Alps, or the various mountain ranges in the Western USA.

One thing about riding here, V riding in EU is there are places where few people live, and you will certainly have full days of riding with the roads almost to yourself. Also: NO (or damn few) speed cameras in the USA! :evil

Cheers to all, my best to Mr & Mrs Krime...
    and also- my apologies for the hijack.

:freaky
  18. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big step!

Not as big as getting married though :wink:

Congrats on the house - both of my kids went through this recently.
  19. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Will do.

This is true. Thanks Michael. :D
  20. motorradrudi

motorradrudi tourguide

Oddometer:
    I've found your RR on Christmasday and spend a lot of time to enjoy it!

What an outstanding RR!!!

:clap:clap:clap

I know the most places from own experience and I must say, that you showed them in wonderful pics and videos!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you very much for sharing them with us!

Best greetings from Germany!
    Rudi