Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krime, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! As Richard mentioned, we just got back from a ride through New England (Vermont and New Hampshire)... Ended up with heat exhaustion/dehydration for the first time in my life, which was NOT a pleasant experience!

We did a trip from home (Toronto) to North Carolina and Tenessee last September which I'm putting together for another full RR. As for other trips, dream rides to Peru and beyond are on hold as of now with a baby on the way. :D
  2. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to that NC/TN story....and very sorry to hear about your heat exhaustion/dehydration. That can be fatal. Glad it wasn't!!!
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTDT - in 2010 crossing Kansas in August in 40+ (C) heat. Took me 3 days to recover. Luckily I was at the IBA International meet, so was scheduled to stop anyway, but...

I now have this rigged. This was on my VStrom, but I have since moved it to my TEx. Takes care of the input issue. Output is addressed separately.

[​IMG]
  4. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR I'll be a copycat within 3 days, the only difference is that we'll hustle down from Sweden on the Fantastic German Roads, migth use the Autozug from Hamburg to Munich.
    I'll be going with my son, we had fun the last time we hit the marvelous Alps.
    The Alps are prettier than Peru, but then again the sheer size and height of the Andes is impressive.
    And yeah ,congrtas on the baby.
  5. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Our little guy is due November. Peru is now more distant than ever!

Thanks, and safe travels on your trip. Hard to believe this trip was only 3 years ago, feels so long ago already. Which reminds me, time to start working on last September's RR to North Carolina before the sleepless nights begin.
  6. boonz

boonz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Krime,

I stumbled on your RR by pure chance but I wanted you to know that to me this is a bucket list dream ride. Absolutely stunning! I only recently started riding but I hope that some day I will be able to do a ride like this. The level of documentation on this RR is phenomenal and I hope you are aware that you're an inspiration to a random young rider :bow

All the best and ride safe!
  7. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:

go early / go often
    see the world!

:thumb
    PFFOG and boonz like this.
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    What Greg said, eh?

And Erik - looks like you're a role model. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :evil
  9. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This made my day. So nice to hear, thank you. As Greg and Michael mentioned, do it while you can. Get some decent saddle time and then start planning as soon as you can. Once you do a trip like this, you'll spend the rest of your riding days chasing the high you get from a ride like this.

Thanks again for the kind words, and looking forward to reading up on your future ride reports one day!
    boonz likes this.
  10. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be lazy, BUT do you still have your routes on GPX? I'm shipping my KTM 1290 SA from Calgary and riding that area for 2 months. Flying into Frankfurt and heading east then south from Prague down someday to Venice. Then I'll head back up to the Dolomites and other ALPS regions. Any advise or help or just anything would be a great help. Thanks in advance!!
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :evil
  12. MrNemobody

MrNemobody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love this thread!

You took lot of beautiful pics of Europe, and of my country. It's really funny to see it behind a stranger eye!

For the French part, you made lot of good choices, and you took some of my favorite roads, but, because you don't tell about it, I must ask: when you take the "Combe Laval" road, did you notice the elephant head? ;)

If you don't, it's really funny, because you take a great picture of it :D

Here is your post:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-alps-and-vercors.984352/page-4#post-24378478
  13. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to hear from a local, and to see people are still coming across this 4 years later! Also happy to hear I took some of the best roads, which doesn't surprise me somehow. ;)

I had no idea of the elephant head and captured it by accident. I've been looking through the photos trying to find it (like Where's Waldo). Is this the shot you're referring too? Did I find it now?

upload_2017-9-18_23-51-45.png
    NSFW likes this.
  14. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah crap, I completely missed this one somehow! Have you done the trip already? I've got the GPX files buried on a hard-drive somewhere but can and will pull them out for you if it's not already too late!
  15. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From an other local : yes, that is the famous elephant head from the Combe Laval road.
  16. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I'll never look at that pic the same again. Will show Megan as well.
  17. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see the elephant head?!!?!?!!! Anybody care to explain where it is at?
  18. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL. took me awhile too. Look to the left of the tunnel opening where the road is – that vertical rock extending down is the trunk of the elephant. You can see the two horizontal eye slits above.

Pretty awesome. ;)
  19. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See it! Thank you, very cool!!
  20. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't know that France is famous for its elephants ?
    There are elephants everywhere but they are very good at camouflage... :-)