Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krime, Jun 7, 2014.

1. MrNemobody

MrNemobody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you do!
    I hope so! ;)
    Krime likes this.
  2. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found this RR. You did a great job with the writing and the photography.

Thank you for making the effort.

Ben.
    Krime likes this.
  3. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here I am, late to the party as usual. Great stuff, well planned and executed. We are planning and this is helping, thanks.
    mike
    Krime likes this.
  4. Vtrrookie

Vtrrookie Look it's that Dutch Guy!!

Oddometer:
    Great report and tremendous pictures! I'm planning a trip to the Vercors in 3 weeks from now and got plenty of inspiration!
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jean Francois at the Hotel Marrionnier in Rencurel just redid his pool. Great place for bikers.
  6. Vtrrookie

Vtrrookie Look it's that Dutch Guy!!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice place. thx for the tip. Maybe in the future, but for now I'm staying at le Camping Moto in Montclar-sur-Gervanne.
  7. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Within a couple of weeks we go to the German Eifel, from there to Motorhotel La Mouche in the Vosges region, then Le Marronnier, Embrun, Bardonecchia, whatever we like depending on the weather, most likely the Dolomites.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  8. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you've enjoyed and are inspired! I look forward to getting on update after your trip – 5 years later and I'm missing this trip more than ever...
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is a great RR. lots of useful info.

thanks.
    Krime likes this.
  10. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This report stands the test of time!, I see you did get the GSA Krime. Wife, Baby House, GSA been a big couple of years. I have been back to Europe 4 times since I first read this report. Still have not been to the french alps much less that crazy road with the elephant rock. I think I will do it with the Pyrenees one day.
    Krime likes this.
  11. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Combe Laval, on the Col de la Machine road. I'll be there in about 5 weeks for a few days. I'll have my Mavic 2 Pro along for the ride - there are a number of roads that I want to get some pics/video of.

If you do make it into France, another absurd road "in the area" is the Lacets de Montvernier.

[​IMG]

The Pyrenees are great - I finally made it down there in 2016 - highly recommend the Hotel Nordic in El Tarter, Andorra. Owned by a motorhead with a classic Rolls Royce in the lobby and bikes all over the place inside. I need a bigger toy budget.

[​IMG]
    Krime, Frey Bentos, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  12. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    LOL were there in 2013, great spot

[​IMG]

Euro 2013
    Krime and MichaelJ like this.
  13. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My fellow ADVers,

It's been awhile since I've logged into these forums. Unfortunately the reason for doing so at this moment is not for the best of reasons. Yesterday morning my father John suffered a major stoke. He lives alone and thankfully had the intuition to call 911 with symptoms before it was too late. He was eventually transported from his local hospital to a specialty hospital to undergo emergency surgery to remove the clot, which was a success but they are still unaware of the extent of his brain damage. I've spent the last day and a half outside the hospital and on or by my phone waiting for updates as we were (understandably) not allowed into the hospital because of the pandemic. 4 hours after his surgery he was showing positive signs of communicating and movement in his paralyzed limbs. Today, a couple hours ago, I heard his heavily slurred voice for the first time as he struggled to get his words out. The nurse has reported that he's gaining some mobility in his leg again, with the ability to clench his right hand.

It's still early and I am trying to remain as optimistic as possible. I pray that he'll be able to recover to as much of his previous self as possible, and back on two wheels – I truly believe he has it in him to make this happen. Riding is something we've shared together since I was 7 years old (for almost 30 years now). The highlight of our riding adventures together was right here with this epic trip now 7 years ago. Nostalgia, and my sentimental state brought me back to re-read this ride report while my kids (yes two now) and Megan (I am the luckiest guy in the world) are soundly asleep upstairs.

Over the years since posting this report, I've had so many people reach out telling me that they have been inspired to partake in similar trips of their own because of this very report. I've felt incredibly honoured to have had that kind of positive impact on someone else's life. As I sit hear tonight reminiscing about these memories that my father and I have talked about for years and years since, my emotions are high... I'm left wondering if I will ever have the opportunity to ride with my father again.

If you've been reading this report (or others here) and never had quite enough of a nudge to do something like this yourself for whatever reason (whether on your own or with a loved one), let this be the post that pushes you over the edge. Life can be shorter than anticipated, and more fragile than we realize. Whatever end state my father is left with, I feel exceptionally grateful to have this memory to always look back on and appreciate.

Erik 50cc Honda.jpg

Love you dad.
    -
  14. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    Sad news
    Hope your dad pulls through in these strange times
    Stay well
    Krime likes this.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Krime. Hang in there and we wish your dad a quick recovery. Having someone in the family inspiring us to ride and being a ride buddy is special.
    Krime likes this.
  16. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the news, wishing your pops a quick recovery. And again thank you for sharing such a special journey.
    Krime likes this.
  17. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tough. Keep your head up!
  18. FromA2B

FromA2B via a winding route

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed this side of the pond!
  19. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Krime, so sorry to read about your Dad suffering a stroke. I join with those above me, and I'm sure with all the inmates, in wishing him a speedy recovery and a return to two wheels. And thank you again, for your wonderful ride report. Yes, it IS inspirational!
  20. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your father Krime. Looks like you had a "best of times" adventure here with John and your lovely wife. John's spirit is part of his grandchildren, no matter what.

Thank you for sharing both reports. Live on.
    PFFOG and MichaelJ like this.