Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krime, Jun 7, 2014.

1. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    How sad to read! Read your RR a while ago and kept it on my watchlist for some years because you described some of my favourite playgrounds so well...

All the best wishes and prayers for your father to recover quick and totally; he was inspiring not to cancel the trip but rely on pain-tolerance and just keep going strong!
    I really hope this kind of inner strength and spirit will make him recover from that stroke!!!

As you wrote - you have got your memories, but with your dad's strength and inspiring attitude he will recover to be able to ride together once again!

Cheers from good old Germany, Jo
    Krime likes this.
  2. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s been almost 11 months now since I’ve posted the news about my dad’s stroke. It’s been just as long since I’ve logged back in to ADV Rider, and wanted to share an update with you all and thank you all for the messages of support that followed.

I thought it was over. 30 years of riding together which started when I was 7, sitting between him and the gas tank of his Honda 185 XL as we rode the local trails at the cottage and then progressed to annual fall rides to the states and this epic adventure to the alps. That rich chapter of my life with dad would surely be ending abruptly in May of last year. Or so I thought.

His 11 months of progress has been remarkable - leaving even the doctors familiar with his case, astounded. Dad’s stubbornness to accept his less than ideal longterm outlook had driven him to push ahead mentally and physically over the past months. When he got released from rehab, social workers advised him to modify his house for accessibility needs, but he wouldn’t have it. He would walk up and down those stairs one way or another on his own power, the way he’d always done. As his speech and mobility improved more and more in what felt like weekly intervals, I remember getting excited about the prospect of him maybe riding again, while at the same time trying to manage expectations. I introduced him to the idea of maybe having to trade in his Vstrom for a more planted 3 wheeled alternative like a Can-Am Spyder - something he immediately dismissed. It needed to be two wheels.

Well on Saturday of this weekend, dad defied all odds and got back on the saddle of his Vstrom again for the first time after almost losing him to that massive stroke 11 months ago. We headed East to Port Perry by the lake, a destination my dad had introduced to me a decade or so ago during a casual weekend ride - just like this one. It was a day I’ll never forget. A day I’ll always be thankful for.

Looking forward to new riding adventures with dad this year and for as many more that we’re gifted with. Thank you to everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers!

0BBF1391-367C-4B63-BE5E-8C31C0432714.jpeg FBC0E19F-7CCA-4EEE-980F-633588A32703.jpeg
    MacNoob, Bunyip1260, Mcahron and 9 others like this.
  3. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    Awesome news! :clap
    Krime likes this.
  4. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    Definitely! :thumb
    Krime likes this.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's difficult to put into words just how happy I am hearing this. Or how ashamed I am that I haven't reached out directly - despite my best intentions.
    Krime likes this.
  6. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Great to hear!!! I hope Meghan and the family is doing well. Good to have your riding partner back.
    Krime likes this.
  7. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Richard. Megan says hi and we hope you and Cecilia are doing well! We’re longing for another upstate New York ride and would love to grab a bite with you guys again after this virus is all over and the border opens up again.
  8. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this Michael! It’s nice to hear from you, and know how things can go! No worries. Hope you are doing well.
  9. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states

We can make that happen.
    Krime likes this.
  10. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    I think this event, you will carry it in your heart forever!:-)
    Krime likes this.
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great news!