Europe, as it happens.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by b4thenite, Jun 5, 2018.

1. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I stayed at a small beach town named Praia da Zambujeira do Mar couple of days.
    I noticed Nepalese establishment in town and learned they are well represented in Portugal, mainly for cheap labor for American and Australian owned mega argri-industries.
    So far it's working out but I can see how it could create social problems.
    Those companies should invest in assimilation of their workers in working environment.
    Bringing only able bodies do not work in long run. Education, family reunion, cultural assimilation is very important if you want sustained labor force. But what do I know....im just a guy riding a motorcycle.
    Nepalese are great people. It will be a shame if we reduce them to mere "cheap labor".
    20190901_192900_HDR.jpg 984204374.jpg
  4. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I traveled north from the beach town. Along the coastal area there are very active development going on. Some area seems to abandoned farming and waiting for the develpers to step in. I venture into some beach area and it was either not possible to gain access or it was already gated for European vacationers with RVs.
    Progress is the Janus. 20190902_111340_HDR.jpg
    Mano and plumer1kt like this.
  5. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Google led me to this boat crossing, except it's not a ferry for vehicles. I had to take a detour and crossed the bay by the toll bridge. Wake up, Google! 20190902_154543_HDR.jpg
    Mano likes this.
  6. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I'm in Lisbon. I found two eateries. One for pho to cure the home sick, the other for local appreciation. Both were fantastic. 20190902_194125_HDR.jpg 20190902_201453_HDR.jpg 20190902_202747_HDR.jpg 20190902_204252_HDR.jpg
    Mano, plumer1kt, NSFW and 1 other person like this.
  7. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    More Lisbon 20190902_202100_HDR.jpg 20190902_213511_HDR.jpg
    Mano and NSFW like this.
  8. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I took a day trip to Arrabida. It's a short ride but the view was incredible. Before I got there I stoped by at the Yamaha dealer and looked at theT7. It's taller than any other bike I rode before, but felt really light. As light as KTM 790. 20190903_112742_HDR.jpg
    Mano likes this.
  9. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Some photos from today's ride. 20190903_120157_HDR.jpg 20190903_140844_HDR.jpg 20190903_141639_HDR.jpg 20190903_133640_HDR.jpg
    Golden955, Mano and plumer1kt like this.
  10. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I developed a routine in Lisbon. In the morning I go ride. I come back to hostel in the afternoon and have a cold beer, shower, rest. I go out and have something to eat, preferably an ethnic dish like pho or kebab. After eating I walk for hours exploring the city.
    Around 9pm I go to the same local Portuguese place where I get grilled fish with white wine. I've been going to the same place three nights straight.
    The man is still rude, but fishes are always perfectly grilled.
    Every night I get different fish. Tonight I had grilled sardines, along with owners rudeness.
    To be honest, I don't think he is rude. Even some Portuguese customers complained about the man. So I know not to take it personally. He is always sweet and smiles to ladies for sure. You know those kind of men. I'm one of them.
    I think he hasn't come to terms with his success yet. Rather than calling him rude I suspect he is somewhat shocked with recent surge of interests from customers from outside of the neighborhood.
    This restaurant is located in what appears to be the last "hood" in Lisbon center.
    It's located in the small alley up in the hill where multi ethnic forms residency.
    Tonight after the meal, I told him I leave Lisbon tomorrow and when I come back I will visit him again. I also told him don't change anything. Even his rudeness adds to the flavor of fish I told him. The man does not speak English. He gives me change without indicating if he understands me. I bow to him and he smiles lttle. 20190903_205646_HDR.jpg
    Honda-50, yokesman, Mano and 2 others like this.
  11. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Some pictures of Lisbon and surrounding area. 20190904_120233_HDR.jpg 20190904_130034_HDR.jpg 20190903_204131_HDR.jpg 20190903_221222_HDR.jpg
    Mano and Drybones like this.
  12. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    More pictures 20190904_193652.jpg 20190903_200141_HDR.jpg 20190903_195833_HDR.jpg 20190903_194939_HDR.jpg
    RedDogAlberta, Mano and Drybones like this.
  13. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I left Lisbon. The hostel I stayed was very nice. But when I got there the first day in Lisbon, the reception told me there were age limit and I'm probably too old.
    The reason I pulled into that hostel was I saw a KTM parked in front of the hostel and it had and probably is the only hostel in entire Lisbon center that had fee parking right front of the reception.
    So when I was told about the age limit I was bummed.
    The receptionist was nice enough to let me leave the bike while I checked out the other hostels near by.
    The Lisbon being the touristy in the center I walked around in my squeaking boots for couple of hours with no avail. My .parking need, vacancy, budget didn't match.
    Finally completely in sweat and loud boots, I remember seeing no age limitation on my reservation app. So I checked into my app and booked a bed in the hostel of the greatest motorcycle parking.
    BAM I got the bed. So walked back to the hostel where my bike is parked.
    I was very careful not to antagonize the receptionist for I might not be able to get a bed or be denied for the parking spot.
    After huffing and puffing he granted a bed. He called me " sneaky Kim". Usually I would kicked his ass and be arrested but the great free parking spot was on the line here.
    I gave him the cowardisest smile I can muster and told him pathetically I just want to rest after hard day of riding.
    From than on everything was peach as young people would say it.
    At that time an Asian dude walked in and going through the check in process. The receptionist was telling the Asian dude about the house rules.
    "Be sure to keep your shirts all the time, we get complains from female guests".
    I looked at the Asian dude, he looked at me, I shrugged.
    I got the bed space and my bike was in safe spot, free of charge.
    Like I said the hostel was great ; Clean facility, great free breakfast, amazing location, etc.
    Mano likes this.
  14. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Right now I'm at Beja. I booked a bed in the hostel. Because the high season is over I got the hostel all by myself and my bike is parked in the gated parking lot for no additional charge.
    I had grilled mackerel and two full glasses of wine for 6.50 E.
    And I had a revealation. I'm stalling. I'm pretending to enjoy playing a tourist. I'm not a tourist. I never been one and I will never be one.
    But because of the fear of unknown I crawled into a safe hole where I can hide and be among many.
    Tomorrow I'm going back to Sevila. From than on, I'll go to Tarifa and try to catch a ferry to Morocco.
    Good bye Europe for now, here I come Africa. Wish me luck. 20190905_205812_HDR.jpg
    enduro0125, Honda-50, Mano and 4 others like this.
  15. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    I went to Tarifa to catch a ferry ride to Tangier, Maroc.
    On the way it got really windy. Cross wind made me lean into the direction so severe passing cars glanced me with sympathetic looks.
    I almost quit but I kept going, scoring myself "is that what you want, huh!"
    I felt some force was pulling me back from crossing the Gibraltar.
    But I got to the Tarifa that afternoon.
    I went to the port and got a one way ticket for 73E. Not bad. 20190907_164113_HDR.jpg 20190907_163710_HDR.jpg
  16. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Last time I was this giddy getting on a ferry was sometime ago.
    There were a German with AT Adventure and group of Spanish riders with GSs. 20190907_175659_HDR.jpg 20190907_182855_HDR.jpg
    Mano likes this.
  17. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    And there it was....the Africa. 20190907_195607_HDR.jpg 20190907_192532_HDR.jpg 20190907_195027_HDR.jpg 20190907_222718_HDR.jpg
    Mano, plumer1kt and TheBritAbroad like this.
  18. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Getting out of Marocan port was smooth and efficient.
    Official collected passport and registration and few minutes later gave us documents back. I'm in.
    So much worries for nothing as usual. One thing that hold us back with most tenacity is our own ignorance.
    However, as soon as I got out of the port, real challenge begun. Port of Tangier is well developed city. Marocan drivers are very well behaved. They move along quite well without much problems. They yield well and stops for pedestrians.
    At least that's the impression I got from the beach front boulevard.
    Things got quite crazy as I try to navigate to the hostel.
    First of all, Google nav app don't work. And as you enter a small street some random guy will ask and try to help you. It's worse than Guatemalan border helpers.
    I was small alley way and figured it's too small to drive in but I was wrong. If you can fit you may go.
    One dude kept asking me "hotel? Name hotel". I kept ignoring and tried to navigate the maze like alley. But there he was running side by me sometimes front of me. He wants to follow him as if he know where im going, he couldn't have, I didn't tell him. He was relentless.
    One time facing steps just few steps away from the hostel, his colleague joined us. One youngster joined and said "Africans good people". As if I have doubts.
    I finally arrived in front of the hostel and I finally took good look at the running Marocan.
    He is a thin man no more than 30 but looked much older because his mistreated dental. He has cut scar from his left mouth to almost to the left ear. It was a clean slash cut, well healed.
    Maybe he talked. Sign of jail house snitch all over the world.
    His friend kept saying "good man", indicating the guy.
    His name Abdul Salam or Ib Salam, something. I thanked Abdul Salam. He lingered around the hostel door. When I went back to the bike he showed up again, I thanked him again.
    After shower I took a stroll and Abdul peeked his head out from a cafe. "Eat? Wanna restaurant?". I laughed. His relentless was tragically comical. Again some bully looking guy vouched for him. "Goid guy".
    I thanked him again and walked away.
    I found a cafe and went up the terrace. Cross the street from the terrace where I'm sipping mint tea with Marocan sweets was a local cafe full of men watching football highlights.
    Finally I'm watching instead of being watched. It felt clandestinely triumphant. 20190907_224005_HDR.jpg
  19. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Next I just wanted to be out of Tangier and it's madness.
    It's much cooler here in Tangier than Spain. It rained. Who knew?
    So while I putting on raingear at a bus stop, this guy wanted take photo with my bike, and with me, and his friend joined with two baby girls we all took pictures.
    Very friendly and welcoming bunch.
    Soon all the bad thoughts I had disappeared. It felt really good riding in rain in Morocco. I had tea break and saw Spaniels on GS pass by.
    Rain kept coming although lightly. The road was very slippery. I had to check myself couple of times passing heavily loaded trucks.
    I arrived in Chefchaoen and checked in. Only short distance from Tangier but a world apart from couple of days ago. What an experience. 20190908_110551_HDR.jpg 20190908_115524_HDR.jpg 20190908_151226_HDR.jpg
    DavidM1, Mano, yamalama and 1 other person like this.
  20. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Later I had my first tagine. Also these two French riders show up. They rode up from Dakar. 20190908_190751_HDR.jpg
    View attachment 1880444