Everyone keeps asking for a middle weight, twin cylinder, adventure bike...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ParleG, Aug 18, 2016.

1. CatBehemoth

CatBehemoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It isn't about chain pros, it' about shaft cons - more weight and less power.
  2. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always look for a Honda XLV-750R (earliest version of the Africa Twin, 1983-86). We're past the 20-year mark, so you could import one, or buy one of several that have already migrated here. 750cc, V2 (so its close), shaft drive, carbs, 484 lbs. wet. There is a thread on this excellent motorcycle here on AdvRider.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Or start with a V7 Scrambler.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may have been said already, but the Versys X 300 looks like a very promising travel enduro. I will have to big bore a CRF250L Rally due to certain situations in my life.
  5. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    Since I could not buy one I built one. 375 pounds and 650cc twin. Not perfect but I really wanted a V-Twin 20160313_162052.jpg
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    You will easily buy 2 of the Kawasaki 300 or the Honda 500 twins for less than the price of a base 701 here.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, and that's before you start buying all the parts to convert it from a big enduro to an adventure bike... except those parts don't exist.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    They exist in Australia already, full kit. Look in the Australia forums and you will see photos and a write up.
  10. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just €500 and a winter work in the shed. A parralel twin 500cc, around 410 pounds. It is not as comfy as my '13 F800GS, but lots of fun to drive in the dirt.

[​IMG]

So, when I can build a bike like this (with my four feet in stead of two left hands), why can't Kawasaki?
    Baldyman1 likes this.
  11. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it really as smooth as a twin? None of the husky dealers have demo bikes here so it is a bit hard to get a ride on one! I would guess there is no reason a single couldn't be smooth if it had enough counter weights on the crankshaft.
  12. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I think the laws of physics are immutable; a single is unlikely to be as smooth as a twin. I also think it depends on which twin you're talking about.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Duke 690 got the same motor a year earlier (for 2016) if you can get a ride on one of those.

Now, is it as smooth as a twin? I doubt it. On the other hand, the Cycle World review offhandedly made the claim that it is:

"We started off on the highway, which I suspected might be painful, but I was wrong—the single purrs as smoothly as a multi."

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/12/11/2016-ktm-690-duke-naked-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos

I haven't tried to get a ride on a '17 Husky 701 myself. For what it would cost to get one and add tanks, I don't want to know.
  14. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Well my next ride with my mate will be me on the Versys 650 and him on his 690. So I should be able to compare vibes back to back if he lets me. Rode his 690 last week for a few kms on fast gravel roads and I don't recall it having any more vibrations that my 650 (which I hadn't ridden for a week or so). On lower revs around bitumen roads might be a different story, but the 690 was a pretty fine feeling motor (especially above 5000 RPM).
  15. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    I can ride my XR 650 R all day on gravel roads, you don't notice the vibes on gravel roads. But when I get on the blacktop and drone along that's when the vibrations of a single become apparent.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Don't see that happening.
    Only 1200+ cc heavy beast owners expect shafts as they use their bikes mostly as long distance street tourers. & thus the mfg build to suit them.

700-1000cc & KTM beast owners want the performance and versatility of a chain.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sure, just like any thumper, it's happiest in dirt and so are the owners.

The concept of light multi-cyl is happiness on the paved to all while working well in the dirt.

I do think we will see smoother and smoother balanced FI thumpers in the future. The TR650 is very much so and the new Duke thumper is said to be so. We haven't seen Japan Inc work their modern big-bore magic yet here, but I suspect when they do it will be.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  18. Normallo

Normallo Dirt Convert

Oddometer:
    I think I found the perfect bike at my local dealer. Lots of power, easy to pick up when it falls, manageable seat height. . . :lol3
    panigale.jpeg
    Viking84 likes this.
  19. BushX

BushX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. The enduro Hawk! Love it. Nice work.
  20. IKT

IKT A High Maintenance Manchild

Oddometer:
    165kg - 363lb
    A friend build it and it is going on a diet for 5-6ks (10-12lb) right now.

[​IMG]