Everyone keeps asking for a middle weight, twin cylinder, adventure bike...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ParleG, Aug 18, 2016.

1. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    That KTMAHA is freakin' brilliant!
  2. IKT

IKT A High Maintenance Manchild

Oddometer:
    He is riding that everywhere with 300ties and 450ties and his new project is a custom frame rally replica with 4-cylinder 750 YZF engine..
  3. JDG5475

JDG5475 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey man so far everything is going well with the bike, went to leave you some love on the page in the flea market but that was long and gone. If you ever need any references on here let me know.

Side note- I didn't know you were running mosko moto panniers, how'd you like them, still got them?
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  4. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Opinions are like assholes ....everybody has one .....bike comparisons and "dream bikes" are equal to the ongoing Bshite on the "Best engine oil" threads.... what is good here are the photos of the enthusiasts that design and build/customize their own rig from a proven manufacturers model... that kind of effort beats all the whining over existing stock models from A to Z or Bim to Urals.
    joe a and plumer1kt like this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    A couple of ways to skin this cat from the bike builder POV.

Take the current AT in a manual ABS, rip the engine out and put in the current 500 twin engine, should scale out at 430 pounds ready to ride. I couldn't find an engine weight for the 1000, but I'd estimate it at 180 pounds or so. Money being no object sort of project.

Another taller bike for us tall people would be the 640 Adventure and quick number crunching says it'd gain about 20 pounds with a 500 twin swap..be around 430 pounds with 7 gallons of fuel ready to ride, but it would cure 100 pounds of vibration.

We've seen a couple of guys do a fantastic swap of the 500 twin into the 250L chassis, but it's a small frame bike with a tall seat height, it does fall into your 350 pound range though.

I think I could source other parts and build a bike around the 500 twin Honda engine and get into the 380 pound range ready to ride with a full size bike. The old late 70's CB550 chassis is a great starting point, it could be built for the tall guys with CR500 suspension or scrambler style down low for you shorties.
    John Ashman likes this.
  6. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, the AT is kind a no go because I'd bet that the AT engine is only about 30-35lbs more than the 116lb CB500X engine. Michael's project is obviously the better way to go if you have the donors and the time. What a magnificent idea and execution. i wouldn't have jacked it up that high, but hey, if you've got the legs. Shorter bikes are more maneuverable though. I rode a 38" seat height bike and it was like riding on stilts. It just wasn't easy to turn or maneuver, but it could go very fast in a straight line.

I was thinking something like a Tenere 250 and trying to fit a 321 engine or something in there. But....I think things are happening pretty fast now. By the time I could make a over priced time sucking running prototype, I think someone will have done what is needed. The G310GS, the V-Strom 250, the Versys X 300, and the CRF Rally are all fantastic bikes that for the first time shoot low instead of shooting above the target. Even the Himalayan is a great idea, though the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I'm still praying for a Tiger Cub XC or a 490 Adventure though. But I also think a 350cc Yamaha Tenere is going to happen by 2018. It's getting there.
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Finding an old SL350 would be awesome. Just upgrade the hell out of the suspension and get a bigger tank on it.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Going off memory of what samtech told me, 107 pounds on the 500 engine. Had to just guess on the AT power plant, old school XS650 P-twin is 175 pounds, it could be lighter than that, but it doesn't look it.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

That's the sweet spot to me too, around 500 cc. That makes it a peppy bike for little guys and ok for the big guys.
    John Ashman likes this.
  10. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. gehart

gehart Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    absolutely
  12. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    A Honda 650 V-twin liquid cooled engine is less than 150lbs. About 125 or 130, I think. The Honda figure for the 500 engine is 116 according to one magazine.
  13. Shastamark

Shastamark n00b

Oddometer:
    I just rode my 2015 kawasaki versys 650 4000 miles to Cabo san Lucas and back it it did an awesome job!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Hvymax likes this.
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Should have stopped for a beer on the way.
  15. Shastamark

Shastamark n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be back next October...where are you located? 20161104_121924.jpg

16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    In La Paz
  17. Shastamark

Shastamark n00b

Oddometer:
    La paz is my favorite city in baja....I will definitely be back there next october

18. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The KLE is underrated as an adventure-capable machine. Great twin. If it had a 19” front...
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  19. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW makes a 310 GS.
  20. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As people may have seen, the Tenere 700 is finally out (well, in Europe at least; should be in US in 2020). Seems like a bunch of people earlier in the thread, a couple years ago, had hoped this bike would fit the bill. Sadly, the production bike weighs in at ~450lb wet. Pity. The search for a light, modern, twin continues. Where's that 2020 SL350 Honda?