Everyone keeps asking for a middle weight, twin cylinder, adventure bike...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ParleG, Aug 18, 2016.

1. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    450 pounds ain't all that bad...Now if it had a big comfortable tractor seat, gearing AND gas mileage more like the MT-07, it might be an option for fat old men like me. Haven't thrown a leg over it yet, but as I read about the T7, it's too heavy for the OFF road guys and not comfortable enough to please the ON road folks. It's neither fish nor fowl.

The Perfect Middle Weight? (with lowering kit, aftermarket seat and new sprockets?) We shall see...
  2. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This, as they say, is "the problem." By 'this' I mean ridiculous expectations.

A dual-purpose bike that has to be able to carry a passenger and/or a full complement of luggage weighing in at 450lbs wet is hardly unreasonable. It's not a CR250 ffs. Also, the SL350 weighed barely any less than the 450 you mention for the Tenere. I know (I just looked) that the published weight was 380 or so, but that is utter fiction. If Yamaha built the Tenere to be, say, 360 pounds wet it wouldn't be able to carry anything, and it would cost $25,000, and everyone would complain about that.
    neanderthal likes this.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    when the t7-tenere 700 thread first started, we were asking for a 400 lb bike, see ktm790. But this Is Japan we are talking about and if it isnt a sportbike, they built a 350lb R1 years ago . Why not a 400 lb Adv bike.? 4.2 gal tank?
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thing is pretty cool.Last dirt bike mag did a write up on it. 20190722_134418.jpg
    DGR likes this.
  5. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The Husky sure is a disappointment. Could have been a lot cooler. That seat is ridiculous.

Take the CB500X engine, drop it into a beefy dirt bike frame/suspension setup. Then make the seat/subframe swappable with extra options. 350lb enduro version. 400lb ADV version.

Problems solved.
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got to ride a Honda cb500x, the engine is a pig IMO. Very lackluster. Maybe in a lighter bike it would be much better and they could open it up some and let it spin up some more.
    kvango likes this.
  7. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Take one out for a testride, you'll be surprised!
  8. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    The tested wet weight of the 790 adv is just under 470lbs. Basically same as 650 vstrom. I would n't use either as a lightweight reference. The versys x 300 is light at sub 400, but could use that 400 engine tossed in.

Greg
    Howlinsage likes this.