Everything 9*0 Racing Events/Results/Banter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by oldfuddy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I searched but did not find a specific thread on everything racing. A search of "racing" in this forum provided 9 pages of 167 varied posts in several different threads. As such, throwing out a racing specific thread to the populace to mull over.... (if there is one already please let me know and we can let this one wither away or the mods can delete it).

Folks have been racing these bikes since the first one rolled off the assembly line and there's some really good LC8 racing stuff squirreled away, but you gotta get your google-foo on and search here and go look for it and weed through the chaff. Lately there appears to be a resurgence of folks racing their 9*0's and figured it might be time to have this info collectively in one place to get your racing news/updates/events/bikes/etc..

This thread would ONLY have RACING stuff. Either a Race coming up, one you've entered, the results, lessons learned, race prep, links to a past race thread, etc. If its 9*0 racing, it's here. If it's changing your oil, that don't go here. If it's a nice picture or video of you and your significant other up in the mountains, that don't go here. If it's you ripping past an HP2 or Triumph or roosting a smoker during a race or sitting at the gate waiting for the flag or gate to drop, that would go here. If its info about an upcoming race or specific prep, that would go here... etc.

Although any race entered could/would be discussed here regardless of class, below are some events in the USA I'm aware of that not only allow big bikes, but they specifically have a class for our bikes to run against similar sized bikes head-to-head.

1. WA: 24-hrs of Starvation Ridge (Team Heavyweights won their class last year).
    2. GA: Highland Park Resort (multiple scrambles each year)
    3. SC: Sandblast Rally (NASA Rally Sport Series)

Post up if you have info on others.

What say the collective audience? Should we start a centralized 9*0 Racing thread? I've got really thick skin, so no harm and no foul if it doesn't mature.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  2. Rikimoto

Rikimoto Adventure Time!

Oddometer:
    The Desert 100 in Odessa WA has an Adventure Class that myself and others here have raced our LC8's at. http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

Edit: Fantastic thread idea! I've loved racing my 990 (it's actually the only racing I've done) and love seeing others do it too.

I know some people enter open classes but it would be cool if there were more big bike classes.
  3. turdfergeson

turdfergeson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Riki great thread idea
    As resident of the whales vagina, I'd love to see some competitive desert events for the LC8 hooligans.
    Thanks for staring the conversation Fuddy!
  4. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    +1 for me. Small correction fuddy, Sandblast is in SC.
  5. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the catch. Fixed. First post will be a living post and updated as race events are brought up so folks don't have to search the whole thread for an event.
  6. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    the next Highland Park hare scramble is April 3rd. I guess i'll be at March Moto Madness but just thought I'd throw it out there.. ADV class (650+cc tagged bikes).
  7. coolrunnings

coolrunnings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brechfa rally this coming weekend in Wales, there are 2 990s and 2 1190s on the entry list. I'll report back on how it goes :)
    oldfuddy likes this.
  9. turdfergeson

turdfergeson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Baja Rally seems like a cool format, just too rich for my blood.
  10. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Brechfa Rally pictures... Can't embed the pics, but here are links to the multi-cylinder KTMs :)

Me on 950 Adv: http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h74696125
    http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h73da243a

990 Adv: http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h76d5d89b
    http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h785bbb97

1190 Adv: http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h7a1f3494
    http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p496775915/h725fd5ad#h7edbafbd

Edit - just uploading video to YouTube now. Here's footage taken from my bike while I'm following the chap on the 1190 (wasn't trying to pass him, just to stay close for dramatic video :D ). Later on, the 990 catches us up and I waved him past to get him on video too. All good fun and nice that there were 3 KTM twins running consecutive numbers :)

11. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Parts 1, 3 and 4 are now on YouTube also.

05magmn likes this.
  12. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some oldies...

ThirdUncle, bemiiten and 05magmn like this.
  13. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    When you guys race your big bikes do you do it in a big bike class or do you run with the little guys?

I've done one race in an ADV class (650cc or bigger and street legal) and one in Open C.
  14. Rikimoto

Rikimoto Adventure Time!

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed that I understood you're from San Diego pretty quickly...

Ok RACE PREP question:

The Desert 100 is in just over a week and I have been super excited to race the 990 in it like I have the last 2 years. The bike is completely sorted with new tires and is ready to go. Unfortunately I've had a bad go of training over the last few weeks, including a few minor spills, flats, and the bad one, adding a big dent to the rim. I have a nice new wheel on it's way from Woody's, but there's a good chance it won't arrive in time. So here's the question: do I run the wheel pictured below in a desert race, or am I risking a catastrophic failure of wheel/tire at race speeds which could end up in a loooooong walk, if I can still walk?

I have mentally prepared to ride my 450 instead, but I'm not as comfortable on that bike (I just got it a couple months ago) and I'm more than a little disappointed I can't ride the pig.

You can see the tire bead pretty clearly when it's mounted (no pic of that atm).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the rim isn't cracked yet, I've taken thick leather on both sides where its bowing out on a dirt star and used a large crescent wrench to bend it back. I then smacked it a few times with a sand filled plastic mallet. Never got it right and didn't go so far back to crack it. But the bead looked better. I ran it until I got one from woody. Was always on my mind though.
  16. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No ADV classes here in Southern AZ... You run against smokers/thumpers and some open classes are just that, open (A-C). But I'm hoping to remedy that this fall with an inaugural race for the big bikes. Haven't decided in cc's yet. Seems most ADV classes are 650cc and up. Or 701cc and up, which eliminates the BRP.
  17. Rikimoto

Rikimoto Adventure Time!

Oddometer:
    I think I'd be a bit more confident in a dirt star given their reputation for being stronger is a bit better, rather than the Adventure rim which I know some people have referred to as "butter". I'll have a think/look hard for cracks and make a last minute decision on it.

I guess it depends on how you classify "ADV" bike. Maybe not sporting to run against KLRs, but F650GS thumpers entered Dakar - 652+cc could work. Or you can also say 649cc and FACTORY street legal, which I don't think the BRP was. 701cc rules out the 690 enduro (both engine versions) which kind of leaves just the BMW and KTM twins (and the odd DR BIG).
  18. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I think 649cc and up and factory street legal would be good. There are still a couple problems though. The XRL and the 690 would have a pretty big advantage over the multi cylinder bikes. problem is there are very few of us, KTM riders, who are willing to push the big bikes in a race and even fewer BMW riders. That's why I ran in open C my second time, there was only 3 other people in the ADV class and I ended up lapping one of them and almost another if I hadn't gotten a flat on the start of the last of 4 laps. Racing in that class would have been a hollow victory.
  19. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me in the SW I'd be happy with 649 and up to start a class with as to be honest, it's tough competing these big bikes against 20 year olds or former full time racers on ~200lb smokers and YZ450's. Let alone dangerous when head-to-head.
  20. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I can easily pass people on my 300 but when I come up on people with my 950 they need to get out of the WAY, like two trails over for me to bring the monster truck by. Getting passed is about the same though.