Everything 9*0 Racing Events/Results/Banter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by oldfuddy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do realize if you want your old #1 plate back, you'll have to take it from me?...but you'll have to wait a full year to do it though. In the mean time i'll take full advantage of it. I was thinking about looping a gold chain though it and turning it into an Flavor Flav esque necklace? I figure this just might be the perfect aphrodisiac to attract the fairer sex. But seriously Lee, winning that trophy was pretty cool, but when you came over and handed me your #1 plate, that was WAY better than that old trophy! Much respect for that.

I prerode the first couple miles of the course start about 10 to 12 times on Saturday to find some good lines. I also found some plan B, C and D lines as well. On the race day Sunday, the big cannon went off for the "Le Mans" style start. Crazy Alvin went out like a rocket when he saw all that smoke come out of that cannon. I snuck in a few bikes (or so) behind him. I had a clean line all the way to the two "hole shot" flags that were on top of the gravel hill. I ended up taking my plan D route after the gravel hill so I missed most all of the whoop section. That put me in great postioning for hole rest of the race. From the start to mile 25 i kept pretty good focus (so good, that i didn't even see you off to the side of the trail), and rode just a little past my ability (which i think is about perfect for when you're still fresh). After pushing it for that long, the handlebars got crossed about 5 different times. I didn't want to go down because i didn't want to waste valuable life energy points on having to pick the bike back up, so i slowed it down a little and started to pace myself from mile 25 to about mile 37. I got a little nauseous at about mile 35 and thought i was going to puke in my helmet. My second thought was that it would be kinda cool to say that i puked in my helmet while racing. My third thought was that it might not be as cool as i first thought to puke in my helmet while racing. My fourth thought was how to utilize puke against the other racers. Maybe i could somehow puke at them, and it would slow them down? By the time i conceived a viable puke plan, my nausea went away...probably the best thing for all parties who would be involved. Somewhere around mile 37 there was a dry riverbed wash of hundreds of large round rocks. Luckily i remembered that part of the course from previous years, and i skirted that whole area completely. There were a fair amount of riders caught in that engergy sucking trap. From about mile 42 to the finish, i started recognizing the course. I found new energy, and started riding MUCH faster. I passed about 10 other racers with about 3 miles to go. Once i saw the pit area, i knew that the finish couldn't be more than a 1.5 miles away. Since i prerode that exact area many times the day before, i knew where the smoothest lines were...plus since there's hundreds of people lining the pit area cheering, the only way to thank them was by giving the throttle more of a twist. I could now see that the finish shute was about 800 meters away. There was about 4-5 "smaller" bikes off to my left, so i upshifted into 4th and opened up the throttle...lots. I absolutley went by all those bikes that were to my left. They were probably going 50-55mph...i was probably hit 80mph+...they didn't have a chance. It turned out that the last guy i pasted right before the finish, he and i were dicing it up for the whole last half of the race.

During the whole race, i had no idea what place i was in for the adventure class. I just knew that i didn't see anyone pass me (that course is so crazy that it's totally possible to get passed by an "Adv" bike and not know it. Keep in mind, the way the rules are written for the Desert 100 race, the KTM 690 and Husky 701 enduro bikes can enter as "adventure" bikes because they're over 652cc. So far, no little "enduro" bikes have ever won the adventure bike class, but they are getting closer...). I just knew that i kept needing to ride faster and smarter where is counted, and conserve energy where i could. I think i only got to sit down for about 5 minutes for that 2 hours and 38 minutes. I think i dumped the bike bike only twice during the whole race? Overall, i had a really good time at the event. The course was challenging and fun. All the guys i camped with (@havoc1, @alvincullumyork, @Camel ADV) are super rad. And a extra special thanks to Cory for helping me dial in my suspension clickers! Today all of my muscles are VERY sore. It's taking me a while to clean all the camping and riding gear out of my moto-van. I'm not looking forwards to pulling the starter cord on the pressure washer to wash off my bike. I suppose there is no need to clean out my moto-van right away...i told my employer last week that i need to take Thursday though Monday off to do the Desert 100, so he told me to remove all my tools from the jobsite and submit the rest of my hours for my last paycheck. I think i made the responisible choice. In fact, since i have no job now, one of my Canadian friends is coming in from Vancouver Island (to Portland, Or), and we're going to ride our BMX's around tomorrow, and probably hit up 7-11 for old times sake! Hopefully they still have a Nintendo Excitebike arcade machine. Braap!
    snarf, Jeremy K, gearheadE30 and 14 others like this.
  2. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Joan?, who the heck is Joan?...They mispelled john somehow..Well, it is 2019 so i can see how that can happen. I guess Joan can be my new non-binary pseudonym race identity? I should be easy to spot at any event because of my exterior overies (when missing the proper attire) and an adams apple. I will also create a very loud vocal protest if i can't find a clean urinal in a women's bathroom that i can use.

Ok, my rant is over.
  3. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plan on it!!!

I was happy to give it to a friend! you earned it this year!!!

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Nice win Joan. You really kicked ass!
  5. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was bummed to hear you didn't make it either! You weren't to far behind @Whodatschrome when you went past me!
  7. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a good start but generally wasn’t riding well. I picked a bunch of bad lines then ripped my right peg and brake pedal off on an embedded rock at Mile 21. Will be back next year.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Co
    Congrats - my last name is misspelled as well, nothing you can do - every year they make the same mistake...

great write up and I learned a lot from it - almost makes me feel I could shave the 10 minutes and beat you if I would use some of your tactics @Whodatschrome

For me I could use better rear tire - the first 5 miles and the pit row was very slippery, almost laid down multiple times, thus had to slow down significantly. I also could not feel my hands after mile 10, so I started to sit down and take it more easy, took about 15 miles to get better.
    No drop downs or slow downs on hill climbs this year, selecting those lines I was close to perfect, had couple of stall in the rocks near the river but that did not took much time at all.
    I too caught a 2nd wind about 4 miles from the finish and was finally using something else than 1st or 2nd gear and sped up A LOT.
    For me it is my physical shape - after the injury last August I only concentrated on getting back to walking. https://advrider.com/f/threads/laid-her-down-gently-i-got-unlucky-lisfranc-dislocation.1338725/ and you could tell - I was pushing my body to its limit. The broken wrist started to hurt around mile 20 and I had to sit down every few minutes from about mile 18. I think that slowed me down a lot. If i was able to stand and ride the whoops at higher speed, I could have gotten a better chance for the 1st...

But I am extremely happy - 4 years ago the D100 that was my first race on motorcycle - EVER! And I did finish on BMW Xcountry (dead last, but finished). Now I took the 2nd with my eye on the top spot if I can exercise and practice whoops a bit more.

great seeing all of you out there - good luck and be safe!
  9. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finished my report about the Tuareg Rally 2019 (it starts somewhere halfway page 2)

Wheely day 5.jpg
  10. Wonkyconk

Wonkyconk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thread's been quiet for a while ... I've been out of action but last weekend I got back on the bike for the first time in 2 months to do the Ryedale Rally in Yorkshire. Not quite as gnarly as some of the stuff posted above, but here's a video of a lap on the 2nd day. What I took from this event is that I desperately need to get my forks sorted out, the bike was all over the place on the rough stuff.

12. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  13. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Here's my friend Lee Salt starting the special test at the Hafren rally in Wales yesterday, on his slimmed-down 950. More videos to follow, when I have time :)

15. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Two more videos from the Hafren! I thought I was going quite well, really enjoyed the laps, but there were a few guys on LC8s faster than me. Which is great - it's very cool to get new people competing, the UK big bike rally scene has been quiet for too long!

leexc, Wonkyconk, outbacktm and 2 others like this.
  16. Wonkyconk

Wonkyconk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a nice surprise to see so many lc8's at the hafren, I was on an enduro bike this year but I think I'll do it on the 950 again next year.
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    You UK guys should crate up your bikes and come out to California at the end of November. One of the greatest Dual Sports events takes place every year called LAB2V (Los Angeles to Barstow to Las Vegas). Some of the best Mojave Desert riding you can do over 2 days.
  18. leexc

leexc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes good to see more multi cylinder bikes out for this event, Shame Burt dropped the Big bike Rally Challenge.
  19. leexc

leexc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be good, how do you navigate? Arrows, Road book or GPS? Are there bikes to hire?
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    LAB2V is navigated by roll chart and GPS. Pretty sure there are bike rental options out of Las Vegas. I do know of a person in San Diego with a 950 Super Enduro that does daily rentals.