Everything 9*0 Racing Events/Results/Banter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by oldfuddy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking about taking my 950A down there (from near Portland,Oregon), but the endless sand washes has me a bit concerned (since I’ve never done sand on my 950). I suppose I could take the chicken routes, but taking the chicken route just isn’t my thing. The last 2 years I’ve done it on my 525. There were a group of guys on the big KTM twins that were representing though! Maybe the year after this one?...I need to get my suspension less scary before I go joyriding again out in the desert.
  2. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found riding sand not bad after going to a 1.6 front and a 3.5 rear. You tend to do lots of throttle steering and weighted foot steering in sand and the big girl isn't bad.... Drive angry.
    Whodatschrome and Mofo Flake like this.
  3. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    The first 2 years I did the ride it was on a BMW GS Adventure. The last several years have been easy on the 500 exc.

Several years ago one of the inmates here from Nor Cal did all the hardways 2 up on his 950 ... legendary

I’ll be on my Super Enduro this year
    Whodatschrome and outbacktm like this.
  4. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Not to get too off topic (feel free to DM if anyone has any leads) but myself and 1 (maybe 2) friends are going to be in Vegas in mid January. I checked into renting a couple of bikes and wanted to go ride at Dumont. Couldn't find anything that might work in the dunes. If anyone has any leads of would like to rent us a couple of off road bikes let me know. I haven't checked with Jimmy Lewis yet but that was going to be my next option.

There was the Highland Park Zombie Hare Scramble today (outside of Atlanta GA, USA) with an ADV class. I have family plans, but will keep an eye on the results to see if any ADV bikes showed up.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found Craig at the GNCC Ironman race yesterday! I wimped out and rode the 450, but he somehow managed to knock out a lap on one of the sloppiest, muddiest courses we've had recently. He even looks pretty clean after all the carnage of a race with 634 riders! Obviously I was in much more of a hurry to get out of my gear - there's a beer hiding behind the bike :beer

DSC_2616[1].JPG

Attached Files:

6. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Seriously impressive @cjracer. I've looked at GNCCs around here and decided I'm not man enough to do them on the bike big. Kudos!
  7. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is one clarty bike! :beer
  8. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grab your 950/990s and head to the desert!
    [​IMG]
    We had a little 24 hr this last weekend not much to talk about on our side, but still had a great time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SpeedyR, outbacktm, Dusty and 6 others like this.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completely forgot about that the 24 hour was coming up. I'm guessing weather conditions were pretty darn good this year. And only three bikes on the team?...if so, i'm betting you guys didn't get a whole lot of sleep!
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  10. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    No team, we both Ironman entries this year, and failed horribly. suspension issues on Wes's bike, Body issues with myself, looks like i'll be going under the knife. Getting old sucks :)
  11. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Ah, that's too bad. What happened to Wes's suspension?
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Did some LAB2V route proofing today, this years course is very very BIG BIKE friendly. Rode the Super Enduro and had a blast!

Come out and enjoy some great riding Thanksgiving weekend that ends in Vegas
  13. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, don't make it too easy for everyone. Before you know it you'll have GS's out there loaded down with two aluminum panniers mounted (just what in the heck is inside of them anyhow?) on each side of their Tourtech rack systems...and oops, there here goes the neighborhood.
  14. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Haha ... me and my buddy almost 10 years ago ... rode from Huntington Beach to Palmdale start, rode both days of the event and rode home.

[​IMG]
    Dusty and Whodatschrome like this.
  15. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Its a tough task to ask a 500 lb plus bike to be a Dirt bike, even with the very best products or services things can happen. What happened? I really dont know. lost front dampening. Luckily we use a great tuner who will get it taken care of quickly.
    gearheadE30 and alvincullumyork like this.
  16. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Yep, I use the same guy. :beer no doubt these things are hard on suspension. I just got mine back after bending shims and breaking rebound springs, and last time around I had a blown up hydro stop/spring guide. Price to pay for ripping on these badass machines I suppose.

Hope you heal up; always easier to put a bike under the knife than going under it yourself.
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's been well documented on your LAB2V ride...

There you are amped up leaving Palmdale Supercycles Friday morning...
    [​IMG]

Ah yes, i just found a picture of you two guys with your helmets off while enjoying an intimate moment around the campfire. Somewheres in the palm desert?
    [​IMG]

Here's another one you guys just coming back into Vegas. You can just barely make out the Luxor Pyramid in the distance!
    upload_2019-11-7_20-18-32.jpeg
  18. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    @bigtodd having a disagreement with another rider at a checkpoint

[​IMG]

Ok this is getting out of hand.
  19. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Just looking back at some photos from the Isle of Man rally in September ... full set here if you wanna browse https://www.facebook.com/pg/iomsportsdesk/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2397131610528648

Here's one of me - that's the expression of a man whose bike won't go in a f*cking straight line on that mud
    [​IMG]

And here's me absolutely bricking it on a ramp that looked a lot steeper from where I was sitting
    [​IMG]

And just for comparison, here's David Knight (yes that one) on that same ramp

[​IMG]

If you ever get the chance, go ride the IoM, it's fantastic. But racing there is hard, the terrain is relentless!
  20. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Shaun Atkinson on his super enduro:

[​IMG]