Everything 9*0 Racing Events/Results/Banter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by oldfuddy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:

Nice photos. One of these days I'll get to the IOM for the TT races before they are gone. The riding looks good off road and if it breeds folks like Knight that's gotta be something. I've met him before and watched him race a few GNCC and WEC rounds in the US, he makes things look ridiculously easy. Glad to see he's still riding, kinda dropped off the face of the earth or at least here in north america (he had a big following here, loved the Dukes of Hazzard stuff).
  2. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on my LC8 brothers. who can or is planning on heading to the best in the Desert series this weekend? lets not lay down for the 790 guys :)
    I posted this in the 790 forum, maybe I can get a few of you off the fence.

Special Thanks to Scott Harden for setting up an ADV class for the Best in the Desert series. 1st race this weekend, still time for you to make it :)
    [​IMG]

My Son Wes will be racing a Rottweiler prepped 790 in the class if enough ADV racers show up to compete, if not I think he will race in open class. So grab your 790 and get out there!
    Alex from Konflict was setting up the suspension a few hrs ago, here is a short video. 1st time Wes has been on a 790. I'm sure they will have it dialed by this afternoon.

are you racing your 790 or considering it? We would love to help grow ADV racing like we have in the PNW. anything we can do to help the cause, count me in. call email or throw a rock!
  3. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    For those of us who are closer to the {B}East Coast the 2020 Sandblast Rally is in about 6 weeks. Great event to race - I think cost is on par with the BITD races, although very different racing obviously. Only a few bikes signed up in the Heavy Class this year so sign up while there's still time!
  4. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Ive always wanted to do that event, it looks so cool.. being on the other end of the country has always been the issue, any other events you know of in the area to make the trip a bit more sellable to my bookkeeper:)
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  5. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Enduros and Hare Scrambles are kicking off in the next few weeks here in the Southeast so I'm sure you could find a woods race on an adjacent weekend - this could be a novel experience for you coming from WA (although I'm pretty sure you guys have woods there too... Different woods down here I guess). It'd be tough to do one in the same weekend unless it was on the proceeding Sunday (Rally is on Saturday).

Other than that, lots of cool places to visit within a few hours drive of the race (Wilmington, Charleston, Asheville, etc). I'll admit, I don't know that I'd drive 2,900 miles each way just for Sandblast...
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  6. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could realistically enter that...but the entry fees seem pretty aggressive especially since I don't already have a NASA license or anything. Hmm.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  7. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Well, I've decided I'm not doing Sandblast.

However, the opportunity has arisen to ride the BITD desert scrambles championship at the end of March. And I will actually be in the area around the same time as the Mint 400, so that is edging onto the table. If anyone here happens to have experience with the Mint in particular, please let me know and I'll send you a PM as I'd like to get a bit more information on what I might be getting myself into.

@Off Road Ryder I know it's close to Merzouga but are you or Wes planning on racing then or have any hot tips to share? :evil
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two different events that offer an adventure class coming up this spring in the West...

April 4th and 5th - Odessa, Washington. The 50th annual Desert 100 https://stumpjumpers.org/sjmc/events-and-races/desert100/
    There has always been a pretty good showing of various twin cylinder adventure bikes out there. Watch the promo video to get yourselves pump up for it.

April 25th and 26th - Virginia City, Nevada. The 49th annual Virginia City Grand Prix https://www.vcgp.com/ 2019 was the first year for an "adventure bike" class. 15 various twin cylinder bikes showed up for the inaugural class (Honda, KTM, Triumph, BMW, Ducati). 2020 should be even better. They now have a brand new class for this year too..."dual-sport", where the single cylinder bikes are a minimum of 600cc (can't wait to see a KLR out there). Here's a video from Cory...

9. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Ive never raced the Mint.. I think Wes is planning on running it on Chris's 790.. we have been waiting for the date announcement for Merzouga, which we just heard was towards the end of may.. so now Wes thinks hes going to race Sonora again.. I don't really agree with that, but what Can I say.. hopefully a far different outcome than last year.
  10. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Im proud to have gotten the ADV class off the ground at the 100. at first the club wasn't so sure about us racing the big bikes.. . I think this video I made is from the first year. maybe the second..
  11. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Hmm, okay I may try to get in touch with Wes and Chris to make sure I don't hit any snags. I've not been able to get hold of anyone with the organization to figure out how the classing would work for an ironman big bike, and with as limited as my budget is, I'd hate to sign up and then find out I can't do it. I am also planning to race the big bike class at BITD desert scrambles championship if the Mint will let me run the 950. Otherwise, I'll try to be at both on the 450.

For some reason the Merzouga site only works for me in Italian...odd. Very surprised to hear the race was pushed back that far. May 23rd-29th it looks like...might be warm. Lots of time to prepare at least. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him - the Sonora navigation practice will be valuable but might be worth taking it easy this year. I've seen Wes ride enough to know that he's got the speed part figured out :lol3
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  12. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Ive always found that I can enter a race in open class without any issues, its only the promoters that don't understand that might give you any grief. Just write down 450 on the paperwork, but bring out the 990?
    For some reason when I tell him to take it easy, he says. " I'm not here to take it easy".. I guess I didn't raise him that way, its always all or nothing for both of us.. sometimes not the smartest thing to do. at least I'm learning with age :)
    alvincullumyork and gearheadE30 like this.
  13. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    I suppose it is sometimes more effective to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. :lol3
  14. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    All signed up for the Mint 400 - Hooligan Enduro class. Should be entertaining. :beer Guess I have a month to give the bike a solid once over and make sure everything is solid. Time to get to work!
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously Jordan, have you thought about buying a 950 on the West Coast and just leaving it over here? All you would have to do is bring your current suspension with you on the plane then swap it part time on the West coast bike.
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  16. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    That's not the Jordan way...I think with everything he's done to his 950 that he'd have a super hard time trusting a stock 950 even with his suspension to race...let alone how much lighter his is than stock...

Now I do know where he could find an SE to setup...:deal
    Whodatschrome and gearheadE30 like this.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad news big bike racers...
    Because of virus concerns the Desert 100 has been cancelled for this year. If anyone is still left alive in 2021, i'll see you then...or head down south to the Virginia City Grand Prix. So far the VCGP is still a "GO!!!!!!!". There are current updates on their website and facebook page, should they be another "victim" of a race cancellation. Stay healthy everyone!
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  18. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....and the VCGP has been cancelled now too. https://www.vcgp.com/ They are hoping to reschedule the race for a later date in 2020.
  19. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Bummer. My BITD efforts got cancelled yesterday, but at least I got to race the Mint. Work and travel means I almost certainly won't be able to race a BITD event now.

[​IMG]
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’m super bummed about both of those races being cancelled. With new suspension this year, my bike should be much safer (and faster!) to ride. And my new A60 rims that I just had built should be showing up later this week...

Jordan, I think you lucked out at the Mint...I don’t think that there will be another race in United States in 2020 that will have a “big bike” class...let alone any race for any sized bike for that matter.

Stay healthy in your travels!
    gearheadE30 likes this.