Evil Black Rifles and tacticool hotness

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by CodyY, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the same scope on my RPR, for all the same reasons. I quickly found its limitations on turret accuracy, especially going and using someone’s Nightfore Beast and AX-S scopes on full build rifles. It gets the job done though.
  2. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Turret accuracy meaning actual tracking performance or just the physical turret movement? There’s definitely some mushiness if you’re paying attention. For what I paid I have zero complaints.
  3. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    C: all of the above. Tracking is fair for shooting steel but if you try to hold aim and move groups around a grid, it’s not 100% repeatable. Not awful for the money but results may vary.
  4. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m new to the AR platform and seeking advice from the collective. My preference is to buy a complete quality rifle rather than build at this point. The rifle’s purpose is defense and sport/plinking, not hunting or competition. I’d like reasonable accuracy but it doesn’t have to drive nails at 200 yards.

I’ve read most of the posts in this thread, as well as researched some of the higher-end firearms from SOLWG, DD, Bravo and FN. I’m frankly bewildered at the variety and am still torn between 5.56 and 7.62.

If you had to pick one AR, what would you choose and why? If Sons of Liberty (that’s what I’m leaning toward), what particular model and barrel length. I’d like to keep it to $1,500-2,000, not including optics. If you really like a lower priced rifle, feel free to share your wisdom.

Thanks in advance for your input!
  5. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Primary Weapons System MK114 Mod-1. It is by far my favorite rifle. It has an unconventional gas piston that keeps it extremely clean especially considering I always run it suppressed.
    GordonFreeman likes this.
  6. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Since you said defense. Bravo Co.

Sounds like 16" .223/ 5.56 will suffice for all of your intended uses. I have not shopped their site lately, but if you can get a .223 Wylde, that's what I'd go with.
    dmason and GordonFreeman like this.
  7. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can put together a very good rifle using PSA parts. I’ve built a few and had great results. If you’re not interested in building an AR they have complete rifles as well. If none of the completed rifles they offer appeal To you, there’s always the option of buying a complete upper and mating it to a complete lower. I got lazy this time around and I’m combining a complete Magpul ACS-L lower with an 18” 416 SS barrel In .223 Wylde and 15” M-Lok upper with Magpull back up sights, bcg and charging handle. In other words, for under 8 bills I’ll pin it together and head to the range. I’ll swap out the trigger and add an optic at some point but a similarly spec’d SOL is more than twice as much and most of the parts come from the same place. PSA is in the same town as FN.
  8. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. More research to do . . . .
  9. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, these showed up today. They are the nicest friggin' mags I've ever handled. Can't wait to actually use them, but something tells me there will be nothing to tell, as they will work flawlessly.

[​IMG]

And I added a nice little rack to the safe.

[​IMG]

I think I'm ready for the zombies.

[​IMG]

S.C.
  10. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    So I've been thinking about building a budget 9mm SMG clone. Can someone recommend a lower that uses the correct Colt mag but also features a full size mag well? I dislike the look of Glock-mag-fed AR's.

I think Rock River makes one, anyone else.
  11. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you find your self in a full blown war, give considerable thought to the merits of using any centerfire rifle for self defense. Do you really want to risk being held liable for your neighbors three houses away with an errant shot fired at an intruder inside your own home? If self defense is an actual motivation, give some thought to a scatter gun with more than two shots available, think 12 ga pump (Rem 870, etc) instead of a SxS. Or a wonder 9 with a 15 shot+ mag. But have an attached weapon light White) and maybe an aimed laser sight as well.

Nothing wrong with .223/5.56 for casual target shooting, plinking. Anything bigger, 7.62 for instance is serious over kill. How much energy is needed to punch holes through paper? There's a very real reason for the overwhelming popularity of .22LR, and the sheer numbers Ruger continues to crank out of their 10/22. While not as cheap as even high end .22LR, .223/5.56 is relatively affordable compared to nearly every other centerfire rifle cartridge. If you hope for good accuracy with .223/5.56, expect to spend about $0.90 per cartridge, compare that to even Eley Tenex to appreciate another perspective on .22LR.

The various entry level AR-15's are mostly OK. The Ruger variant is just one example. Look carefully at what is available and take various online reviews with a grain of salt. I personally chose a Springfield Armory Saint Victor due to standard features that appealed to me, knowing I would almost immediately go with a better, non-lawyerized trigger, I chose the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger. There are others maybe just as good, but not likely better, and I'm a bit of a no excuses, no BS shooter. If you are considering .223/5.56 strongly consider a 1:8" twist barrel, anything slower won't stabilize the heavier, most accurate loads, and 1:7" is pretty much overkill, 1:8" barrels seem to be the sweet spot.

https://geissele.com/super-semi-automatic-enhanced-ssa-e-trigger.html

Similarly, I'm partial to Leupold scopes, my eyes aren't what they once were with irons. The ability to maintain a zero, including returning after situational adjustments is important to me. I have an older 2 - 7 X 33 and a 4 - 12 X 40 that have served me well on several rifles through the years, the shorter is my go-to choice out to 200 yards and the longer suits my needs at 300 yards, the longest limit of my area shooting club. We also have 600 & 1K yard ranges which are currently difficult access due to a mandate of an RO, a bit of a Catch-22 during these Covid-19 times. Regardless, my hunting days are behind me and I'm currently collecting the bits & pieces necessary to update my .308 Remington Seven to a somewhat tacti-cool 6.5 Creedmmoor bolt gun with a removable magazine. A Remington 22" Tactical take-off barrel, muzzle break and Leopold 6 - 18 scope are on a shelf under my loading bench. I was shopping a modular chassis for this project earlier today.

**edit: I'll be staying with the original laminate stock but adding the replacement trigger guard bottom metal to accommodate a removable magazine, and a Timney trigger adjusted to a 2 lbs break. I also have a muzzle break for the 22" bull barrel.
  12. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    here are two NON evil New Yorkers!! :)
    wood ak ar.jpg
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  13. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    For 1,500 I would get an AK and an AR from Palmetto State.

Or a 308 and a 556 from Palmetto.
    Hatch, Vinz Klortho and GordonFreeman like this.
  14. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    IMHO anything in 30 cal is overkill for home defense. I enjoy plinking with my AK because ammo is so cheap. I own a few rifles in 762x51 but that ammo is so expensive - to me - that I dont shoot them much. I second the motion for a nice 12gauge.

And regarding the AK and AR above; They may not be evil but it's a cryin' shame to be forced to f@^k up two perfectly good rifles like that.
  15. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that stainless one on the door a Delta Elite?
  16. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yessir.

S.C.
  17. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying (and not yet succeeding) to understand the ergos of this AR. I see a trigger, I see a wrist in the butt stock, but seriously how does one bridge that gap?
  18. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I found it very comfortable and actually like the minimalist/low profile look that gives to the gun!
    Uke and Fat Toney like this.
  19. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found this in a box of stuff from my childhood. Back when squirt guns were cool.

Adjustments.jpg
    Vinz Klortho likes this.
  20. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer: