1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Evil Black Rifles and tacticool hotness

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by CodyY, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone here suggested Primary Arms 1-4 classic. Put it on one I built. Works great.

IMG_8163.png

IMG_8162.png
  2. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Love that DOE gun! I'm "building" a 635 clone but I dont have to tell you all how hard it is to get parts at the moment.

You went to all the trouble to acquire really hard-to-find parts and then put a brace on it? I know it's none of my business but c'mon man! SBR that puppy if you can. Put the correct stock on it!
  4. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t know anything about your fancy 635 clone talk, but I got a blade 2, it’s Mui Bueno!
  5. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    The gun he built is sort of the Holy Grail of Colt 9mm SMGs. The handguard and front sight on the DOE are really hard to find. He used real Colt upper and lower receivers too!

The 635...

colt635.jpg

The newer 635 uses a standard M4 buttstock.
    Fat Toney likes this.
  6. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the laws on building these shorty rifles? Someone told me you can build it as a pistol with, for example, an 11" barrrel and brace instead of a stock. Then if you want, you can add a regular stock later and be within the law. But if you build it with a regular stock and short barrel, you have now built yourself an SBR and need to get NFA blessing on it. Basically, you can go one way, but not the other. Is that about right? I'm not building anything short until I completely understand the laws. No need to spend ten years at a Club Fed because of ignorance.

S.C.
  7. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    What are the laws on building these shorty rifles? Someone told me you can build it as a pistol with, for example, an 11" barrrel and brace instead of a stock. Then if you want, you can add a regular stock later and be within the law.

That's incorrect. Under no circumstances could you build an AR pistol (or any of these new fangled pistols) then replace the brace with a real stock without an approved Form 1 first.

But if you build it with a regular stock and short barrel, you have now built yourself an SBR and need to get NFA blessing on it.

You have to get your Form 1 approved BEFORE you assemble the firearm

Basically, you can go one way, but not the other. Is that about right? I'm not building anything short until I completely understand the laws. No need to spend ten years at a Club Fed because of ignorance.

I cant remember the finer points, which is important when discussing things that can land you in prison. AR receivers are a one way street but I cant remember which way they go. Once a receiver is registered as pistol I think it has to remain a pistol IIRC (I may have this backwards) but you can build a pistol out of a rifle receiver.

And dont forget the engraving requirement. The builder's name and city have to be engraved on the SBR.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.
    KeithinSC likes this.
  8. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my 9mm upper. Crappy low light photo...

NFA'd Colt SBR lower from my 6933. Geissele SSA, Rock River adapter block for Colt magazines, and 8.5 oz. buffer. Upper is a Barrett with AR15part full-ramp bolt, Wilson 7.5" barrel, tube handguard, Aimpoint PRO

Works a treat. No hiccups.

upload_2020-9-25_1-23-8.png
    Vinz Klortho and Buzztail like this.
  9. Ge-Mini-gun

Ge-Mini-gun Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished my PSA lower build I’ve had for close to two years and now I’m looking for insight on what to add, just ordered a Magpul carbine length (7”) handguard. Couple things, currently running a Strikefire II red dot, while a very good scope it doesn’t seem to have a great field of view, so I’m thinking about replacing it with something else, but not sure what, so ideas please. Next, I need to add a light, I’ve never had a light on any AR I’ve owned so no idea where to start…thinking Streamlight TLR series, maybe with laser, so ideas there as well. As mentioned the handguard is only 7” long so real estate is limited, but has slots @ 2, 6 and 10 o’clock the entire length. So what do you have? Thanks for the help.
  10. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this is correct enough to know I don't want to deal with that right now. :lol3

Maybe somewhere down the road, I'll go through those hoops, but I don't need a fancy little AR right now. I'm happy building full size rigs.

S.C.
    Vinz Klortho likes this.
  11. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m building a pistol now and have done enough research to be comfortable; YMMV.

The “short” of it is, once a rifle, always a rifle. You’d need a stamp and SBR licensing to put a brace and under 16” barrel on the firearm.

If you start with a pistol receiver, you can build a pistol or rifle, and back to a pistol again with no further hassle from the Feds. I’m starting with a BCM pistol receiver via my FFL. There’s an “other” receiver category that I understand can be designated “pistol” when you build it up but I personally felt I didn’t have the experience or comfort level to go that route first time out.

I wouldn’t rely on motorcycle forum advice to keep things legal, and would encourage you to do your homework to your own comfort level, but since you asked and it’s current project for me, I’ll offer my meager two cents.

Uke, scottcolbath and Vinz Klortho like this.
  12. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    If I may...

You dont need a Form 1 to "brace" and AR pistol. That's just a pistol with a brace on it.

An AR with a barrel length of less than 16 inches and a conventional stock (not a brace) requires an approved Form 1 prior to assembly.

If installing a brace remember that length of pull can become a sticking point. I believe you could start to show up on their radar if LOP exceeds 13 inches.
  13. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about if you have an 80% lower that you machined to completion? It could, in theory be bounced around in configurations as long as its not an SBR, no?

Asking for a friend since I lost all my firearms and ammo in an unfortunate boating accident
  14. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This isn't correct
    Buzztail likes this.
  15. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    School me, please.
  16. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    legally I would think it should work the same way that T/C receivers do. Once it’s a rifle, it’s ALWAYS a rifle. If it starts life as a pistol and you make it a rifle it’s from then on a rifle (16+”) Throw on a short tube- even without a stock and it’s an SBR. Unless you’ve got a stamp there is no switching to and fro. Blade/brace, or otherwise. Now that being said- I don’t know how that would work with an 80% lower.
    One of my lowers is a pistol. It’s got a shorty upper on it now, and always will. Never a stock. Never a rifle length barrel. Just like my Contender receivers. One is a pistol, the other a rifle. The two don’t mix parts.
    I’ve learned over the years that this is one grey area that you don’t screw around in:deal

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, do so at your own peril.......Etc.
    Uke likes this.
  17. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    A pistol can be made into a rifle and back into a pistol if desired.

If originally a rifle, one must do a Form 1 to make it a pistol or SBR.

A lower is just a lower. It can go either way, so slap a short barrel and brace on it first. If you install a long barrel and stock first, now you’ve made life complicated.

Make sense?

Pistol to rifle ok.

Rifle to pistol or SBR only ok with a Form 1.
  18. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Went to a buddy's place out in the boonies for a few days. Took some firearms. He's got about 4000 acres so we had plenty of room. Here's a quick, poor quality phone vid of my AR pistol at dusk.

dmason likes this.