EVOLUTION of our 2up ADVriding LOVE past and present. PART 2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Oldschoolrocker, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    July 14th we ended up meeting the Sound sound boys again led as usual by @Gootch who always has a good plan. Todays ride yould take us from Olympia to Mt St Helens. Never had done this trip before and had always heard about NFD 23 which actually runs from Randle WA to the Columbia river. Its off of 23 that you wind your way up to Windy ridge. And be prepared because the roads have some real evil frost heaves that have taken down alot of riders. EF0A0C7B-40A9-4447-B9FB-587915DD51D2.jpeg 91711C50-4515-4EF7-B01F-A90EF3B6D0E0.jpeg 06060BD2-D73F-4C3F-9244-06CE994EA0E9.jpeg 4873F3AE-A44A-407A-9A59-2351E514D677.jpeg
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    It was time to get the KTM ready. No the shock wasnt replaced..they didnt have the tool to remove the spring. That story will continue. 95E3CE83-AAB7-48D9-8586-5B9C6632874A.jpeg After the Wallowa jamboree trip I learned a few things. Pack simpler. So a bigger top box wa in order. Thanks HOME DEPOT! E35ABE27-67D8-4EA0-AD7E-266D98C02D88.jpeg And I built a support to mount the heavier tool roll under the headlamp area. A2F02BE7-6F90-438A-A58C-4AC510157F54.jpeg And of course a new K60. Because it had served us so well I saw no reason to switch. The front was still in great shape. This time I modified it with larger gaps down the middle of the tire. 4205691E-F946-4626-BBB6-882F3932607A.jpeg What we had lined up was going to be a 7 day ride/camp so a streamlined camp setup was in order.
    klaviator, EZMoney and rick danger like this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Coming up...the 2018 BOM 1000 2up! Stay tuned!! Crazy fools on the scene!!:clap C9E8DB05-36F0-4D18-9D7D-29E1CE5C11C7.jpeg
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You skipped the part about the dog on the Mt. St. Helens ride. I want to hear you describe it so that I can embellish it!
  5. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Oh crap!! And I was going too! HERE WE GO!!! Haha! So there we were cruising down some country backroad near the coal fired steam plant that Gov. Ensle thought he was going to shut down with the latest election. NOT!! Well we came to an intersection that I had to stop at. Some dude on a big fat tired KAWASAKI ZX-14 ended up joining our group which I believe was 8 bikes. I was second to the last followed by DRONE in his BAD BOY road only side car rig with his wife and dogs...yes two dogs in there with her. Well we were putting along, not at the blistering ticket getting speed we had been earlier. I saw up ahead a big black lab on the road that others had slowed a bit for then he was gone. I came upon the area at maybe 35 mph? and sure as shit the thing jumped out from the side of the brush! I hit it dead on, hung onto the bike for all it was worth and finally coming to a stop. Pheeew!!! The front fender skidded past us along the road. I hopped of the bike to chk on the dog but he was no where in site. Really weird! Drone stopped to make sure we were ok which we were but a bit shaken. I picked up the pieces and Drone saved them for me in his huge trunk and rode the rest of the trip “road warrior” style. Hitting anything at speed would just be the worst and is always possible and something that could happen. One always just tries to be careful, especially 2up, and hope for a safe ride.
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    OK, picture it--two up, 35mph, 2-lane backcountry road with thick woods on both sides, dog jumps out and Old School Rocker performs this AMAZING duck-and-dodge swooping swerve while simultaneously whacking the brakes (2-up remember) and despite these heroics the dog, yes the dog, matches him move-for-move resulting in the inevitable impact. The dog takes the front wheel hit right in the rib cage and goes flying. The bike bucks and wobbles, parts flying off (the aforementioned front fender), rider and pillion holding on heroically, as Old School brings the bike to a stop. I'm maybe 100 yards back. Despite the fact that the collision was not avoided, it was still one of the most memorable, instinctive, skillful and instantaneous reactions to a suddenly appearing obstacle you can imagine. It all happened in a couple of seconds, and was over practically before I realized what was happening, yet it left these indelible images in my head.

If you've been reading this thread, some of you might think that Old School makes some of his exploits sound a little unlikely. Fear not. This guy's the real deal. And the courageous HoneyBunny is 100% committed to the ride and knows exactly how to handle every situation. Truly a special pair of riders. Met them for the first time this year at the Wallowa Jamboree, then again on this ride (at their invite), then again on the Best of Montana 1000 ride. Cool dudes!
  7. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    He honed his skills avoiding black bears. :lol3
  8. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I just found your RR and enjoyed it. Good dialog and pics. My wife and I have done many of the same routes on our '11 KTM 990 Dakar. Thanks for posting.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Thanks !! Nice seeing someone just up the street! Looks like we need to met up sometime and have a great burger at Time out Ale house! :raindance
    dondesmo likes this.
  10. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Shoot me a PM and maybe we can met for a beer sometime.
  11. Captain Salmon

Captain Salmon Honda Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    What happened to our storyteller? Don't tell me you are working.
    rick danger likes this.
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Haha!! I’ll get back to it soon. Thanksgiving and now Christmas kinda took priority for a bit. Also doing some Maintainance on the bike. Got a happy place for it too!! Happy Holidays you all!! Looking forward to next year!! Cheers!! 28B52BF1-9391-4F30-8343-4C662EC3E4AC.jpeg
    klaviator, LC1, rick danger and 2 others like this.
  13. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure am enjoying this thread, happy holidays to you and Honeybunny.
  14. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread, Oldschool!!! Just got through the entire read!

I gotta say, with all that German flag swag in the last picture, you are riding the wrong brand! :) Kidding, of course. You've really inspired me to look into parking a bike near Spokane airport so my better half and I can do some riding out that way. Beautiful country you've got out there!
  15. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!! I’ll try and continue the story next week. One of the best rides is next!! In the mean time i’ ve been slowly working on the bike. Looks like 2019 will be grand for adventures! Cheers!!
  16. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    I live a little south of Spokane, you are more then welcome to park a bike in my shop.
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  17. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, L2R...I'll certainly keep that in mind!!! We're trying to work out vacation time for 2019 to what kind of time we'll need to make it worthwhile. Thanks again!!!
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Hello you all!! Guess its time to get this LOVE affair rolling. So after our trip to the Wallowa jamboree and all the backcountry terrain we had covered 2 up I felt pretty confident about future offroad excursions. I had been eyeballing the 2018 BOM1000 thread and asked questions to the past participants about doing it 2up. Alot of people said NO and some said MAYBE. Well I said YES !!! I was willing to give it a whirl and figured we could always bail if it was too much. 524B1357-0FDB-411A-9CBB-1130ACDD9F5F.png
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-best-of-montana-1000-planning.1277586/ So heres the link that started it all if you have never seen it. There is alot of sadness in there as Ron Wansfel had suddenly passed during the planning stages. It was definately something that hit ALOT of people really hard including myself. I had never met the man but had correspondence with him regarding the ride so to lose a great man like him was tough. Everyone eventually regrouped and @Timmer took the raines to make it all happen. 054C3325-5C8E-4257-BDB3-D70AC1E2286A.png 201E9131-1210-4727-9DBF-4386991588E2.png
  20. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Lets talk about Bike loading!! Hahaha!! This first pic cracks me up! Yes those are coats piled on top of trunk!! So because this was going to be a 7 day ride/camp event I had to figure out a more streamlined set up. Ha!! Not that easy when your 2up but we did. I found a smaller cheap tent that packed up super small, larger trunk allowed for compression bags with clothes to go inside( no soft paniers), and also all the other essentials including an extra gallon of water. Still needed 2 bed rolls, bedding(in our case we have a down comforter that rolls up small) and you know what else is needed! EEDC52AE-020F-4163-90BD-DDFA93C9D05F.jpeg Heres the bike at a rest stop on the way to Spokane. Tool rolls on each side of crash bars..one has a chair, the other heavy duty stakes, rope etc. 3BAFDB53-56C2-4D8A-B7BF-925FF1E71D29.jpeg And a look at it from the front. Yeah those tool rolls on crash bars worked fine but wont be there in 2019. Notice the real tool roll under the headlamp. That was a good spot and never ever shook lose. Had what I needed just in case!! 5AD70118-746F-4100-9D92-7AF167AAC270.jpeg Heres the bike at the end of the trip on the way home. Left ammo box is “the garage” right one is “the kitchen”.